Author Topic: Am Tired of The Comments...  (Read 13633 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Am Tired of The Comments...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 04:02:15 pm »
The letter made me laugh too   :D
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 04:21:24 pm »
Very funny! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 04:33:37 pm »
I have 5 big dogs. My family thinks I'm nuts which is fine with me. I never have to cook Dinner for any of the holidays, they don't even ask me. It usually rotates between my mother, sister and brother. ;D
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 07:00:49 am »
I have a horse and trying to get a saddle to fit him has been h*ll. So for those comments about getting a saddle for the dog, try something like "I couldn't get one to fit."

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 07:46:27 am »
Pretty much everyone I know has realized that I am a bit obsessive when it comes to my fur-kids ;) , especially after I posted the note to visitors, framed next to my front door. In large type. Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Stella

Offline Daffodil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 10:08:49 am »
By the way, if you don't mind, I am going to steal the filthy rich comment...lol. ..Another good one would be,  "It doesn't cost much to feed him...Actually he is saving us money!...We are down to 2 children from the 5 we had when we got him"!...lol!

Now I LIKE that one!!!  Since we don't have kids, I think I'll follow that line of thought the next time someone comments that my bouv doesn't seem to like children.  "Actually, she likes them a great deal, and you don't even have to season them any particular way, she's not a picky eater."

People are rude when they find out we don't have kids.  I tell them we have dogs instead because they're easier.  Once you train a dog, it stays trained.

Daffodil

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 10:39:47 am »
When Sanity, my Dane, was about 5 months old, I took him to Petsmart.  He was being SUCH a good boy what with all these people ogling him, little kids squealing and running towards him.  I was looking at collars (As we go through them pretty fast) and I hear this scrabbling noise.  I look up to see this big guy getting dragged down the aisle by his pitty, who's on a Flexi. (Personal Not I HATE Flexis)  Now I'm only 5 feet tall, and even at 5 months, Sanity was a pretty big boy, but he was good and I always had control of him.  He was just sitting there when this pit starts to hump him.  I push the dog off of Sanity and glare at this enormous man, who was just staring at my dog.  "What the H*** is that?" he asked me.  I said "He's a Great Dane puppy."  The guy asked how big he was going to get and I told him that his father was 36" and around 160 pounds.  The guy answered "What kind of idiot would want a dog that big?"  I looked him straight in the belly button and said "I could ask what kind of idiot wants a dog they can't control but I already know the answer to that one"

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 12:38:22 pm »
Absolutely true!!  ALL of those things!  My favorite is the bit about kids:  when people ask me why I have two such giant dogs, I tell them that I like them better than teenagers.  Most people get that!!

The question I hate the very, very most is:  How much do those dogs cost.  The answer I usually give is that they are cheaper per pound than most dogs.  Sounds rude, I know, but I don't want to discuss money with people I don't know.   To me, they are worth every penny!!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 01:07:01 pm »
When someone asks : Aren't they expensive?--I roll my eyes and say You don't want to know.
My answer to the more pushy ones that ask how much they cost I just laugh and say if you gotta ask, you can't afford it.
Both are considered a joke, and get me out of a situation that I don't want to deal with, without getting anyone's back up.
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:20:38 pm »
I tell them how much a well bred puppy costs, and if they balk at that I tell them they'll probably spend at LEAST twice that on them a year.  And that's if they're healthy!  I'll admit to when people ask me about any of my dogs I dwell on the negatives, mainly because I work in rescue, specializing in Breed Placement, and not alot of people are suited to the dogs I have. 

Sanity is overwhelmingly sensitive, always underfoot, talks (Alot of people think he's whining but I know the difference :) ), the medical problems they're prone to, the special care and research they need, the puppy span that lasts half their life, not to mention how when you have a big dog everything is more expenesive.  With Araby she's too smart and high strung for her own good, VERY stubborn, I wouldn't suggest her breed for a novice dog owner.  Hobo isn't really alot of work, but we got lucky with him as Chinooks CAN be very hard to train, and he's a runt so he's not as big as they can be, but when he blows coat it stinks.

I guess when you have a big dog that people notice, like it or not you open yourself up for this stuff.  What really gets me is how every single person who says "You got a Saddle for that thing?" or "Who's walking who?" thinks that they're the very first person to ever say that to you.   I just want to stare at them and scream "SHUT UPPPPPP!!!!!!"

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 01:45:16 pm »
Anky, I haven't had Samson long enough to get truly disgusted yet...I am still at the amused stage...The other day a man walking by asked if he was part horse...I told him he was a Polar Bear hybrid & didn't bat a lash when I said it...lol!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 03:44:45 pm »
When someone asks : Aren't they expensive?--I roll my eyes and say You don't want to know.
My answer to the more pushy ones that ask how much they cost I just laugh and say if you gotta ask, you can't afford it.
Both are considered a joke, and get me out of a situation that I don't want to deal with, without getting anyone's back up.
Stella

It's amazing how people dwell on money, I really think it's inappropriate.  People ask how much my house costs, how much money I make a year and yes how much Drake cost.  I was walking down the street with Drake and this large bubba  :P yells out, "Hey, how much did you pay for your dog?"  This wasn't in the best part of town so I just replied, "Nothing, he was a rescue!"  It was a lie, but WHAT THE h*ll?  What kind of stupid question was that? The best answers are what Stella said above, or what my mom said when someone actually had the gall to ask her how much money my stepdad left her when he died, "ENOUGH!"  That usually shuts them up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:22:21 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 06:00:23 pm »
Great answers!  I think it is appropriate to call people on the carpet for their "unthinking" remarks.  It would be super if people made life a little more challenging by thinking a little deeper (on average).  I think if you utilize these polite, but hilarious, comebacks you will be challenging their thinking skills.  Most often, they will not have another word to say. 

It is always fun to be the bigger person and walk away knowing you didn't take any crap from anyone.  It is even a skill that proves useful against workplace bullies...quit e handy sometimes.

But, we must remember, who did the American populice decide the 100 greatest Americans to be?  I think they forgot anyone who may have developed the vaccines, procedures, inventions, etc., that have actually touched and affected more American lives in a positive way, and not just what has been flaunted by the media lately.  Just goes to show.... LOL  ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 02:31:45 pm »
But, we must remember, who did the American populice decide the 100 greatest Americans to be?  I think they forgot anyone who may have developed the vaccines, procedures, inventions, etc., that have actually touched and affected more American lives in a positive way, and not just what has been flaunted by the media lately.  Just goes to show.... LOL  ;D

Yeah, you're right on that.  There was a scientist who recently passed away, whose invention, something like a mobile electronic circuit, makes all of our electronic devices possible.  I feel bad that I can't remember exactly what it was he invented but it definitely changed how we live as humans.  But do you think we heard about his passing or the importance of his life?  No of course not!  We're too busy hearing about Tom Cruise and how Scientology has made him an expert on everything.  It's sad, it's really, really sad how our world has put such focus on these worthless actors and Hollywood and ignores the people who are really making a difference, like the people MoonliCroatia listed above.  The only solace I have is that these Actors do the worst thing they could possibly do, open their mouths in public. :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:34:29 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 07:55:47 pm »
[ The only solace I have is that these Actors do the worst thing they could possibly do, open their mouths in public. :D

Oh, that is SO true!  I'm cracking up here!  As soon as those people  don't have a script in hand, their poor pathetic selves shine through!!!  Being from So. Cal., it always cracks me up to see "them" roaming about on the loose!  They don't want to be recognized but God forbid you don't!!!