Author Topic: EVERY MEMBER MUST READ LA Times Article  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
EVERY MEMBER MUST READ LA Times Article
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:40:52 pm »
Well, I received an email regarding an article EVERYONE on this board should read and respond to.  >:(

From today's LA Times. It's fascinating to read a long newspaper
article about what many of us are involved in. So what do you think, do
"we" sound like nuts or heroes? Do you agree with the HSUS's concerns?

--------------------
Riding the Underdog Railroad
--------------------

Working in relays, volunteers haul rescued canines long distances to new homes. The trips aren't easy, and some say they're unnecessary.

By Janet Wilson
Times Staff Writer

August 24 2005

Paddy's no show dog. He's a mid-size, aging brown mutt; shaggy, with white eye rings that give him a worried look, and a smell that's hard to ignore.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-me-roaddogs24aug24,1,3765767.story

So how about BPO? Pupdaddy? My response is for the editor.

First we throw away animals....now society throws away children. (The article they should have written. Since we are helpless to protect other people's kids, but at least we can start with animals.)  Now kind hearts are an underground railroad....

Deena

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: EVERY MEMBER MUST READ LA Times Article
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:18:32 pm »
Let me just sum it up in a very few words:

I HATE the L.A. Times!!!!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:51:10 pm »
I read the article and am totally depressed now.  :(
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 05:43:52 pm »
Melissa - Basically that underground canine railroads which transport dogs from one area to another are useless.

What a bunch of bologna!  What really gets my goat is when people run around acting like they "know" what in goddess' name they are talking about when they know NOTHING!  Bless people who go to whatever lengths are necessary to save an animal!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:39:19 pm »
Hmmmm...I think what it boils down to is The LA Times sensationalizi ng one case where a little terrier went on a cross-country journey to a questionable home.  Sometimes the media has nothing better to do and a reporter decides there is a story in something and then it is generalized and applied to situations as a whole.  If someone wants to adopt a particular dog...more power to them!  If people are willing to drive stretches across country to unite the pet with a new owner that is their prerogative.  If it turns out to be a bad situation, then that is terrible, but any situation may turn potentially bad.  An owner with the best intentions may adopt a dog and it may run out in the street that very day and be killed by a car.  The rescuer may say they regret giving the dog to that person if they'd known that would happen, but really there is no sense in regret, because shite happens.  We all know that!  Sometimes a rescue organization does its best to place a dog in a loving home and the new owner has good intentions, but has a mental illness or something and does not realize that he/she is not well enough to care for ANOTHER animal.  It is a shame, but it is definitely always worth a try. 

Never mind the media.  They are full of it and they are getting exactly the attention they want when they write an article like this...getting us all worked up over one incident.  Better to weigh it against Buck's experience when he went to his new home and it was a positive experience.  Let's not forget the "GOOD" that happens, too.  Do not let the media make us think trying to do something good is bad.  Perhaps there are times when it may not seem logical, and statistically plausible, but we humans do what we can and what we feel is best...what is in our hearts and we feel compelled to do so....sometime s at extensive cost to ourselves.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 06:46:57 pm »
Remember, our own minds often trick us into only noting the bad points of something we read or hear.  While the Humane Society may state that there are many animals to be adopted from one's local shelter and the story about the terrier is a sad one...there is also the other aspect of the article where Buck the pitbull finds a good home and it seems his situation is successfull.  Another point to consider in this article is the fact that the woman who adopted the terrier and supposedly put him in a crate amidst more than a dozen others is unknown to us and, likely, unknown to the reporter, too.  So, we really do not know what happened to Paddy.  He may be running around in a yard with other dogs that are all well-fed, etc.  We only know what the media tells us and often this is slanted to get our attention.

So, really we DO NOT KNOW and must remember that articles are written to get us worked up about something so that we will read the paper and hopefully notice the advertisements amidst the pages of articles and end up buying something because we read a captivating article and fell for a marketing ploy to boot!
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:40:40 pm »
That was a depressing article.....

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:35:41 pm »
First off lets all try to remember that sensationalism SELLS!!...May I site Princess Diana & Elvis for starters?....& lets face it...more people would like to believe the negative rather than the truth...It so helps to feed into human natures need to feel self righteous...So me kind of ugly black smudge on the human psychie...So, so often, ugly sells & pretty is ignored...Is it any wonder that a business such as the L.A. Times would want to sell papers?....Sensationa lism is their business & business is good with a few twists & half truths...& even IF the end of this story were true, are we to fault the people who had their hearts in the right place?...I'll just chalk this up as another reason I don't normally read the newspapers or watch the news...I live in Chelle's world where little bad ever happens & it keeps me going & caring & saving!...I like it here. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:25:02 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

nickerbokker

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:37:24 pm »
i have been looking for a world like that!  can i join!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i must say...not having tv was hard...but not having the news got to be QUITE NICE lol

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 11:39:03 pm »
Princess Di slept with ELvis?!?!?!?!?   I LOVE ELVIS!!!! (we have the same birthday)...Trying to get the visual...not working just to warped!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:46:16 pm »
Princess Di slept with ELvis?!?!?!?!?   I LOVE ELVIS!!!! (we have the same birthday)...Trying to get the visual...not working just to warped!!!
Exactly!..lol!...No, I meant the drama in the media when they died...Yes Nicks, you most certainly can join!...It is lovely here! :D

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:47:51 pm »
oh well good I would hate to think Di was with my man - I was getting nervous

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:33 am »
Wow.

Well....I guess I'll have to agree with everyone that said that sensationalism sells, and that's disgusting.

Have you all ever met a "collector"? Its an actual disorder...rec ognized by the APA, I believe. People that believe that ANY animal is better off with them than being euthanized. Even if the animal isn't being properly cared for. I busted one, once. It was absolutely horrific, and reading that article brought back terrible memories.

Anyway, I guess just the same way that we don't know if the LA Times was WRONG about that, we also don't know if they were RIGHT.

I guess its just up to us as animal lovers to always keep our eyes and ears and noses open and do what's right. If its a long trip across country or telling some kook NO when they want YET ANOTHER FURRY BABY.

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 08:48:12 am »
The LA Times as usual is simply sensationalizi ng an issue. They are not only part of the problem, by not being part of the solution, they are contributing to the problem by inflaming the public in a negative way. Instead they could generate positive publicity and perhaps a way to avoid all of the homeless animals could be found, rendering the need for this type of transportation obsolete. Instead we will just slam the good people who are doing their best in a horrible situation, and rub everyones noses in the ugly side of one rescuer.

I thank God for the people who are willing to devote so much of their time and money, and their hearts open to be broken in rescue, fostering, and adopting of our disposible pets. They live in the underbelly that the Times and other journals just expose and walk away from.
Sorry...off my soapbox.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 08:49:38 am »
Yep, yep.