Author Topic: advice, please!  (Read 5288 times)

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Wolfie & Freddie: The New Puppy
advice, please!
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:21:13 pm »
just adopted a second pyr - a sweet, shy two year old girl.  we think she was abused in her last home - she is very timid and cowers at any noise or sudden movements.  i am looking for some advice about eating and drinking.  we've had her since sunday, and she has probably only eaten a half a cup of food since then, a few pieces of cheese, and (ew) cat food.  she's not malnuerished - the vet says maybe 8-10 lbs underweight, and he's sure she'll come around.  in the meantime, we've tried everything we can think of - she has no interest in chicken or steak (or regular dog food).  it also takes a lot of coaxing to get her to drink anything.  we've tried staying with her, leaving her alone, etc.  the only time she will eat is on the bed, with the cats around her having treats of their own, and our other pyr munching on treats sitting next to the bed.  it all seems very strange.  she drinks the most when simon, our oldest cat, is curled up next to her.  any ideas/suggestions?  we're so worried.  she is just the sweetest thing, she loves to come over, put her paws in our lap, and snuggle her head into our arms/shoulders.  we just want her to know she is home for good, and we won't let anyone hurt her.  help!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:23:45 pm by jdumin »

doggylover

Re: advice, please!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:48:43 pm »
I think it is sweet, and certainly understandable that you are so concerned, but I think she just needs some time.  I would try if you can, to downplay the food thing, not make a big deal of it.  I would try to get her on a regular schedule and cut out the treats until she has her appetite back.  Like maybe breakfast and dinner only, no in between yummys, so she is more hungry at meal time. 
Do you happen to know what she ate before she came to you?
 :)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:09:16 am »
Just give her time and she will come around... On the other hand, I wouldnt overly baby her or coax her because you could be creating the devil in disguise.  Pyr are (as you know) very intelligent dogs and well they know how to figure their humans out.

I would leave the food out for her along with water and allow her to eat when she is comfortable.  I also wouldnt smother her, just let her come to you and get used to her new home on her own time/schedule

You also have to remember the independent nature of the LGDs and them restablishing a bond maybe more difficult than velcro dogs like mastiffs etc...

Time, space, love, food, shelter and she will come around
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:30:54 am »
Yep, give her a little time.  Baloo would pick at food for a week after we got him.  Also, don't forget, it's summer and that could have a small something to do with it. 

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:14:36 am »
thanks for all the help.  we'll try to chill out and see what happens.  we did think about the bowl placement, and set up a little area where she has three walls behind her and the food in front of her, so she can see us coming.  she likes to lay there on a dog bed, but so far has only taken a drink (there) when i put it right between her paws on the bed.

i think she has decided that our bed is her favorite spot...  she runs upstairs given the chance, and charges into the room and onto the bed, even if it means scampering between our legs or (once) over a shoulder, onto the bedside table, to the bed.  the cat comes running to see her, leaps up, and curls up with her.  it seems they have already developed a strange bond.  she will eat a treat and drink on the bed if simon's with her.  weird.

pictures are forthcoming...

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:24:22 am »
Awww, she sounds sweet!  It does sound like she just needs a little time to realize that she's in a good, safe place.  Give her some extra snuggles from us!  Also, please post pics! :)  How wonderful that you have given her a great home!

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:38:16 pm »
charlotte is doing much better today.  she seems to have calmed down about needing to get to the bed, and is exploring the rest of the house.  also, she finally ate some dog food this afternoon!  phew.  and we found out she likes feta as much as our other pyr, freddie.

here are a few pics - one w/our cat longtail, and two of her outside.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:19:38 am »
Contrags on the new girl.  She sure is pretty!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:22:09 am »
Wow!  She sure is pretty!  What a sweet face she has! :) Glad to hear she is settling in. :)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 10:24:14 pm »
WOW! look at your house! i love it!!! (the dog isn't too shabby either!) anyway, i think she needs time, a good sceduale, good food, and to eat in the same place everyday. not really whyerever she WILL eat, but where you want her to eat in the long run. baby steps are key. try beside the bed, then down the hall, unto the kitchen whatever untill she is where u want her. this may take months but it will work. read what i said on your other post.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:30 am »
This obe is so easy.
A. Cook a great steak
B. Walk away with the steak at dog level or a little higher for more sport.
When you return you will have well fed happy dog
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse