Author Topic: what's w/ the super aggressive behavior??  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
what's w/ the super aggressive behavior??
« on: December 14, 2005, 07:16:54 pm »
omg!! between today and yesterday things have not gone well!  i don't know if it's the full moon or what!?! but fumble has been so aggressive lately... he keeps coming up and just biting me! and i took him for 2 long walks today, because i thought he might have too much energy, but that doesn't seem to be it!  i thought newfies were supposed to be all cuddly and gentle, and fumble hasn't fit that the past two days!! eeekkk!! sorry, just needed to vent!!   :-\
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Re: what's w/ the super aggressive behavior??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:20:10 pm »
Is it 'mean' biting or 'hey I'm playful and I'm not sure how to show it' biting?
Daisy used to get so excited playing and would nip at me.
Ended up using the squirt bottle on her to curb her 'excitement'.

Hope it gets 'nipped in the bud' soon.
(sorry...couldn't help myself)

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:26:44 pm »
Is it 'mean' biting or 'hey I'm playful and I'm not sure how to show it' biting?
Daisy used to get so excited playing and would nip at me.
Ended up using the squirt bottle on her to curb her 'excitement'.

Hope it gets 'nipped in the bud' soon.
(sorry...couldn't help myself)

-Wendy

hahaha.. that's funny! i probably wouldn't be able to resist either! hahaha.. i think it's "i'm playful, and don't know how to show it".. at least i hope that's what it is! lol!! any tips or ideas???
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:52:12 pm »
You might want to have a toy or something handy so when he comes up and nips you, you can shove it in his direction and play. Distraction works alot!    ;D You might also just love on him when he does it too. When Bear comes up to me and he wants attention he'll shove his way into my space at any cost. If I'm busy and on the puter I'll usually just turn around and give him some big hugs and play tug-o-war with him or something til I can make myself fully available. I'm sure Fumble just wants extra loving!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:23:11 pm »
I agree....Mike is in that phase right now....He will come up first and bump me hard with his nose to say Hey, Mom....I want some lovin!!  If I didn't pay attention to that I might get this little nip in the back of the arm or my butt!!!  It is really a little nip with a big set of teeth.  I realize that this is a phase in his life and it will end so I just really try hard not to react by laughing or anything else.  I wait a minute and then give him lots of loving...that is really what he wants..his huggies and smoochies.  Then he will just stand by me while I keep my hand on him and he lets me go back to what I am doing.  I know he loves me dearly and he knows how much I love him and that he is "Always My Hero"!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 09:41:58 pm »
Daisy actually did some damage to my leg during this nipping period.  She would get so excited and she was so big at 5 months (when we got her) ....she bit through my jeans and broke the skin.  There were two puncture wounds and bruising.  Some people questioned my sanity in keeping her but she wasn't being mean. She was wagging her tail and jumping around the entire time. 
I started using the spray bottle and squirted her dead in the face.  That calmed her down and got her attention.    When she approaches me outside I stand side by side with her and pull her in to me for a hug.  She's started leaning against me now which is totally acceptable.     She's also learned what "NO BITE" means and what "KISSES" means.   
So basically it's a combination of correction and positive reinforcement.
It does get better.

Best wishes,
Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 11:00:21 pm »
ooh thanks everyone for your reinforcement!  i truely needed it! especially today! lol!!  we used to use the lemon water, and i think i might have to start it again, just so he gets off of the biting me thing..

but i'm such a proud mama! i left him today for 2 hours and didn't put him in his crate.. i was soo worried that he was going to destroy the house, but i know he had so much energy that i felt like putting him in the small space wasn't a good idea. well.. i was really nervous, but then when i came home! it looked like nothing was touched, like he had just fallen asleep as soon as we left! ooh what a big baby! i just love him! eheheh.. and just want to get on the floor and roll around with him, which is what i think i am going to do!!  :)
thanks again!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 11:03:22 pm »
Yea Fumble!!!
Good job on being left alone!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 08:46:46 pm »
The nipping can be worse with the following, pups brought home that were not socialized properly with other adults and kept with the pack during the critical phase of bite inhibition, during the five to eight week period, anyone getting their pup before nine weeks is asking for heightened testing of the teeth, those that bought said pup from mills or where the pup was housed in a kennel with other pups where human did not interract as chew toy and shape the personality for the prospective owners, will be more so than those who chew on breeder during five to eight week stage and are trained and corrected properly several times a day.
many pups are very spoiled when brought home, who cant spoil them?
and than they are braver and braver about the mouthing thang.
that is why it is crucial t hat pups be wi6th a conscientous breeder until at the very least, 9 weeks of age, one who will sit in the den of mouthing teething pups and correct and train and has them in their home, not in a kennel situation.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505