Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Is it worth it?
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:58:04 pm »
Well, I just finished Niki's vet check that she needed to be a therapy dog and it went well except for a few details.  First we ended up with a rabies shot that really wasn't due because the tech didn't read the chart that she wasn't needing another booster for a year.  Shot was given before I caught it.  The heartworm test with a stool sample (which I had to climb under an orange tree in the grove to get) cost $45 and, of course, was negative.  Other shots $20.  I opted out for heartworm meds because we do not have a very big problem down in the valley here only in the hills and mountains, that would have been another $40 and I know I can get it cheaper on PetMeds.  Grand total for vet $92.00.   Then there was a trip to Sonora for test $30 gas only.  $20 for tests.  Now $35 for TDI registration.  Then $45 to buy a large sized cape that says Therapy Dog.  $5 for CGC certificate.  Maybe EBAY has some used capes. hmm will try that. Then to work in a hospital I need a TB test for me and an orientation session with the hospital. Then I will even need a background check, I think compliments of the hospital   Being a therapy dog - priceless (I suppose). I was really excited, now I am wondering who is getting rich on my volunteer work.  :-\ :-\ :-\  What do you think?
Peggy

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:19:19 pm »
I was really excited, now I am wondering who is getting rich on my volunteer work.  :-\ :-\ :-\  What do you think?

You get rich with the feeling of helping others, Nicki get lots of attention and extra love, and the patients at the hospital get a bright spot in a bleak day curteousy of a big ol furry friend. Everyone wins! Yeah, it's expensive, but those are all one time expenses and then you can have a lifetime of good deeds :)
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:31:32 pm »
I think it is totally worth it! I am so excited for you Peggy...and Niki too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:24:24 pm »
Of course it all worth it. I wanted Kendra to be a thearpy dog, but she a real bitch around other dogs. Maybe she'll grow out of that!
Good luck.

(P.S. Not all vets will give you a script to send to PetMeds)

Offline tigerpaw03

• Ankle Biter
  • Gin(White GsD) & Rum(RottWeiLeR)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:30:18 pm »
i think it's a real cool thing to do, be a therapy Dog...showerin g love to all those who need it most!

:)

Gin & Rum

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:45:04 pm »
Thanks, now you people make me feel better.  I was not bragging about our work, just feeling a little depressed about the money.  Thanks for making me not so uptight.  Even my husband said it was OK.

Peggy

Peggy