Author Topic: The Nigel aggression saga continues.  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: The Nigel aggression saga continues.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 10:18:55 pm »
What's the latest on the continuing saga?
Thanks for asking! :)
Since the "attack" last week Nigel has been completely separated from Zoot and Rushmore. Zoot is getting his stitches out tomorrow and is still on pain meds, so I don't want them to be together just yet. And Rushmore is just so small (20lbs) that as a precaution I don't want him around Nigel any time soon.
So no aggression to report (yay!) but probably because Nigel's favorite targets haven't been available. ::) I am happy to say that Nigel is still his sweet goofy self in the presence of all of the other dogs (you know... Mokey, Leeloo, Furley, Turkey and Samson!). Thank goodness.

I have been working with Nigel and obedience and he is doing AWESOME. He is so smart and eager to please. I want to get him into a class with others so that he can do well in a group and boost his confidence even more.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a licensed acupuncturist and he gave Nigel a diagnosis from the Chinese Medicine perspective. That was some great insight too. He has high hopes for Nigel's reformation and healing. :) 

I haven't started on the desensitizing for food aggression yet since Zoot is still on pain meds, and he will have to play an active role in those training sessions. But I am looking forward to what we will be able to do. A new friend of mine has a dog who used to have serious food aggression, and now his dog can eat in a room with 4 other dogs. So you better believe I am going to pick his brain about what he went through!!!

I am feeling really good about everything. Keeping Nigel separated from Zoot and Rushmore is a pain in the butt sometimes, but I am dealing with it, and so is Nigel. I know we can work through this. I think it will bring me and Nigel closer together. :)