Author Topic: Chase's father needs training  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Chase's father needs training
« on: January 26, 2006, 10:26:21 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post so I thought I would try here first.  Chase is 17 weeks old now and the vet gave him his last round of shots now.  The vet told us to start putting eye-drops in his eyes once a day.  Well, he is a healthy 57 pound boy, so I am not quite sure how to go about this.  I tried having him sit and telling him what I was going to do and the eye-drop bottle didn't even get close before he freaked.  I can hold him down and apply the eye-drops physically, but I was hoping there was a more humane way of application.  I know this is medicine and it is necessary so I will do whatever needs to be done.  Please help.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:32:09 pm by Smaug »

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Chase's father needs training
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:34:54 pm »
I'm putting an antibiotic gel in Sophie's eye right now because of a dog park injury.  The best way I've found to go this is to catch her when she's sleeping or just about to fall asleep.  So while Chase is still lying down sit down next to him and hold his head again your thigh.  Then that gives you one hand to hold his head and eyes open and the other to hold the drops.  They're much easier to control when they're tired :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:35:14 pm »
 What are the drops for?

Try distracting him with an extra special treat like a bully stick or something. If that doesn't work you're probably going to have to hold him to do it... Zoey has always had trouble with drops (ear drops in her case) so whenever she sees me take out the bottle she runs around the house to get away from me for like 15 minutes until she is like 'fine, i give up, you win, get it over with already' and lets me do the drops
RIP former BPO

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:48:40 pm »
Thank you, waiting until he just lays around, which will take all of about 30 minutes at any given time sounds good.
He has the eye drops cause his eyes are red on the bottom sometimes and he gets this stuff after he wakes up on his nose from his eyes.  Kind of like the sandman use to come when I was growing up.  I got the same kind of stuff in my eyes when I was a kid and my mom told me it must have been the sand man.  One day she was taking me to school and she put in an 8 track tape in our Volvo and Played the America (at least I think that was the name of the group, I was like 4) tape (I have no idea which album) but any way there was a song on there about the sand man.  I asked her if that was what she was talking about.  From that point on she was more careful about analogies.  Oh, sorry, I am rambling.  Anyhow, thank you for the pointers, I will try the wait until exhausted thing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:50:31 pm by Smaug »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:42:29 pm »
What I do with Kali is I have her sit between my legs (while standing but she's big and I'm short so sitting may work better for you) and put my arm under her neck to hold her head still and up then give her the drops.  She still resists and it's easier if one person holds and the other gives the drops but I've done it by myself before.  We just give her visine when her eyes get red.  But they can't back away in that position so if the sneaking when he's sleeping doesn't work I'd try that.  She can be a pain and squeeze her eyes shut which is why it's easier with two people.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties