Author Topic: Decribe your dogs personalities  (Read 4067 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Decribe your dogs personalities
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 11:46:37 am »
Phyfe is the most laid back sweetie ever. Nothing phases him. Of course part of that is because he is not the most attentive dog in the world. Sometimes he really seems to be daydreaming, or asleep on his feet. His most common expression is that of bewilderment "Wha happened?"
He's very willing, but a little slow. Not so much dumb, as that the signals from his brain take a long time to get to the rest of his big body. When you say "sit" you can see the command sink in- then slowly the gears mesh, and his butt lowers to the floor.  Same with any other command- he does it willingly and well, just don't be in a hurry.
He doesn't really play with other dogs, we suspect he grew up with horses and he doesn't really understand dog games.  At the dog park he joins in the initial wild chase, then he'd rather hang out with the people. He doesn't fetch, or do tricks.  He's an incredibly loving dog, and my "leaner" He loves to come and lean against my knees and smile, like he's thanking me for his new life.  Balancing all this sweetness is a fierce protective instinct.  He ignores visitors when we are home, but woe to anyone who tried to enter when we weren't.  He also doesn't like strangers touching our car or our stuff.  I can leave my purse on a picnic table in the park and walk away, if anyone went near it they'd get Phyfe's big growly GET AWAY FROM THAT bark!
Earnest- well, Earnest
He's not a dog, he's a five year old human in a dog suit. Amazingly smart, Earnest understands everything that goes on around him.  He knows lots of people language, and when he sees something new he will look at me with his brow wrinkled until I tell him the word for it. "Llama, Earnest, that's a llama." then he'll kind of dip his head to acknowledge the word and walk on. He talks, too. He has a huge range of noises and groans that all mean something very specific. He's taught me as much of his language as I have taught him of mine.
Show him once and he's got the basics of any trick.  Repeat it ten times or so and he's got it for life, even if you don't ask for that trick for months.
Earnest loves big machines, like track hoes and the street sweeper. One night at an odd time he insisted he needed to go potty, so I took him out on the lead in the front yard. Instead of sniffing he kept looking off down the street. Turned out the street cleaning machine was coming, and he lied to me about going potty so he could see it better!
He very much acts like a kid, too.  He'll crowd the skinkid off the couch if he thinks he can get away with it, and act extra sweet and beg with those soulful eyes to get to go to work with mommy. 
Romie the manx is HIS cat, we can't go to sleep until Romie comes to bed, too. He ignores the other two cats, but looks for Romie every time we come home from somewhere. He'll back off from his dish so Romie can eat, but the other cats get chased away. I think he thinks she's some kind of weird dog- that makes sense because she seems to think so, too.
He's the Alpha dog most everywhere, but it's all posture and show. Most dogs just acknowledge his superiority and he doesn't need to prove anything, but if a dog objects to having it's feet or neck mouthed, Earnest won't fight, he'll just walk away. Rather than push the issue he somehow has the ablity to isolate the dog that is dumb enough not to recognize his leadership.  He just walks away-- but he takes all the other dogs with him. 
He loves everyone, and if a burglar came he'd just show him where the cookies are. 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 01:14:37 pm »
I think I am in love with Earnest.   :)
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

dohertyswissy

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 01:18:39 pm »
Ranger is my first big-pawed dog and I'll never be without one in my life ever again!  He is a big ol' goofy boy who loves his attention and to be with the pack.  Around the house, he forgets how big he is and loves to be invited to jump up for some rubbing.  Ranger loves to paw at you relentlessly for a belly rub, because..well, that's obviously what we all live for...to give him belly rubs.   :D  He is very obedient for the most part, but definitely has a stubborn streak when he gets his mind set to it.  Ranger is a sweet, gentle, and loving soul who does recognize his size in comparison to childern, and will lay down at their feet, so that they feel more comfortable with him.  He is not fazed by the neighborhood kids who love to pet him, tug on his ears, and hug him around the neck.  He is wary of strangers until it becomes crystal clear to him that Mom and Dad are okay with them, so I'm okay with them.  He is a diligent watch dog and barks to alert us of any "strange" behavior occurring from his view from the front window.  "Strange" may be the UPS truck, Pearl - the neighbor's cat who suns in our front lawn, or to let us know that Mitch, our across-the-street neighbor who Ranger adores, has finally made it home from work.  He knows his place in the pack, however, he sees my husband as higher than me, b/c he knows that J can take care of himself, but he worries about me.  He wants everyone to be in the same room, so he can keep an eye on everyone, just in case.  However, he is fiercely protective of me and has to be with me at all times.  He walks better with me on the leash alone than with my husband, b/c, well, I think he knows how small I am and he doesn't want anything bad to happen to me on his watch.  I never worry about my personal safety anymore.  Ranger knows my every mood and responds accordingly.  He wants nothing more than to make us happy.  He jumps around like a maniac when he hears "Wanna go for a walk?" or "Do you wanna go for a ride?" 

He's my best friend and my heart.  I'm pretty sure I'm his too.   

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 02:02:22 pm »
I think my Avatar says it all about Drake's personality.  He is so chill and so friendly. My friend sarcastically jokes about his mellowness when we're watching football or something, "Dude, you really need to control your dog!"  Although, when I break out the Soccer ball, Drake fills with energy and hops around like a little puppy.  But he quickly resorts to his Avatar state.  Too easy!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 08:02:35 pm »
I LOVE reading all these dog stories!  How important each one of them is to us!  Amazing!

Cowboy is MY boy.  Nobody elses.  He lives to be right next to me all the time.  He's right here next to me as I write.  I think he is so grateful to be away from that old life and to be in a place where he is loved and safe that he just doesn't ever want to take a chance of losing sight of me in case he gets shipped back.  We went to the neurologist today (his...of course) and he's doing so much better on his meds that we get to reduce them again.  The doc  wanted to take him in to the back to get his blood drawn, and there is just no way that anybody is going to take him from me.  He just sat down.  I explained that he's not comfortable away from me and the doc tried to explain that there could be scary things going on "in back".   I don't care....we've been there a million times already and I just don't look around too much.  He just sat quietly while they did the draw from his neck (all his  leg veins are too scarred) and all the vet techs came around to admire him but he never takes his eyes from me. 

On the other hand, there's Chester.   He's in the middle of his 8 month old obnoxious stage.  If he could say "NO", he would.  He wants to play all the time...and with anybody who's ready to play!  He is truly the family dog.  Loves us all equally.  My husband took him to the office yesterday and he wasn't content to sit quietly in the office...oh no.  He wanted the whole building to love.  He visited each person, in each office and had a grand day!  They went out to lunch together:  hubby had a salad, Chester a hamburger :D!  He's Cowboy's alter-ego!  but he adores Cowboy.  They sleep next to each other, when they get bones, they lay side by side gnawing.  Because of his unusual color, he attracts lots of attention:  mainly from women who want their hair dyed the same color:  that warm chestnut brown.  Guys think he's a REAL dog.  He's got personality oozing from every pore!!

I am SOOO lucky to have them in my life!  They are both SUCH joys in their own ways.