Author Topic: Have you heard of this (non dog related...>)  (Read 2807 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Have you heard of this (non dog related...>)
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:28:30 pm »
the Shangrala diet?  My friend's husband swears by it:  two heaping tablespoons of olive oil twice a day between meals and it's supposed to cut your appetite drastically.  My friend tried it, threw up and that was the end of that for her. :P

I just wonder if anybody here has tried it and if it worked?

Icerotti

Re: Have you heard of this (non dog related...>)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 06:39:17 pm »
That is the first I have ever heard of it. I must say though I would prob have the same reaction as your friend....lol Interesting though ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:50:15 pm »
That's my reaction too....but her hubby hasn't tossed cookies and has lost 7 pounds and has been on this diet for just a couple of days.  He's got a long way to go, but it's a start!

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:04:05 pm »
Not heard of it but it makes some bizarre sense.  Olive oil has stuff in it that is really good for your nerves, heart, liver and spleen.  It also carries some sort of acid that soothes the hunger center in your brain.  I still don't think I"m up for that diet though.  I couldn't handle "Jogging in a Jug"...Grape juice and apple cider vineger.  Eeewwww

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:12:18 pm »
Olive oil is medium high in omega 6, and fairly low in omega 3.  Omega 6 is the more problematic problem causing omega.  Omega 3 is the helpful fatty oil.  If he is eating 2 spoonfuls a day, I'd suggest he find something high in omega 3 to eat to balance it out.  While not a noticable problem now over time it may do some internal damage you can't readily see. 
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:21:44 pm »
Olive oil is a healthy fat and it's great to use in your cooking (I use it all the time instead of butter, cause I cook mostly italian food), but I can't imagine chugging it  :o
RIP former BPO

SA_horses

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:34:22 pm »
two heaping tablespoons of olive oil

Sorry to be dense, but how does one get "heaping tablespoons" when talking about a liquid-at-room-temperature oil?  ???  :o

Sofia

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 07:41:50 pm »
two heaping tablespoons of olive oil

Sorry to be dense, but how does one get "heaping tablespoons" when talking about a liquid-at-room-temperature oil?  ???  :o

Sofia

Bwahahahahaha!!  Good point!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 08:08:59 pm »
HAHAHAHA!!!  so true!  When my friend described it to me, she said that it was her dh had a 'glug' of olive oil. I asked what a glug was and she said two huge tablespoons!!!  It was my interpretation of huge tablespoons!!! ::)

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 08:36:09 pm »
HAHAHAHA!!!  so true!  When my friend described it to me, she said that it was her dh had a 'glug' of olive oil. I asked what a glug was and she said two huge tablespoons!!!  It was my interpretation of huge tablespoons!!! ::)

Ahhh, okay.  We can call it 2.5 then.  ;)

I must say, however...huge tablespoons...;D  I hope your friend hasn't written any recipes.  :D

Sofia

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 09:56:39 pm »
I love her dearly....but a cook she ain't!!!  Maybe that's the reason! ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 11:45:43 pm »
Interesting :-\ ...My dear departed grandpa always said that losing weight was a simple matter of addition & subtraction... He also always said..."sleep & church...nothi ng bad can come of it"....Grandpa was a very wise man. ;D

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 05:39:33 am »
I think almost any diet works, as long as you stick to it.  Ah, there's the rub!  It works for a couple of weeks, and then you get bored with it, and then you're right back where you started.

I have been on Atkins for 4 years.  It's an atrocious diet (unless you are a dog!), but it fits what I like.  It was very hard to give up the potatoes, cereal, corn, pasta, bread, etc., etc., but it allowed my to eat all the meat I wanted (big meat eater), and when I followed it correctly, all my blood work, which was already pretty good, actually improved.

Weight Watchers is probably the best; also South Beach, but they are all about portion control, my arch nemesis.  No portion control on Atkins, I can eat half a pound of bacon and not even blink.

The absolute best thing about it is, once I am on it faithfully for awhile, I can gradually add some carbs.  I save up all my carbs for daily dark chocolate, and can do so without gaining weight!