Author Topic: Poop Protocol  (Read 19866 times)

dohertyswissy

Poop Protocol
« on: August 12, 2005, 07:54:58 am »
So, I'm preparing to take Ranger on our daily evening walk and hubby is heading to the grocery to pick up some items.  He tells me on his way out that I may want to walk Ranger around the back yard first, b/c he hasn't pooped yet.  Well, I grab a bottle of water, a plastic bag (just in case), and away we go.  I walk him around the yard for all off 30 seconds, figure hubby doesn't know what he talking about, and that our walk isn't going to be that long.  So, Ranger and I are walking along in an adjacent neighborhood.  Suddenly, Ranger starts lagging behind.  I figure he's just getting tired, which is typical b/c of how darn hot it is around NC these days.  So, we are almost at the end and he stops.  I turn around and he has started to poop on these peoples driveway!!!  I tell him, "NO!" and cross the street into the woods for him to finish his business.  Then, I go back over to the driveway to clean up the poop.  I don't know if any of you have tried to pick up dog poo on a hot August day off of cement, but let me assure you it isn't an easy task!  So, I pick up the poo which is mainly gone, but some is smushed into the cement.  Well, then I decide to empty my bottle of water onto it, hoping that would help...which it did... a little.  So, I sat there contemplating whether or not I should ring the doorbell, explain the situation, and ask to use their hose to finish cleaning up...or do I just bail and wait for the impending thunderstorm to wash off the rest?  Since I didn't know these people and didn't want to get into a confrontation over what an irresponsible dog owner I was, I crossed my fingers and went with the thunderstorm.. .which luckily happened about 45 mins. after we got home.

So, the question is....did I do the right thing?  I mean, what is the protocol when your pup poops on someone's driveway?

Okay guys....stop laughing at me....really.. ..stop it.... ;)

lins_saving_grace

Re: Poop Protocol
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:59:17 am »
Grace pooped in the middle of the street once.  I don't carry bags with me.  (probably not a great idea but walking two rotts doesn't leave a lot of room in your hands for poop bags.)  Maybe subconciously that's a reason I walk them after 10 pm. 
I got busted once last week.  Grace decided she needed to go and plopped down in the neighbors two doors down and started to go.   no bag!  No lights on in the house.  Good they're not home.  OpppS headlights coming down the road.  Crap...it's them.  Hurry Grace Hurry!  I think they thought we were pooping in someone elses yard.   :-\

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:05:54 am »
LOL sorry that is sooo funny! I think what you did was fine.  :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:11:03 am »
thank god for rain!  ::)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 08:14:58 am »
I like to think that we all get points for trying.  I carry bags and clean up after Ranger, but depending on the... uh, poopiness... of the poop, sometimes it is easier than others.  I think even if you don't get it all, most people appreciate an obvious effort...   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:15:56 am »
LOL - I can see you right now Lins....trying to pull a 100 some odd pound Rotti out of the neighbors yard and doing a rain dance at the same time!   

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 08:18:51 am »
A major rain dance.   I'd have poop all over me.  One arms stretched to the limit with dogs at the end and me desperately trying to rech for the poop with the other screaming "WAIT, LADY!"  "GRACE STOP!"  Ohhhhhh Momma's ... ohhhh.... GOD HELP ME>>>>bounce dance...indian chant...prayer s for rain...small whimper. 

Unbelievably.. .yes I agree...there is a degree of poopiness.  Some disappears better than others.  Some is so easy to mow over.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:21:23 am »
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAH! THis is funny! hahahaha! Lins, you're hilarious! I'm CRACKING UP!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 08:21:42 am »
I have seen a man come up with a really inventive way of picking up poop. He didn't have to bend over at all! His dane got in the poop position and he positioned him self behind the dane bag in hand opened underneath the dane, and the poop landed right in the bag!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 08:24:27 am »
:)  always funny stuff going on in my house.   :o ;D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 08:26:27 am »
Nina,  I thought about that ONCE!    It's a great idea! 
I was encouraged not to follow through with it when I applied the same concept to cleaning up barf!  Grace went to throw up once and I hurried to get paper towells to catch it and save a thorough steam cleaning...and that little dog got sooo mad that I did that.  I'm thinking the same affect would happen if something was placed under her to catch poop. 
SHe hates paper towells now and gives the mop heck too! 

dohertyswissy

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 09:13:45 am »
The poor kids are traumatized!  The chanting and flailing arms probably aren't helping....LMA O!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 09:34:58 am »
Doherty, I think you did an AMAZING job!  You could be in Amy Vanderbilts book for Social Behaviors!!!  Maybe you could teach classes on Saturday afternoons!!!  We'd all have our poop bags at the ready!

I try to jam a plastic bag in my pocket when we are out in public...it just adds so much intrigue to this most wonderful middle-aged woman's physical attributes.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 09:48:07 am »
LOL you guys are too funny!

I do have one story...

I was doing some yard work in the front of the house and I see a woman and her daughter walking their 2 boston terriers.  So I quickly grab sophie long line because she has a tendancy to dash after moving animals.  I watch them go by and of course one of them squats and poops in the middle of the road!  The woman was so embarrassed (no bags) and said uh i'll come get that in a minute.  So i'm still outside and some kids coming ride by on bikes and look and the poop and go eewwwwww.  They then look at me and Sophie with the "How dare you!" stare.  I laughed so hard.... I wish those teeny tiny little poops came out of my dog!!!  Cleaning the yard would be ten times easier.    ;D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 09:53:14 am »
LOL that is soo true my dogs poo is big but it's nothing compared to my brothers Dane! I can always tell which one is hers  ;D yes gross I know

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)