Author Topic: Ok Lola is officially a savage!  (Read 6624 times)

Lyn

Ok Lola is officially a savage!
« on: July 10, 2006, 07:22:41 pm »
I need ideas on how to stop Lola from biting Bubba so hard. She plays REALLY rough and is leaving punctures/scrapes on his face/jowls/legs from her pointy puppy teeth! It looks painful! Bubba will yelp and she keeps on clamping on him. :(

At first if she was too rough Bubba would pin her down. But he's just letting her get away with using him as a built in chew toy now for some reason. I feel bad for him, and I step in and either grab her by the scruff of the neck and tell her NO EASY, or grab her head so she has to make eye contact with me and growl NO at her. She looks at me like I'm sorry mom but as soon as I turn around Bubba is yelping again.

I just don't know what to do with her? Help!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ok Lola is officially a savage!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:25:49 pm »
Chester did that with Cowboy as well and I just continued to yell 'NO', clap my hands and stomp and make such a godawfulracket everytime he did that that it broke up the game.  Now Cowboy will occasionally do it to Chester and he gets the same act. ::)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:15:26 am »
I did the stomp/yell this morning and my neighbour came over to see what I was going on about. He's nosey ::)
But when I did that Bubba stopped, but she keeps on playing. It's like she's just getting overstimulated when they play. She's super submissive with people, but not with Bubba.

I've tried getting her wound up to see how hard she's actually biting but she won't play like that with me at all. I get down on my hands and knees and slide and tap my hands on the floor. She will bury her head in my neck and thump over on her back. Teaching her bite inhabibtion isn't going to be easy when she won't put her teeth on me. :-\

And here I was worried about Bubba being too rough with her. LOL

Edited to add a pic of the savage Lola monster. LOL
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:20:08 am by Lyn »

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:29:48 am »
Okay, this child is just toooo cute for words. 

I am so glad you posted this because I was about to.  I am having an identical situation with my new puppy and old Jasper.  Jasper is a passive coonhound and the vet said he will probably not put Wyatt in his place like I was hoping.  He told me to be happy that Jasper wasn't trying to kill the pup.  Wyatt keeps lunging for Jasper's, um, well, stuff under his tail.  They keep swaying back and forth right at Wyatt's eye level.  I'm sorry this is a little inappropriate, but can you imagine sharp puppy teeth there?  So, I will be watching for all the advice you get.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 07:54:07 am »
Lola grabs poor Bubba there too. He instantly sits down on her head or spins in circles trying to make her let go. She's also clamped down on his 'other' private area. :o

I'm tempted to completely stop letting them roughhouse altogether.. but I'm thinking that would just make it worse. :-\

It doesn't look like Bubba is going to step up and correct her either. He was correcting her at first.. but then he just stopped and now when she gets too rough he looks to me to correct her instead of taking matter in his own paws. lol

Anyone have any tips for me and jaspers mom?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:56:16 am by Lyn »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:00:16 am »
How old is Lola? I had the same problem with Kiah and Kitana. I never thought Kiah would correct Kitana. Kitana would even hump Kiah and she'd take it. When Kitana was around 4-5 months old Kiah started correcting her. I think Lola still has a puppy pass. I have a link somewhere that explains it better. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:09:07 am »
Oh that's right... I remember reading something about that. Puppies give off that I'm just a puppy go easy on me scent. If you can find it I would be interested in reading it.

Lola is 13 weeks old today..

In this pic you can see Bubba's owwies on his lips and nose. He has marks like that all over. The poor guy.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:13:21 am »
Melissa, that exactly what it is. I'm overprotective of Bubba and see him yelping and chewed up really bothers me. I love Lola don't get me wrong.. but she's evil. LOL

I had to laugh though when you said 'younger whippersnapper who needs a spanking' That's it exactly.  :D

DakotaMom

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:50:03 am »
My experience has been that when the puppies are young like yours are, they are allowed a puppy pass and are allowed to get away with murder and as they get older the older dog will correct them more and more. It will likely happen when you least expect it and it will scare the crap outta you. Something you might try is finding other safe dogs for them to be around. I know it can be very painful to watch the older dogs getting hurt but they learn manners so much faster when we can allow the older dog to reprimand the young uns. Unless of course the older dog is elderly then we must step in.

There is something about Nani that has Dakota keeping a tight leash on her. He will only allow her to play with him a couple of times a day. It looks very scary when her whole face is in his mouth and he is giving her the "I'm going to hurt you" growl.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:02:43 pm »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 03:17:44 pm »
I know somewhat how you feel, but my situation is switched around a bit! Zoey is older by 2 months and beats the crud out of Dolly! She steps on her, bites her, pulls on her skin, pulls her tail, barks at her, and just bugs her to death! And she does not stop. I usually don't interfere unless the growling starts to sound like fighting not just rough housing. But I guess I don't interfere because Dolly is like 30 pounds heavier than Zoey and taller and she can fight back if she wants to. But she doesn't because Zoey is alpha and older and so annoying! Should I be interfering with their rough housing? I mean, I'd be outside every hour if so!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:18 pm »
She absolutely adores water! Loves being sprayed with it, in it, whatever. Anymore ideas?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 04:12:23 pm »
I had the same kind of problem when we brought Pippin home...But Pippin was a 5 month old Pyr so it wasn't so playful & Sam would just stand for it. :( Pippin would literally make Sam stand with his face to the wall & if Sam even twitched an ear Pippin jump him...I tried to correct Pippin & finally, at the advise of both breeders, decided to let it go within my tolerance level...It was very painful for me to watch Sam getting bullied around but Sam's breeder also told me when Sam has had enough he will let Pippin know...Guess what?...I never thought the day would come but Sam finally had enough & let Pippin know in  no uncertain terms...We have tranquility at the zoo now! ;D

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:43:42 pm »
Thanks all. I guess I just have to wait until Lola's puppy pass runs out. LOL In the meantime if she gets too crazy I'll step in and seperate.

I just hope Bubba doesn't really hurt her when that time comes. :( She's only 3 weeks away from hitting 4 months old. So it's just a matter of time. :-\

I've never been through his before.. So let's hope I don't screw up and interfere.  :(

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:35 pm »
She absolutely adores water! Loves being sprayed with it, in it, whatever. Anymore ideas?

Hmm, I've heard of people putting the tiniest bit of vinegar in the water to make it "unappealing".

Julie

I'm going to try this. Sadie loves to get squirted. LOVES it!

Lyn, I hear you, I'm starting to really think all girl dogs are just evil. Sadie went through a phase where she absolutely would NOT leave my cats alone. They'd hiss at her and bat her and it didn't do a thing. She just wanted to play but they didn't know that. I got one of those noisemakers that they use to start races with and used it every time she went after the cats. It worked great. Except that it scared the crap out of the cats too, but after a while all I had to do was grab it and she'd stop.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge