Author Topic: This new baby might be mine...what should I name her? Will she fit in with Zima?  (Read 7171 times)

Nicole

You can't allow Zima to growl at your daughter for any reason. That kind of behavior gets out of control really quickly. You HAVE to stop it. Definitely teach your daughter how to discipline Zima in the same way that you do. Have you had Zima to obedience classes?

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I just got Zima less than 3 weeks ago...her kast owners had her trained and she does very well but she hasnt been around children alot...my daughter is only two and gets scared of her ... how do I go about breaking that bad habit?
Nicole

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I don't have children, but I do have a cat, that I didn't want the dogs to harm. So in order to teach them to be gentil with her we taught them to to be "easy with the baby". And it worked, they knew what the word easy meant, as when we gave them treats we said easy, and they know to take the treat easy. and we referred to Joe as "baby". And that worked, not sure if it will work for a child though.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

You can't allow Zima to growl at your daughter for any reason. That kind of behavior gets out of control really quickly. You HAVE to stop it. Definitely teach your daughter how to discipline Zima in the same way that you do. Have you had Zima to obedience classes?
That is an absolute!...Samson tried to give my kids the what for for quite a long while...My kids are older though...6 & 8...I took both of my kids & samson through 2 puppy classes...The kids learned so much & applied it at home...One of the biggies was having my kids put Samson's food out for him...This establishes them as a "higher status dog" in Sam's mind...he has to sit before the bowl gets put down...& now that he knows the wait command he must wait to be released to eat...Also, any puppy wrestling isn't allowed here...It just sets the dog up to make himself a higher status dog because that's how puppies establish hiearchy in a litter...The bigger & stronger end up on top of the pecking order...I strongly recommend obidience classes though...They were a god send for Samson...I believe 100% that without sammy would have been a dog we couldn't have kept because of the issueswhen he came here...& I am so sorry....lol.. .congrats on your new pupper!...I am glad that she & Zima get along!...Sammy & Pippin are doing great to & that is such a relief...I know how you feel! :)