Author Topic: Dewclaws  (Read 1623 times)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Dewclaws
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:11:36 pm »
What are dewclaws? Is there a reason they have to be removed? Do all breeds have them?

Thanks

-Samson's owner
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Kiahpyr

Re: Dewclaws
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 06:17:16 pm »
Pyrs have dewclaws which is not to be removed. Not all breeds have them and I'm not sure who the other breeds are. Pyrs have them because they helped them get around in the mountains while guarding their flock. The have single dewclaws on the front and double dewclaws on the back legs. The breeds that do have them usually get them removed because they can get caught on stuff and tear. So far we haven't had any problems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 06:31:37 pm by Kiahpyr »

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Dewclaws
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 07:09:33 pm »
I heard from someone that labs aren't supposed to have dewclaws... is that true?
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc