Author Topic: Extended Gum Tissue  (Read 1896 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Extended Gum Tissue
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:29:03 pm »
Today we went to the vet for our yearly check up. Bear is a healthy boy of 148 lbs.!

I did have a question though...my vet kinda scared me when she mentioned the small gum tissue that he has in the front of his tooth. She said in some breeds it means cancer :o but if it doesn't grow then it is ok- just plaque build up. She also said it moves so it is a good sign. Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I be worried??
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Gum Tissue
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:54 pm »
My mom who works for a vet said just to keep an eye on it and if it changes color or grows suddenly to get him to the vet and have it removed.  Poor Bear give him a hug and kiss from Aunty Erin and Kali sends slobbers.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:46:52 pm »
My good friend who has seven (yep!7!!) Newfies has one guy with a similar problem.  His gums are actually starting to cover his bottom teeth.  She took him to a veterinary dentist for a consultation and it can be removed....so she's saving for the operation. 

As a side light, she got three Newf puppies from one litter and they were playing as only 100+ lb puppies can play and one of the pups knocked the bottom canine out of another pup's mouth.  She had to take him in to this same dentist to have a false tooth put in and it's stainless steel!  It is hysterical!!!  Talk about a scary-looking black teddy bear!   ;D ;D

I'm sure Bear will be fine...but you might want to talk to a veterinary dentist to make sure.  He's in Manhattan Beach, I think...not too far from Michael's new office. ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 02:13:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I hope that he is ok but you know vet's just have a way of making things so dramatic and scary. Grrr.... >:(

Mari,
I would love to meet the Newf with afake tooth....that just sounds so cool to see in person.  :D I wonder, has he ever set off any metal detectors?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.