Author Topic: Uh-oh! Big trouble  (Read 9140 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Uh-oh! Big trouble
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 01:56:27 am »
I am glad to hear that this is all getting ironed out.  Wife sounds a bit looney, thank God the husband has his head screwed on straight.  Just remember, you did what was right.  What if next time it is someones child and not a dog or cat? 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 02:28:58 am »
Yeah, I did feel like kind of a jerk when I went home to walk Sadie at lunch today and the poor guy was signing for the certified letter I sent him. He'll have to realize I sent it before we talked right?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 02:47:46 am »
Don't feel bad.  In a situation like this, you've GOT to have documentation of everything you do--which is what you tell him if it ever comes up ("Oh, I sent it registered so I had a receipt to put in Sadie's vet file...")

Besides...he knows he's married to a nut with a psycho rat dog. 

He'll probably just assume you sent it registered so that you'd have proof that it got delivered if SHE got it and threw it away.

I'm just glad SOMEONE is being reasonable about this with you.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 04:17:32 am »
BUMP

Anything new on this situation?
Sarah

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 09:56:15 am »
BUMP

Anything new on this situation?

Nothing really new, but it did get resolved amongst ourselves. They agreed to keep their dog leashed (which, so far, they have done) and pay for Sadie and Maggie's vet visit and I agreed to let it go. The complaint with animal control is filed however, so if anything ever happens again, it's there. Hopefully won't have to. The husband is really very nice and reasonable and asked that if there's ever a problem again that I deal with him. I really wish it had been him out with the dogs that day, maybe this never would've gotten so out of control. It has been awkward running into them -mostly it's awkward with her. I'm looking around at houses, but unfortunately it's not a good seller's market right now so I may have to wait awhile and save up more. So it's good that the situation didn't remain so volitile.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »
Maybe you should give this article to the HOA, Neighbor and lawyer... granted I think it is unfair for the dog in the article but the womans lost her cat

HAMPTON FALLS - A golden retriever is charged with being a vicious animal after it ran into an adjacent yard on Merchant Way and allegedly killed a neighbor’s cat.
Two golden retrievers chased after the cat, which was in its own yard, said Police Chief Robbie Dirsa. No one saw the dogs kill the cat, but one golden retriever brought the dead cat home, he said.

This dog, a 12-year-old golden retriever is charged with being vicious. Because this is the dog’s first offense, the animal will not be put down, Dirsa said.

The town follows state law that establishes a "three-strikes" policy.

"It would have to do a couple more things; not necessarily kill." Dirsa said.

The owner, Lisa Lee, of 8 Merchant Road, is also charged with having a dog at large for the second golden retriever that was seen running after the cat.

The day after the March 31 incident, Lee was again charged with allowing the two golden retrievers to run loose. She was fined $100 on the vicious dog charge and given three summons of $25 each on the charges of having dogs at large.

Lee paid the total $175 fine on Monday, said Dirsa. She is not required to go to court.

The town follows state law in requiring dog owners to leash or restrain their pets, Dirsa said.

The cat owner is very upset, Dirsa said. She declined comment, but the cat was 4 years old and a rare breed called a Scottish Fold, Dirsa said.

Police went to the house about 3 p.m. on March 31. A Merchant Way neighbor saw the dogs chasing after something, but wasn’t sure what it was, Dirsa said.

Another neighbor saw the dog emerge from the yard with the cat in its mouth.

Cats are pretty much allowed to run free and are not required to be licensed, Dirsa said. This cat was in its own yard and the dogs trespassed, according to the police report.

Dirsa said pet owners should be warned that New Hampshire law allows homeowners to shoot to kill animals deemed a threat on their property.

According to an Associated Press report, a Seattle court last year awarded $45,000 in damages to a 71-year-old woman who sued her neighbor after his dog killed her cat. Paula Roemer’s 12-year-old cat, Yofi, was killed in her back yard in February 2004 by her neighbor’s chow. Roemer said her cat’s death left her with sleep disturbances, panic attacks, depression and caused her to begin smoking heavily. The court set damages at $30,000 for the pet’s special value and $15,000 for emotional distress.

"I think people need to keep their dogs tied up and on leashes," Dirsa said. "It really does affect the neighbors. They may have the best-natured dogs. This was a cat. It could have been a child or anything else in its path."

This is not the first incident of a dog becoming vicious in a pursuit of a cat, Dirsa said. In another incident, a pit bull ran into a house after a cat. The homeowner managed to stop the dog from killing the cat by beating the animal with a shovel

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/hampton/04112006/news/97183.htm
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 07:55:01 pm »
Thanks Babs, that's actually pretty close to where I live, but I'm over the Massachusetts border so the laws may be different here. What a sad story. In this case, I can't blame the dog. Goldens are large and could easily kill a cat by accident. Even in my case, I don't totally blame the dog, I blame it's idiot owner who gives it every opportunity to behave badly. Such a shame :-\
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 07:58:38 pm »
You are close to mass?  I am in ma LOL

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 07:59:41 pm »
You are close to mass?  I am in ma LOL

Yes! I'm in Lowell! Where are you?
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 08:04:48 pm »
South Shore LOL... Weymouth area

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2006, 08:06:38 pm »
South Shore LOL... Weymouth area
That's funny. I'm actually almost in NH I'm so far North!
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2006, 08:17:31 pm »
Hi,

Hey Babs you are down by Fumble we need to do another get together maybe down on the cape, before it gets too crazy down there. Says the other BPOer from Lowell
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 02:38:08 am »
He said the dog chokes himself on a leash which is why they don't use one. 

I think this says it all -- "oh poor dog, if I put a leash on him, he'll choke."   They probably don't make their children behave, either.  Why is it too hard for some people to find information about training a damn dog?  I haven't spent a dime on training and I've learned about 5 ways to train dogs.  (I haven't trained Einstein to walk outside without a leash and to sit quietly in the front yard, but I'm not a miracle worker! And he CAN behave pretty well on a leash.)

Sarah