Author Topic: Poopy Night Crate Training Assistance  (Read 8851 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Poopy Night Crate Training Assistance
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:47:35 am »
Hi All,  Dyson was doing so great with Crate training and restroom breaks.  Unfortunately 5 days ago he got worms and it gave him Diarrhea and he had some blow outs in his Crate.  Now with the Worms gone after a vist to the Vet, he continues to Poo in his Crate at night without letting us know he has to go.  So, for the last 5 days we have been walking into a very fowl smelling down stairs.  Any Ideas on how we can retrain him not to poo in his crate?
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Re: Poopy Night Crate Training Assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:51:21 am »
Maybe he still smells poop residue and thinks it is a "pooping allowed" zone. Did you clean the crate; pan, sides, top, and the surrounding area with a enzymatic cleaner?
Can you describe his earlier potty training, and his feeding schedule? He still is a small puppy (Oh man! is he cute or what!) and at the age where maybe he just can't always make it through the night.

And pictures, we need more pictures of him!!! ;D

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:09 am »
Also, how is his playful puppy biting going?

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:24:58 am »
His earlier potty training involved taking him outside every 2 hours and giving praise/treats for restroom uses.  He use to let us know he needed something at night by whining, but he is quiet boy now.  He normally eats about 2 1/2 hours before bed time.  FYI: His playful biting is much better, he has learned "No Bite" pretty good and doesn't really attempt it no more with us or our baby girl.  I did wash the Crate 100% inside, but with Dishwashing liquid only.  Should I try the enzyme stuff?  I have heard Vinegar works great for removing the ok to go smell, shoud I try that or just got out and bye some of the stuff you mentioned.
St. Louis, MO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 10:41:11 am »
Trust me.  I know your pain.  Sanity was on Antibiotics when I first got him and I woke up to this every morning.

I would wash it out with bleach and it didn't do anything.  I however was a failure and after about a month of this just let him sleep in bed with me.  He slept through the night until he was about 6 months old then he started waking me up about every two hours to go to the bathroom.  He still does it occasionally.  I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but just wanted you to know that someone else understands how much fun it is to go down to see your new puppy and be greeted by a foul odor, and while everyone else is having their Eggos and Coffee you're scrubbing dog poop.  Then you smell like dog poop and you feel it in your pores and no matter how much you scrub yourself raw it won't come out, then you know you get to look forward to it the next day.  This is why I just gave up.  Hopefully you'll figure something out though.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 11:03:28 am »
Ooh yeah, you won't regret investing in some Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Those are the two enzyme cleaners that I use and they are great at getting rid of gnarly smells, and actually have a nice scent that I have become all too familiar with!
Unfortunately, once they think it's ok to poop in their den it can be hard to convince them not to! Maybe if you schedule a time in the night to go ahead and wake up to take him out for a potty break just in case, then you could prevent it. Cleaning up a big mess first thing in the morning is just about the worst way to start the day!!!
Good luck! It is rather ridiculous how cute your puppy is!!!! :D

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 12:33:13 pm »
Anky, you must of came to my house and stoled my Crate... ;D

I will probably try both the enzyme stuff and waking up in the middle of the
night to attempt to catch it before it happens.
St. Louis, MO

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 07:07:25 pm »
Trust me.  I know your pain.  Sanity was on Antibiotics when I first got him and I woke up to this every morning.

I love pictures, but that is going too far!!!
lol

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:05:40 pm »

I would wash it out with bleach and it didn't do anything.  I however was a failure and after about a month of this just let him sleep in bed with me.  He slept through the night until he was about 6 months old then he started waking me up about every two hours to go to the bathroom.  He still does it occasionally.  I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but just wanted you to know that someone else understands how much fun it is to go down to see your new puppy and be greeted by a foul odor, and while everyone else is having their Eggos and Coffee you're scrubbing dog poop.  Then you smell like dog poop and you feel it in your pores and no matter how much you scrub yourself raw it won't come out, then you know you get to look forward to it the next day.  This is why I just gave up.  Hopefully you'll figure something out though.

Ang
I would assume these pics were for Sanity's baby book...right :D?!...LOL!...I bet Dyson jsut thinks his crate is an easy place to potty now...You might have to back step on the house breaking...Goo d luck! :)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 07:41:45 am »
Well, looks like I will have to increase the intervals.  Went to bed at 11pm and checked on him at 3am, but the crime had already occurred.  I think he just thanks it's ok for the #2, for there is never a #1 in the mornings.
St. Louis, MO

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 08:04:31 am »
Wow. It was awesome to be eating my breakfast, mouth full, scrolling down through the posts and happen upon Sanity's crate. Thanks, Ang!  >:( Why on EARTH did you take those? hahahaha! So you can show Sanity's potential suitors and embarrass the crap outta him? hehehe!

Also, I agree with Laurel. You may want to change the feeding schedule. Makes alot of sense to me! And the Nature's Miracle is truly a miracle. Its a bit expensive, though. I found a product that works just as well, but is a powdered form, not a liquid and isn't as expensive. Its called "Odor Mute". I love it! We've got three kitties and a dog and 20 rental units and it is our best friend! I used it to clean my Bo's crate when he had a few accidents, and he never went in there again after that. Definitely run out and get some.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 02:52:39 pm »
In my defense I took those pics because I was complaining about cleaning up puppy poop.  Everyone told me to get over it, part of puppy ownership, and I tried to explain that this wasn't NORMAL puppy poop (And also to explain why I was habitually late for work and reeked of bleach).  Everyone stopped bugging me after the pics.  Muwahahaha.  Sorry about the loss of meals guys.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 03:06:31 pm »
In my defense I took those pics because I was complaining about cleaning up puppy poop.  Everyone told me to get over it, part of puppy ownership, and I tried to explain that this wasn't NORMAL puppy poop (And also to explain why I was habitually late for work and reeked of bleach).  Everyone stopped bugging me after the pics.  Muwahahaha.  Sorry about the loss of meals guys.

Ang
That's quite alright Ang. :) I am sure people just weren't quite expecting to see that...lol!...Me, I have a cast iron stomach....I had to laugh...not at your situation but at the pics themselves...I love being surprised!..lol!

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 07:02:38 am »
Well Jennifer and I are failures when it comes to crate training. 
After a couple more stinky mornings I decided to test out the
crate scent/odor issues and left Dyson outside with the Crate
door open.  Well, for a couple of evenings all was well, however
on the third day/evening he did the number 2 in his crate.  It's
pretty bad when he has free rome of the yard and still does
it in his crate.  We want to get him back inside during the evenings
and are looking for more ideas.  Should I bring him into our bedroom
so when the stink arises we will be able to remind him what he done
wrong? Or, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
St. Louis, MO

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 07:06:06 am »

You can try a couple of things.

1) move his evening feeding time up earlier in the day so he will have a chance to eliminate before bedtime.

2) Go outside with him and HANDSOMELY food reward all outdoor defecation.

3) If you are using a sky kennel plastic crate, get a wire one. Or vice versa.

4) Instead of using the crate, use a wide flat buckle collar, and tether him to your bed or your dresser near your bedside for sleep. This way he will likely FUSS if he needs to go, and you can take him outside.

How old is the puppy?
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.