Author Topic: Kali just tried to Kill Me  (Read 4474 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Kali just tried to Kill Me
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:34:41 pm »
I just took Kali out because she asked.  I had her on our retractable leash.  She found a big chunk of wood and I went to take it away from her.  She took off and I tried to keep up but she turned the corner around our landscaping and took off like a rocket.  Unfortunately she weighs more than I do now and she jerked me off my feet and I slammed head first into the frozen ground and got dragged a few feet before I could let go.  So now I have a splitting headache and my hip is burning from being dragged and I smell like grass.  From now on she's going out on a chokechain and short leash....I can't wait till the yard gets fenced in during spring.

Then she came back to me and looked at me like what are you doing on the ground and stood over me.  At least she came back so I couldn't yell.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Kali just tried to Kill Me
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:39:30 pm »
oh my thank goodness your ok. Minus the headache, but you could have broken something!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 12:42:53 pm »
Retractable leashes are the devil for sure!!! :( I feel your pain! :-\...Oh yes I do!!...We got Samson, our 1st Great Pyrenees,  in Nov. of 2004...We did not get a fence until spring 2005...Samson once took off the opposite way that I was going on the end of his retractable leash & yanked my shoulder so far out that I could not squeeze my fingers together to pick up a pair of shoes!...He learned to "go" on a short leash after that!...I don't think you'll need the choke chain...You'll have more control with a regular 6 ft. leash & they can't get a good run to yank you over...Good luck!!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:09:36 pm »
Ouch!!  I hope you are alright!!

Harley isn't nearly as big as your dog, however, one night on the way into obedience school I tripped on the curb and went down; I thought my best buddy Harley would be worried about me and sit by my side...NOPE took off running then I had to worry about losing him in the dark, running in the road and not being able to get up.  Thankfully, because Harley has issues he went and found a nice pomeranian to mount and the owner held onto him for me....good thing he is such a perv!!

Offline goldenlovingknitter

• Ankle Biter
  • The Goof Troop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 01:51:09 pm »
Hope you're feeling better soon! 

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 02:49:23 pm »
Oh no!   I immediately flashed back to my daugher and the skin ripped off her elbows and stomach after Jilly pulled down the driveway when a chipmunk raced by. 
My husband's didn't think before he opened his mouth reply was, "Why didn't you let go?" 
Yea...right... ..spoken by someone who is 6 foot 4 inches and has never been pulled by a dog.  Geesh!
Have you ever tried a gentle leader?   They work great once you get the monster used to them.  Dog...not the husband.....al though.....hmm mm..... ::)

Feel better soon.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 03:05:27 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I'm feeling better now although tomorrow may be a different story :-\.  Thankfully the ice crusted snow had melted off in the spot I landed :D.  Generally I only had to take her on a short leash if Lacey's out with someone else because she likes to chew on Lacey and drag her around.  She's generally an angel on the choke collar because that's what she was trained with and after the first correction is fine unless she's somewhere extremely distracting.  But I'll probably just use her regular collar if i'm taking her out alone.  I'd let her off leash except she refuses to come if she wants to play.  Only car keys, the soccer ball or someone she hasn't seen will get her inside most of the time. 

Do any of you use the limited training collars?  How effective are they?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:04 pm »
We've ended up using a pinch collar on Chester with a 6 ft lead....the "big dog" one with another handle up close to the collar.  Works GREAT!  I swear my shoulder had been dislocated from his pulling....and now he doesn't!  For him, the pinch collar works GREAT!

I hope you feel better tomorrow!  Maybe you should take an Advil or two just in case!!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 04:05:04 pm »
How big is Kali now?  The only picture I have seen of her is the puppy shot on your Avatar.  If she doesn't come when you call her, it sounds like she needs a little obedience training.  The BEST thing we ever did was enroll Drake in Family Dog 1 at our local Humane Society.  He learned all the bread & butter basic obedience skills and it has really paid off.  Sit Stay, Leave it, Drop it, Come, etc. etc.  Training your dog in that kind of environment is the best, you have a trained professional working with you and giving you tips and in the end, it will make obedience training that much more effective on your dog.  Trying to do it on your own can be much more difficult.  Granted, Drake isn't a robot now.  He doesn't always do exactly what we say, but 99% if the time he does.  Training isn't going to weed out every behaviour issue or prevent any accidents like the one you had, but it does work.  Check with your loacal Humane Society, pound or SPCA and see if they offer this service, it shouldn't be too expensive.  Good luck!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:30:30 pm »
Both my dogs are have gone through classes and passed.  They both do really well except when Rocco senses freedom he takes off.  Two trainers have told me he will grow out of it or he will just always do it.  I have changed myself in order to not have him in any situation where he can get loose.  On a gentle leader he is right next to me and behaves, on a regular leash he is good, but on a retractable he smells freedom

Rocco took me for a slide on a retractable once and I haven't used it since.  I let my dogs go on tie outs and I just stand there and watch them.  But the fence should be up when I get home today.

I bet she won't do it again since she senses she hurt you.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 10:41:50 am »
She did have obedience training but the problem is she gets fixated on things or determines it's playtime and there is little you can do to get her to come when she's off leash.  She doesn't take off she just runs circles around you.  And she never really figured out the fact the retractable ends.  So from now on she's going out on a shorter leash so she has less distance to gain momentum.  I've posted pics of her elsewhere but I'll put one here so you can see her.

Taken last week but she's gotten a little taller

Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 12:17:58 pm »
Hope you are feeling better today!  I do understand the yanking dog syndrome....

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 01:46:51 pm »
My neck and back are killing me but it didn't help I was out late at a friend's party  :P.  But I plan on hitting the hot tub tonight to relax the muscles but until then not sudden head turns for me...
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 01:52:35 pm »
Glad to hear you are not too bad today. Those flying dog leaps and jerks sure do hurt. Puck did it to me once. It took me a week before I could open my hand up all the way withour pain. ::)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 02:10:43 pm »
She did have obedience training but the problem is she gets fixated on things or determines it's playtime and there is little you can do to get her to come when she's off leash.  She doesn't take off she just runs circles around you.  And she never really figured out the fact the retractable ends.  So from now on she's going out on a shorter leash so she has less distance to gain momentum.  I've posted pics of her elsewhere but I'll put one here so you can see her.

Taken last week but she's gotten a little taller

Kali is a cutie!!!  She lost the puppy fuzz on her head.  I see a lot of Newfs and Saints lose that, for some reason Drake didn't.  I wonder why, different genetics I guess.  She looks like a sweet girl, don't get too frustrated with her.  She may get distracted at times but so do all dogs.   Hopefully, if she ever yanks you over again, you fall on some nice soft grass or thick powdery snow. ;)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 02:14:30 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.