Author Topic: The Dog Whisperer  (Read 14035 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
The Dog Whisperer
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:52:33 pm »
I got home early today because I was sick and got to watch Oprah which is a very rare occurance. Her guest today was the Dog Whisperer and I found him captivating. He mentioned that dogs who are very spoiled & pampered (ie. super rich people's dogs) are not well behaved or balanced because they don't do things that dogs do naturally. He said dogs need to be dealt with in this order everyday to maintain your leadership role as pack leader- exercise, discipline, then give affection. And when your dog seems overly happy to see you when you get home it is really just misplaced energy. Interesting huh? So, now I understand why Bear is sometimes uncooperative with me and how I need to be more consistent with the exercise & discipline beacuse I've got the affection thing down!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
Re: The Dog Whisperer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:34:50 pm »
yes that guy is good hes on the national geographic channel  ive done some of the things he talks about
rebecca
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

Offline Judy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:37:15 pm »
I have to disagree with this idea. I think dogs that are overly happy to see you are just dogs that miss you when you are gone, nothing more. The dog does always need to know who the leader of the pack is , but I do not beleive that has anything to do with misplaced energy. I have been doing Rottweiler rescue for 25 years and I think the happy dog that greets you is perfectly normal. The dog that does not behave is just either seeing IF he can get away with it, or needs alittle more basic obedience, or needs to know what the "leader" does not consider "acceptable behavior" A happy dog is a happy dog and should not be misinterpreted as anything else.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:44:32 pm »
That guy is good!...When you get home & your dogs are jumping up on you etc. & you allow it to happen they are actually putting themselves on a higher status than you...Once a pups "puppy pass" has expired in a wolf pack the alpha wolf will no longer allow this...You are supposed to totally ignore your dog for a full 5 minutes when you come into a room, get home, etc....If they jump up on you you should turn your back on them & continue to ignore them...Eventua lly they will sit quietly when you come home & wait for your cue that you are "receiveing them"...I learned that from the Dog Whisperer & it works!...It does take time though...I have the affection thing down pat too...lol...I have done the exercise & discipline since I got Sammy because I had been learning the D.W.'s techniques before I ever got a dog...Sammy thinks his training & exercise is a game because I make it fun...Because he  is a Pyr he still doesn't always listen though....lol!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:52:49 pm »
In a wolf pack or even with an adult dog & a puppy I am sure that you have all seen the pups climbing all over the adult dogs or racing ahead to get to the food & it is tolerated but also notice there is a time when this is no longer allowed by the alpha...A happy dog may be just happy to see you BUT once their 'puppy pass' has expired there is a time & a place for the jumping up & face licking...Anyt hing else sends mixed signals to a dogs natural instincts.

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 09:55:00 pm »
Yes, the Dog Whisperer is AMAZING. We watch him on the National Geographic channel too. We've gotten a LOT of great tips from him. That quick "shh!shh!" noise you might have noticed him making to get Oprah's dog's attention? It really works. If your fur kid is acting up and not responding, just making that noise will usually put their attention straight on you. Another thing we have learned a lot about is how the energy you give off determines everything (he talked about it on Oprah today). Like how he talks about being calm but in control. Body posture and tone being really  important, and always, always staying in control. It has helped us to figure out what WE are doing often to help create our dogs' behavior problems. He also says that a lot of dog's behavior problems come from not enough exercise or not being put to work properly, like with what they were bred for. There was one episode with a dog who nervously chased her tail constantly (can't remember breed exactly but was like a Collie, German Shep or some other shepherding dog). He said it was because she wasn't worked enough. So he upped her walking time everyday, and also said that while she was on walks and sometimes at home as well, she was to wear this special dog backpack and to carry two bottles of water in them. He said the water was really important so that the dog would feel as tho she was working. It completely worked like the first day! You could even tell the dog felt really proud about it too. He really is incredible. I think he has a real gift with dogs.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:59:54 pm »
That's amazing. I knew that it was my fault that Bear doesn't always follow directions and listens selectively alot but now everything is put into perspective and I feel much better. It is my responsibility to work my dog as he is made to be worked and when I think back, he has been happiest on long hikes carrying our water bottles and "saving" us in the water at the lake. I think that show was an eye opener and reaffirmed my position on my part in the this whole training thing.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 10:00:02 pm »
i remember that episode it was a german shepard  i know i spelled it wrong lol that guy is really amazing i missed it today i dont usally watch oprah
rebecca
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

Offline MolosserMart.com

• Ankle Biter
  • http://www.MolosserMart.com | Big Dog Supplies
    • View Profile
    • Big Dog Custom Collars & Supplies | Free Collars to Contest Winners!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:03:34 pm »
That man is AWESOME! And anyone that says otherwise is NUTS! I have heard a bit of controversy over this man in my dog community of bully and molosser breeds.

All I can say if pffuueewwiiee! He is awesome, any one that can get a dog to listen that quickly and with no real difficulties is truly a Dog Man. The fact that he has all those dogs living in the same place and feeds them one at a time should be enough proof!

Anyhow yes we love Mr. Caesar Milian in our home, and plan to meet him one day soon.

Elena Gb
Regards & God Bless,
Elena Gb
~~
If God Brings Me to it he will bring me through it!
Agree to disagree.
~~
http://www.MolosserMart.com
Big Dog Custom Collars | FREE Collars to Winners.
~~
http://www.BreederWebDesign.com
Custom Affordable Website Design for Ethical Breeder

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:21 pm »
I have to disagree with this idea. I think dogs that are overly happy to see you are just dogs that miss you when you are gone, nothing more. The dog does always need to know who the leader of the pack is , but I do not beleive that has anything to do with misplaced energy. I have been doing Rottweiler rescue for 25 years and I think the happy dog that greets you is perfectly normal. The dog that does not behave is just either seeing IF he can get away with it, or needs alittle more basic obedience, or needs to know what the "leader" does not consider "acceptable behavior" A happy dog is a happy dog and should not be misinterpreted as anything else.

I agree that its okay for your dogs to be happy to see you when you get home and to greet you, but it isn't good for them to be overtly excited. We had a problem with that, and it got so bad that they were scratching up some of the family members pretty bad. What we learned is that often an overly excited dog greeting you is really a frantic dog, in a panic that you left and now too excited that you are back. If you greet them in this state, it reassures the behavior and tells them that you are also upset that you were seperated from them! It only makes their seperation anxiety worse. Instead, you should walk past their excited display and assert yourself as calm and in control while also ignoring them. Then, the minute they settle down, greet them, calmly and quietly. This will let them know what is acceptable and what isn't. It also tells them that they had nothing to worry about. Trust me, it worked for us!

Offline Energypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 06:03:44 am »
I have to agree that Cesar is awesome.  My only concern with him is that sometimes health issues are not ruled out. (or at least we don't see that they are).

www.energypaws .com

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:42 am »
I love that guy.  He's so natural.  I try a lot of his tricks with our Rotts...especi ally with learning to walk and not bowl me over.  It's working better everyday. 
I like that he said we treat them too much like humans and if they could they'd call him and say HEY they're treating me like a person. 
I never thought that he could rule out the heath issues behind the dogs' problems.  Maybe that's our job. 
As far as misplaced energy...our pups have a ton when we get home.  I figure it's my job to control whatever kind of energy it is so I don't get knocked on my keester when I walk in the door.  :)
But he is very helpful to watch.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 10:06:30 am »
I think Cesar has a true gift!  Yeah there is a lot of bad talk about him in other boards expecially ones that focus on postive training. Most of the dogs he works with the owners have tried everything to get the dog under control and he is a last resort.  I like that he makes a point to show and talk about how he is not hurting the dog. He also always says that he is not training the dog he is fixing a behavior so it doesn't matter which side of your body the dog walks on, etc.   His points are very much common sense.  We've started taking Sophie on more walks and have already noticed a difference.  We expecially take her on a long walk before company comes over and then she behaves like an angel!   I also love when they show his pack and you can tell in each one of those dogs eyes that they really love him.  I Tivo the show everyday and can't get enough!  Its nice to finally find other people that love it as much as I do.   :D

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 03:35:33 pm »
I've just recently started watching the Dog Whisperer and LOVE it!  I can't believe how amazing that guy is with dogs.  Quack or not, he is good at what he does.  As far as i'm concerned everything he says makes sense.  I know I treat my dog too much like a human and smother him with way too much affection (even when he's bad).  I'm trying so hard to get the state of mind that I am in control of this dog and I am boss.  My biggest problem is walking him w/out the gentle leader.  I'm so scared he will pull, and I bet he can sense that. 
I think I will become a much better parent the more I watch that show.  I'll recommend it to any dog owners!
One of my favorite things he says is that people need to take responsibility for the choice they made to be a dog owner.  Who cares if it is late or too early, or your tired, etc.  you chose to have a dog... you are the one that should give it what it needs!  I also love that he encourages positive reinforcement as opposed to hitting.  I think anyone who advocates that idea should be praised.  It is scary how many people think that beating their dogs to submission is a good dog.  A scared dog is what you have, there is a difference! 
Anyway, enough rant.  I love it and will keep on watching!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 04:41:51 pm »
I just love the Dog Whisperer!  We have every episode on Tivo.  I'm ready for some new ones!  It was great to watch before we got Ranger, so I had some clue what I was doing!  Sometimes it is hard to follow everything he says...well, because Ranger is so DARN cute...but, I know I have to stick with it.  I feel so sorry for some of the dogs on that show, because as Cesar says, they aren't happy when they are overly excited, anxious, etc.  Trying my best to raise my boy and selective listening drives me batty, especially when I know he can hear me!  We have ordered a doggy backpack for Ranger.  I can't wait to try it out!