Author Topic: jumping on the counters???  (Read 11009 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: jumping on the counters???
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 05:10:09 pm »
I had the scat mats for awhile and they worked great until the little connector thingy broke.  Kaila countersurfs if she gets a chance.  She was able to pull a whole roast out of the pan at the back of the counter and not drop it anywhere until it hit the floor.  It was so hard to yell at her when I was amazed she didn't leave grease on the counter, cabinets, or side of pan and when I saw the look on her face it made me laugh.  Hard to discipline the fiend when you think you are about to pee your pants.  So now I just make her stay with me at all times.  Since she wants to be a velcro dog I not make her be one at all times.   ;D

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 06:26:18 pm »

don't worry, fumble ate a subway sandwich too! although it was during the bpo meet and greet we had here and well fumble had it all planneD!  we did have the food on a shorter table, but hey.. it worked out pretty well except for the poor 1/8 of the subway sandwich, RIP turkey sub! hehe! 

He shared with Kali AND Sadie.  They triple teamed us.  And Sadie ate the salsa.  The only one that didn't steal anything was Winslow cause he was exiled from the porch.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:59 pm »
Moose once pulled an entire pan of lasagna off the stove onto a white carpet ! ( I know , who has white carpeting in their kitchen ? LOL )
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 07:15:46 am »
<<That didn't include the Christmas Eve he got on the kitchen counter to get the Prime Rib that was cooling while we were in the living room finishing opening the presents.  THAT ws a special holiday!!>>
OMG…I would say…about as much happiness as went on in our house when the steak was stolen!  ;D My husband was SO mad!!  Our Norman Rockwell picture perfect sunny afternoon went down hill pretty fast!

<<did you happen to see what she did in the thread hubby started about Free Landseer??>>
Free Lanseer??   :D I didn’t catch that one…will have to go back and find. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36:58 am »
I bought the scat mats for Harley when he was a puppy and counter surfed everything!!  Well the problem is I have a lot of counters and he was smart enough to find the one without the mat.

I do have (I know I'm mean) a vibration collar made by innotek it has a remote and I can give Harley corrections ranging from 1 - 4.  I set him up a few times and corrected him (level 1) he hasn't countersurfed in a couple of years but his nose comes close sometimes.  I originally bought the collar because he was a poop eater which freaked us out since he wanted to come right in and kiss all of us (Yuck).  When he starts to slip back into bad behavior I just put on the vibration collar and he is much better - I don't even need the remote.  Sometimes even if the collar isn't on if he steals something (he has a glove, mitten and dirty sock fetish - Oh carwash mitts also) I just pick up the remote and pretend and he drops it. 

The stories in this thread are priceless

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 09:04:43 am »
Oh my!  What a bunch of hilarious stories!  I can only say that because I only have a little paw (Eider) counter surfer wannabe in the house now.  I'd never had a counter surfer until I got Scout and he was one of the worst I've ever heard of (until someone on here topped him with a story about something on top of the fridge)!  I tried the setting up tricks, loud noises, mouse traps, basically everything everyone has said except scat matts and e-collar items.  I never was able to break him of the habit.  Eider only gets stuff if I'm dumb enough to leave a chair out for him to put his feet on.  Figured I'd add to the entertainment with a pic of Scout though. 
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 09:58:33 am »
Fumble is a handful eh? :D I would just try being consistant with the corrections & praise him when he does listen...I never had any of my dogs do that though Sam & Rosie definitly would think about it but Pippin (who is Pyrfect b.t.w. ;D) has never even tried it...That dog just was born good! :)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 10:39:42 am »
My Honey used to be up on the work surfaces if I fed the cats and moved away from them, I have to feed them there not on the floor because of the dogs! After a few sharp "NO'S" she learnt not to do it... In front of me anyway!! Now I stand and wait until the cats have eaten, then remove their bowls, and Honey doesn't seem interested in jumping up then. There is nothing else for her to pinch as we keep everything in the cupboards ;)

I use a can of pebbles for various naughty behaviour, and it has worked for me and my lot every time ;D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 08:30:16 pm »
I'm just realizing how lucky I was with Barkley...he counter surfed once and once only.

And I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at the thought of Fumble turning on the kitchen sink!  Can you teach him how to wash his dishes after he eats? :)
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.