Author Topic: Wedding Quandry...Need BPO opinions  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Wedding Quandry...Need BPO opinions
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:39:51 am »
Ok, BPO family, I need input/opinions.  With the wedding season upon us, I have a question.  Here is the background…

When I got married three years ago (6/14/03-my 1st, DH 2nd marriage) one of my SIL’s didn’t come to the wedding.  Granted it was 700 miles away but I had asked her to be part of the service.  Well, she didn’t think her car would make that kind of drive.  Her daughter, my other SIL and her kids, were going with my (future) in-laws and I mentioned her going with them.  Then it was, “OH! There is no way I could go that far with mom and dad!”  Translated, “I can’t ride with them, they wont’ let me smoke in their van!” THEN, she told me she would think about it if the guy she was seeing would go with her and they would just rent a car.  Whatever.  A year later she made a 3000 mile trip in said car.  Not only that, but she makes about as much money as my DH and I put together, so I don't see why renting a car and following her parents would have been out of the question.  She is nice enough, but totally selfish, it is always about her.  That isn’t just me talking, that is what the family would say/has said.  “That is just how she is!”   We didn’t even get a card from her for our wedding.  My other SIL just got married this past March and I don’t remember what she got for them, but she DID get them something as well as was in the wedding.  Of course, she was the Matron of Honor! 

Here is my quandary…she is getting remarried (#3 but the first one since I have been around).  DH and I are both in the service.  It is in the town we live in.  DH says,” #$%^&*#$%^(that is swearing), we are getting her the same thing she got us for a wedding present and if she asks, that is what I am telling her!”  So obviously what happened with our wedding hurt his feelings.  What is a girl to do????  Any thoughts?   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Quandry...Need BPO opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:56 am »
Here's the thing:  I think it's always better to take the high road....esp. with family.  Maybe, just maybe, it would tweak her conscience (if she has one  ::)) or maybe you and dh could at least feel superior to this poor, self-centered twit.  I don't think it needs to be expensive, just thoughtful.  AND give it to them in front of the family!  That way, any nastiness she is holding against you for whatever reason will make her look like what she is...a twit! ;)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:58:49 am »
Here's the thing:  I think it's always better to take the high road....esp. with family.  Maybe, just maybe, it would tweak her conscience (if she has one  ::)) or maybe you and dh could at least feel superior to this poor, self-centered twit.  I don't think it needs to be expensive, just thoughtful.  AND give it to them in front of the family!  That way, any nastiness she is holding against you for whatever reason will make her look like what she is...a twit! ;)
Oh no, there is no nastiness.  It is almost like because it wasn't about her it was irrelevant.  She isn't hateful or nasty...just, I don't know!  Why the h3ll wouldn't you at least get your brother a CARD?  No, there has never been a falling out or anything.  No "reason"...and the family wouldn't think a thing of us GETTING them something, but would notice us NOT getting them something.  I am sure they have forgotten that she didn't get us anything.  DH even wanted to make plans for the weekend of the wedding so we were out of town!!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:59 am »
It is almost like because it wasn't about her it was irrelevant.

Then she really is a poor twit!!

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 11:36:45 am »
I would get them a small gift and a lovely card.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive.  A trip to the dollar store should suffice. ;D  JK  Seriously though, I think the high road is the way to go here.
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 11:40:17 am »
I agree.  The high road is best.  Don't want to turn into the Hatfield's and McCoy's.

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 11:51:12 am »
2 wrongs don't make a right.  Get them something small but personal...lik e a candy dish.  Something totally useless.  Then smile big and say "You're welcome".  Eventually she'll realize she's a total bwitch and then you can have your real revenge.

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:58:13 am »
I personally would not buy a 3rd wedding present for anybody.  You get presents from me for the first 2.  The thing is, most of my adult life I didn't have much money.  I would see siblings getting married and divorced over and over, having kids they later didn't give a rip about, and I would be obligated to get them wedding/bridal shower/baby shower/ kids birthday presents without question.  David's sister is a wonderful person but they have 4 kids now and birthdays are spendy.  SHE suggested that we combine gifts and give the kids joint presents so that it wouldn't be too expensive (this was pure thoughtfulness on her part, we have money we can spend now). 
For me there are two separate issues.  1st, you have no reason to believe that a selfish person will be able to hold YET ANOTHER marriage together.  Statistically the odds of this marriage working out are NIL, add 3rd marriage to selfish and she will be divorced in under 3 years. 

Personally, based on that, I would politely say that we wouldn't be able to be in the wedding (for personal reasons) but that we 'love' her and will of course attend.  I don't think you are obligated to be in a wedding that you don't believe in.  Most people (like her it sounds like) think of the big party and all the attention, and they don't really think about the sacrifice and selfless love that is required LONG after the excitement fades away.

The second issue is that she is your hubby's family, and whether he likes it or not, if he starts a war with his childish sister, it will be WAR.  Who cares who started it.  Self centered, drama loving women are the devil when they feel judged or wronged.  It could potentially cause all kinds of chaos if you don't get her anything...the same way it told you that you didn't matter to her when she didn't get anything, it will tell her the same thing if you don't get anything and you will end up 'right fighting' yourselves into a huge family split. 
(please ignore the parts that don't apply to you, I am making huge assumptions based on your post and based on the fact that I know some people who seem to be like your SIL).
I would get her a very modest gift (under $15.00) and a very nice card.  (ONE present...no bridal thing/pre-wedding thing...no after wedding reception crap either). 

You don't have to like her, he**, if you like, we can have a 'wedding pool' and bet on how long this child will stay married.  (I want to put my money right now on under 3 years).
 ;D ;D ;D     
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:42:36 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:53:20 pm »
That's a drag that there's hurt there.  Sounds like the brother and sister need to heal that rift.  In terms of the gift, how about a high road compromise?  Make a donation to a charity that she enjoys or that you enjoy in their name, and put the receipt in a wedding card?  My husband and I got married in 2004, 2nd time for both of us and we're in our 40's.  There were no material things needed - we were pretty well set up.  We asked for best wishes only, but really enjoyed the folks that chose to do the donation thing in our name.  Just a thought.  Good luck - hard to be in the middle of that :(
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:56:50 pm »
That's a drag that there's hurt there.  Sounds like the brother and sister need to heal that rift.  In terms of the gift, how about a high road compromise?  Make a donation to a charity that she enjoys or that you enjoy in their name, and put the receipt in a wedding card?  My husband and I got married in 2004, 2nd time for both of us and we're in our 40's.  There were no material things needed - we were pretty well set up.  We asked for best wishes only, but really enjoyed the folks that chose to do the donation thing in our name.  Just a thought.  Good luck - hard to be in the middle of that :(
OMG that is GENIUS.  You could donate to spay and neuter or something, and put that in the card!!!!!
Barkleys mom, GREAT idea!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:50 pm »
Ummmm, the whole *original* point to wedding gifts were to help the new "family" establish their home. This is her 3rd, right? One would assume that she already had an established home, correct? Then a gift, monetary or otherwise, is NOT required. A card should more than suffice. Your best wishes in her/their future lives/endeavors is all that's necessary at this point.

Now that's not to say that you can't/shouldn't give a gift, you certainly can if that floats your boat, but the point I'm getting at is that it's certainly not required that you give any gift at all.

**edited because I cannot spell this morning**
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:07:13 pm by Leah-n-boy-os »
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 01:11:48 pm »
OMG that is GENIUS.  You could donate to spay and neuter or something, and put that in the card!!!!!

LOL!!  There HAS to be a hidden meaning to THAT!!  LOL!!

OK.....maybe not so hidden!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:13:03 pm by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 01:19:41 pm »
Barkleys mom, GREAT idea!

I LOVE IT!!! Twits shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and make baby-twits!!!  Maybe a gift certificate to a family planning clinic??!!!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 01:32:08 pm »
Been here, done this... ::) Ad nauseum.  ::)  ::)

I think your SIL must be a clone of my cousin Janet. She will be on her SIXTH marriage later this summer.  I have declined to attend, because I won't continue enabling her on-going drama.  I have better things to do with my time--like grout my tub.  (Yes, I'm a mean, vindictive witch.)

Here's my 2 cents.

If your hubby is willing to be in the wedding, then do it.  It's his sister, so it's his call. 

Since your husband is also anti-gift, I'd let him make that call as well. He has decades of experience dealing with her selfishness that have led him to making a this decision about the gift.  Here's how the scenario will play probably out. 

She will notice that she didn't get a gift from you two.  She will make a scene at a family gathering (maybe even the wedding reception itself!) at which her brother will respond with wide eyes and great surprise, "Sweet sister of mine, I didn't think you expected one, since you didn't give US one."  An argument may or may not ensue, depending on just how sincerely surprised your DH manages to be.  Perhaps on your next anniversary, a gift will arrive from her--so that she can expect a gift on HER anniversary. 

Think of it as social NILIF for the selfish. (Keep in mind that I'm vindictive and horrible.)

I have been thru the "I didn't get anything from you" scene with Janet at least a dozen times at various family functions.  People like this can't be "golden ruled" and treated as you would like to be treated yourself.  They have to be "market valued" and treated exactly as they have treated you.  Otherwise, the problem with their behavior never occurs to them, and they continue to walk all over everyone.

The last time I saw Janet, we hadn't spoken in well over a year.  She gave me this puzzled face and asked, "Why don't we talk anymore?"  I said, "Because you didn't return my last 3 phone calls. I thought you decided we weren't talking!" excused myself, and walked away from her.  We've talked about every other month since then. But I no longer call.  I'll call her back, if she leaves a message, but it's on her now to make the effort.  She's on my list of people to forward email jokes to, and that's as contact agressive as I'll be for now. Maybe next year I'll call her for her birthday.

Some people, and it sounds like your SIL may unfortunately be one of them, just have absolutely NO capacity for empathy. It's not that they're necessarily bad people--Janet's not bad, she's just narcissistic. And narcissists simply don't have the capacity to understand any feelings other than their own.  But you can sometimes get one to understand YOUR point of view by making it THEIR point of view. And that can at least make it possible to communicate.  Your DH's intention not to give her a gift may be his only way of making her understand how badly she made him feel when you two got married and she didn't give him anything.

But if you don't see her often enough for it to matter if she walks all over you, then buy her a $2 Hallmark card and put in a $10 gift card to Linen's and Things.  ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 01:53:42 pm »
Okay, NoDog, you may be vindictive, but I'm the person who gave the IDENTICAL gift each time my husband's cousin got married...5 times before she was 30...she's now 50+ and hasn't been married for 20 years.  I have often wondered if she thought about why she has 5 matching decanters..... ;D ;D ;D ;D