Author Topic: Teenager times?  (Read 7796 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Teenager times?
« on: August 29, 2006, 05:45:58 am »
Jaz is offically 10 months old..112lbs, 32 inches. She is testing my every nerve i have in my body. To the point of keeping me away from 10 pm-4 am, whining, "singing", now she is grabbing everything she shouldn't grab, even if it is out of her way, she still can get it.  She refuses to eat 2 x a day, although i know that 4 cups of food is not enought to sustain her. She is skin and bones, with some muscle mixed in. She will only eat right before we have to go somewhere. I tried leaving the food for 15 and taking it away, and it doesn't matter to her. There have been no changes in our life, except the fact she is driving me insane. I will never put her in a shelter, nor give her up. I know this is just the age.... or is it?  I am willing to work what ever i have to do to work with her and make her a well behaved companion. I don't know what got her into this. Also, for 3 months now we play ball with her and a 100 ft. leash, she always comes back to me,although the other day she ran and ran and ran as far as she could from me. I don't get it . Is 10 months a teenager? Right in front of my before i could say anything she grabbed another remote and bite through it.....TESTING>>>TESTING....TES TING..... When will it end? SOoN?
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Teenager times?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 06:06:54 am »
I've heard of this.  Bella is 1 year now, and she is starting to "talk back" to me once again.  She also had stopped digging in the yard a few months ago, but here we go again.  I think (hope) this is only another phase where they are trying to test what they can really get away with.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 06:11:07 am »
It got to the point where i have had to move her crate from my room to the living room. She just would /will not be quite, she was never kenneled at night, and has done fine but she realized that if we are not awake then she can jump on the bed. So she ever so slowly gets on the bed..with out us waking, and cuddles up to you..so sweetly..then KICKS ME OUT OF BED!!!! So i put her in the crate ...and she is moaning and groaning, talking back to me like no tommorow. FRESHY!!
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:12:57 am »
ROFL  I'm sorry but that is too funny, kicking you out of bed!!  Yes, she is testing you.  Show her that you are more hard-headed and will always win.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:14:19 am »
lol she does though...she stretches out...and all four paws stretch out straight...and she pushes you off the bed..and before you know it you are on the floor!!!
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:35:21 am »
HAHAHA Laika was doing that, too, so we had to start kenneling her at night.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 06:38:57 am »
but now she whines in her crate, howls, kicks the crate, you take her collar to guide her in the crate and she will B line it to the left, or the right, she usually doesn't do that... but AAAHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:56:05 am »
I wish I could help ya, but Laika's doing everything in her power to challenge anything and everything I say too. I know how frustrated you must be, but the only thing I can offer are my condolences!  :P
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:03:05 am »
do you disipline them for this? How does one handle this? Just keep on going on in life? It is frustrateing because now she can't go off leash, everything has to be prestine in the cleaning department because she will eat anything!!!! I am sure, or i am hopeing that this will go away... but what about the food? Why is she suddenly rejecting food only once a day now?
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 07:08:33 am »
Don't discipline her while putting her in the crate, because then she will never want to go in.  And so she has to be leashed all the time now...maybe that too shall pass.  She may end up being one of those dogs that will always eat anything in sight, on the counters etc and that might be something she will never outgrow (my mom's 15yr old Weim is like that, a baby gate is up in front of the kitchen at all times and she will try and knock it down whenever possible).  As too the food, maybe she's just being picky, and this too shall pass!!  Or, how hot is it where you are?  Mine always lost his appetite on and off during the spring/summer.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 07:24:24 am »
Of all my dogs, my female dobe was the worse for me. None of my male dogs challanged me the way she has her whole life. To this day she has turned ignoring me into a fine art, and when she is corrected, she turns into a pile of mush until you walk away, then she is at it again. I can drop my 150 LB male dane with a glaring look, and she just twitches that stub of a tail and looks away. On the other hand she is entirely submissive to my husband, and he has been challanged by every male dog we have ever had. I wonder of it has more to do with same sex dominence, or if she is an 11 year old teenager.
Stella

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 09:25:09 am »
Have you tried keeping her on a short lead at all times and tethering her when she misbehaves?

When my uncle's saints went thru this phase, he kept their short lead on at all times, and found several places thru out the house where he could just tie the tether, and put them in time out and walk away. He would correct them, and then tether them and nobody was allowed to go near them until they settled. Then he'd go and take them back to the point where they challenged him, and make them submit.

Just a thought...
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 10:18:37 am »
This to shall pass,but patience has to be never ending.
Yes I would say she is well into her teenage times.

How long will this last,oh probobaly up and down for about 2 years.

Pick your fights,and don't let her think she has the means to get ya.

She can read you better than you think and ignoring on your part whenever it is possible can work wonders.

Sounds like she is very much into attention attention attention,even if it is not positive attention,(they don't care)

Try hard to find positive things to reward her for,ignore what you can,and put your foot down when you have to.

good luck and keep us posted
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 02:53:04 am »
Oh Lauren, if only there was a school for our miscreant dogs ;D ;D   I was just thinking you could try throwing some pupcorn in the cage when you go to put her in.  I do this for Boo and she walks right in.  And yes, she will find more creative and interesting ways to drive you nuts!!  Sounds like she's really starting to get the hang of being a naughty teenage dog.  I sent you an e-mail yesterday too with some more tips.  Hope some of it helps.   ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 02:56:08 am »
Samson went through a major butthead stage around that age...I strongly urge you to read this article before things get out of hand...Good luck!

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm