Author Topic: need an answer fast  (Read 3738 times)

Offline ilovebabe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
need an answer fast
« on: May 03, 2006, 07:09:36 am »
is it bad for my dog to have tried to eat a toad??? i have a english mastiff who is really REALLY foaming at the mouth now since she had the toad in her mouth, should i be worried?
The more I learn about people
the more I love my dog.

Nicole

Re: need an answer fast
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:18:00 am »
oooh...some toads can be poisonous..I don't know where you live and what kind of toads are there, but I'd probably get her into a vet.

Offline ilovebabe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:21:18 am »
kansas and it's just a normal looking toad i see all the time but i am not sure if it is poisonous... on a scale of 1-10 how serious should i be in taking her to the vet ??
The more I learn about people
the more I love my dog.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:29:09 am »
is she throwing up?  acting weird?

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:30:00 am »
I would take her.  like 8. ???

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:34:41 am »
look on the net too and find out in your region if there are any poisonous toads there.  find out what it looks like and take that to the vet if you go?  get on the phone with them and get an opinion now though from the vet

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:40:04 am »
what's going on now? 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:39:02 am »
Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about it.  Most toads give off a bad taste when picked up/tasted, causing the dog or whatever to foam at the mouth to get the taste out of their mouth.

I think horned toads are poisonous, but I don't think you'll find many in Kansas.  As far as I know, there aren't any poisonous toads in the midwest, only snakes.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:33:54 am »
The East American toad is poisonus and is partway into kansas.  This is the warning about the toad 'These glands secrete a viscous white poison that gets smeared in the mouth of any would-be predator, inflaming the mouth and throat and causing nausea, irregular heart beat, and, in extreme cases, death. Toads pose a danger to pets, which may pounce on and bite them. Humans should take care to wash their hands after handling a toad, and to avoid touching the mouth or eyes until having done so.'
It can either get pets high.. or kill them, if it was this type of toad, if it was something else your dog is most likely all right.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:07 pm »
Just saw your posting.  How is Babe?  What happened?
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 08:15:03 pm »
I saw this post.. Bubba picked up a toad a few weeks back and he too was foaming at the mouth. None of the toads here are poisonous.. I rinsed his mouth out and gave him a drink and he was fine.

Any updates.. How is she doing now?

kristi

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 09:04:26 am »
Bumping this thread to get an update!
-k.

ps.
Years ago when I lived in Florida, I remember people saying that the toads were poisonous - I didn't have a dog at that time - I was just told that it was life or death for the dogs & to get them to a hospital ASAP.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 09:57:48 am »
That would be the same toad in FLA.  I know people that have to accompany their dog outside for every potty break just to make sure the toads stay away.
Apparently sprinkling baking soda around the perimeter of the lawn after kicking all the toads out keeps them out till the next rain (if you don't remove all the toads first you accidentally keep them in)  oops.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~