Author Topic: Doggie shampoo  (Read 5776 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Doggie shampoo
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:54:35 am »
Anyone have any recommedations on a good doggie shampoo and conditioner. I want my dogs to smell like they do after they come out of the groomers. Is that they conditioner???

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

Re: Doggie shampoo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:56:08 am »
oh that's good stuff.   Sometimes they sell that stuff.  I think it's cologne that smells so good. 
I get my poo at this tractor supply place in town and it smells really good.  I'll have to look at the name on the bottle though.  It's cheaper than at the pet store too. 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:57:42 am »
Yeah sometimes they smell like vanilla, or sweet almond ect. and they are soooo soft!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 11:04:17 am »
I use crazy dog to give Spike a bath and wipes for in between baths and he has 2 diffrent types of body spray one smells like vanilla and peach and the other smells like rasberrys. The wipes are mostly for his front feet cause he pees on his feet all the time. He finally learned to lift his leg to bad its the front one he lifts instead of a back leg. LOL  He does not seem to mind being sprayed but my moms dog runs for cover when ever I try to spray him.
Rachael and Spike

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:14:11 am »
LOL you have to get a pic with him lifting his front leg insted of the back that is too funny and cute! Mine squats when he pees and he will only lift his legs on walks to make every tree we go by.

nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 11:17:52 am »
I wish he would pee when we walk most of the time he will wait till we get home but if he can't hold it he will and people always say "ohhhhh She is so pretty" at first I would correct them that he is most certainly a boy with all his boy parts but now I just let it go and say "oh yes she is my little princess!"
Rachael and Spike

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:49:06 am »
We used to bath zoey with a coconut shampoo 7 conditioner that we bought at the vets - she smelled SO pretty. When we ran out of that, we switched to tropical pet or something like that (I can check when I get home) and that smells nice too.
RIP former BPO

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:49:22 am »
I'm sure Jaime has posted before about how sensitive/allergic Bear is to ANY and ALL shampoos. Ugly hotspots are common with Bear and has obviously been a problem for him but for us too - we hate dirty dogs as well as knowing Bear is in pain. Anyway, on a whim a few weeks ago I tried using Head & Shoulders - Wow.. not one hot spot or even a little itch! He smells really really good and his coat is very soft light and shiny! I'll always have  a bottle of that around.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 12:16:55 pm »
That is really neat, I was wondering about using human shampoo on dogs but I wasn't sure if it would be ok.  I am a hairstylist (retired at 26 lol, long story) anyway I get all my professional shampoo at discount, so I think I may look into that. If it's ok for us to use on our head it should be ok for them right?? Please tell me if I am wrong, I don't want to harm my babies!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:44 pm »
I use this lavander shampoo...Will ow smells so good.

I was on a Dane website (The Dane lady - or something like that) and she had on there not to use human shampoo...but I am not sure why.

Alot of stuff I have read about hot spots and skin problems in dogs is directly related to their diet.
Timmie

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:23:01 pm »
On a whim I bought a bottle of Dr. Teals orange and ginger bath and body wash at Walmart 16 oz for $2.50. It said it was delicate for sensitive skin. It worked great on my smelly hounds. It lathered real well and washed off easily. Their fur is real smooth and shiny and they smell good. And there is enough for about 10 more washes left.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:34:44 pm »
Sooooo want the grooming smell lol..... yeah I guess that is a good smell, BUT when I was grooming, you get soooooo much of that smell so it doesnt even smell good anymore hehe.

Anyway here is a couple of tips for that smell.

with dogs that have no problems with allergies or hot spots or such things

Desert Sudz shampoo is real good and all the shampoos groomers use you dillute, they are real concentrated and when dilluted they are very watery and much easier to distribute over the dog, rather than gettin one big "glob" in one place.

Desert Sudz - Desert Fresh 6:1 is a super fresh shampoo and the smell lasts for a long time

with shorthaired dogs I didnt use conditioner but after being bathed, groomed and all, I finished off with Paw Brothers Pro Magic a coat conditioner that you spray on and leave in, makes it real shiny and slick, then as the final touch I used a cologne, I think the one most people liked was Paw Brothers Fresh Magic.

For dogs like Bear I most often used Paw Brothers Abra-Ca-Dab-Ra series,the hypo-allergenic series they  have a great shampoo and a real good conditioner and a super tangle remover

I also used several other shampoos and conditioners depending on the dog and what issues it might have. BUT especially the top rutine will make your dog smell like its come from the groomer for at least a couple of weeks.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 12:37:16 pm »
Oh, one more thing,  I stumbled across this website about apple cider vinegar
http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/apple-cider-vinegar.htm
anyway it is great for hotspots and also to make sure you get all the shampoo residue out which can cause dry skin..it is also good for a million other things including weight loss in humans...woooh ooooo - one my way out to get some right noww!!!! ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:44:40 pm »
Marit

where can I get the products that you mentioned??

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 12:52:26 pm »
Nina.... I had to go look which of the catalogs I use carries them. And it is Ryan's Pet Suplies, they have a printed catalog and also a website. www.RyansPet.c om

They usually have trial packs, where you can get the 12 oz bottles with shampoo and conditioners, like 5 of them + a couple of mixing bottles. And as a owner when you dont wash 15 dogs a day, that'll last you for a long time, since they are all (or most of them) the kind you dillute.

It is a wierd feeling at first to wash with a shampoo that watery, but after awhile you get the hang of it, and it is really using less shampoo and is way easier to rinse out, and you distribute it easier over the entire body.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog