Author Topic: Fencing for Guardian Dogs  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Fencing for Guardian Dogs
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:06:30 pm »
We will be moving to a 130+ acre ranch in Nov. The current fencing consists of barb wire with electric at the top and bottom, not child, horse, or dog friendly. I need to go out to get fencing estimates next month. The 8 ft. concrete block/stucco fence at 200k is  cost prohibitive. The standard split 4 rail fence will only hold horses. Chain link is also dangerous for horses, so how about some ideas based upon your experience? We have a Kuvasz, plan to add a second and a Great Pyr within a year. Thanks for your help.

Deena

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Fencing for Guardian Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:40:38 pm »
How about split rail with field wire behind it? It looks good and it's cheap, but don't know about how safe field wire would be for horses, don't know a thing about horses.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:56:05 pm »
http://www.infohorse.com/html/ShowAd.asp?id=687

How about this? Looks like a cheaper route to go. You could buy the  2x4in Sq. wire fencing thats made for horses and dogs and put this on top for added safety.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 06:57:40 pm »
That is so awesome!...The move to such a large spread that is!!...My "ranch" consists of a little over an acre of which about 3/4 is fenced in...I guess I am very lucky as far as Pyrs go from what I've heard...We have 4 ft. chain link & Pippin & Sammy show no interest in leaving the area...The again they respect the baby gates in the house too even when we are gone...Knock on wood!....lol...You might want to go over the the Great Pyrenees forum here & post atten: Jackie...She has pretty extensive knowlege as far as LGD's specifically Pyrs...Good luck!!!

Jen

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 09:33:27 pm »
I found there are 2 ways to go that won't devour your wallet.  And child , horse and escape artist dog freindly.

1.,  Spit rail with 4 rails lined inside with coated pet safe wiremesh.  The split rail is approx $30 per 8 ft.

2.,  There is 6 foot livestock fencing sold at tractor supply stores. I found you can do a squared acre for under $800. 

We are doing this now at my home, in the part visible from the street we are using the stained split rail and around the back and through the wooded area the 6 foot livestock fencing from tractor supply.

Good luck!  Fencing has more than doubled in price since last year because of new gov regulations.  It's a bit shocking!!!!!!!!!

Jen

We will be moving to a 130+ acre ranch in Nov. The current fencing consists of barb wire with electric at the top and bottom, not child, horse, or dog friendly. I need to go out to get fencing estimates next month. The 8 ft. concrete block/stucco fence at 200k is  cost prohibitive. The standard split 4 rail fence will only hold horses. Chain link is also dangerous for horses, so how about some ideas based upon your experience? We have a Kuvasz, plan to add a second and a Great Pyr within a year. Thanks for your help.

Deena

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 09:36:27 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. The ranch is 80+ acres of rolling hill pasture, with stream and a few trees in the pasture. The previous owner leased his pasture for hay and cattle. It has 2 houses, a 100 year old Victorian Farm house, and 1985 large ranch house with wrap around porch. The other 50+ acres is mixed hardwood forest with a creek on the east property line. It's out in the middle of nowhere near the AL/GA border just a few miles north of the Georgia Pacific Forest and Paper Mill.

I had thought about your fencing solutions, but am not sure if Gr. Pyr's are escape artists or require a certain height of fence for security. I'll address this to Jackie's attn in the Gr. Pyr. section tomorrow.

Thanks again.... let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Deena ;)

Jen

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 10:12:10 pm »
Hi sounds wonderful!  I don't know Jackie, is she new?  I will have to check her out.  Pyrs are most notorious for escape!  What do you a call a Pyr off lead??  GONE!  :D  They have been named "dis-a-pyr"!!!  You will need a 6 foot fence and 1 foot buried...THEY DIG!!  They are known to be very active outdoors (trying to escape) and inactive indoors if you are home.  They are best in pairs because they tend to suffer from seperation anxiety.  They are AWESOME with children! Here is a great resourse http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm

I have been researching Pyrs for years and I would be glad to help.  Don't know  a pyr person named Jackie but I use the name Jackie in my e-mail address and in all my posted pics because she is my daughter.

Jen

Jen

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 10:21:20 pm »
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH H,
 You are looking for Jackie Wood from Tanimara Great Pyrenees.  She uses Tanimara I think?

Jen

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 08:41:04 am »
Thanks for the feedback. The ranch is 80+ acres of rolling hill pasture, with stream and a few trees in the pasture. The previous owner leased his pasture for hay and cattle. It has 2 houses, a 100 year old Victorian Farm house, and 1985 large ranch house with wrap around porch. The other 50+ acres is mixed hardwood forest with a creek on the east property line. It's out in the middle of nowhere near the AL/GA border just a few miles north of the Georgia Pacific Forest and Paper Mill.

I had thought about your fencing solutions, but am not sure if Gr. Pyr's are escape artists or require a certain height of fence for security. I'll address this to Jackie's attn in the Gr. Pyr. section tomorrow.

Thanks again.... let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Deena ;)
She may not reply until Monday though as that's when she is in town in the shop...& Jen's right she does go by Tanimara on the board but will reply to Jackie I'm sure too. :)

Jen

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 10:52:31 am »
I noticed the link I sent you was too light to read.  This is a great resource for Pyrs  http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm  I hope the blu shows up better. 

Jen

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 11:50:27 am »
We are just trying to fence in the property at our cabin...only an acre (TINY by your standards!!) but I was leaning toward split rail because it's so much nicer looking than chain link.  Do you think it could keep the Newfs in?

And the cost here in Northern California is astronomical compared to what you guys are saying!!  What's up with that????   We actually planned to do split rail on the front and chainlink on the longer sides of the property...jus t because of the cost!

Jen

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 12:25:07 pm »
HA!  Dental floss would keep my Newf on my property...she will never wander too far from our air conditioning!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 12:28:49 pm »
That's sort of what I thought at first too....until the nice lady in the office across the street gave Chester cookies when we went out on walks.  He takes himself on walks now and goes visiting!!!  HEY!!! It's cookies!!!!  Now I've got to figure out how to gate the driveway and fence off the property all because of $%*$&  cookies!!!! ::)

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 12:39:01 pm »
omg...can i please move there with you?  i will live in a little cottage! and i'll even cook for you!  please let me live there!  it's my DREAM!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 12:48:10 pm »
Good Hope I posted in your other thread. But when I had horses we never really fenced in for both the dogs and horses, but the dogs never went through the fences so I guess it was working for them aswell.

We had 4 split rails, the "rails" were wooden and hmmm not sure if 4" or 6" wide, then we had the electric white bands inbetween, the bands were 1" wide and put under the first rail, between first and second and between second and third, the fence was all in all somewhere between 6 and 7 feet tall. I dont know what kind of horses you have, if you need that talll of a fence. But that is a safe and secure way to go with them and I am pretty sure most dogs would not try and escape through them.

It sounds wonderful where you are moving, I read it with stream and woods and all and I know if I read it to Chris you will have my hubby living there too, so both nickers and my hubby will come live there hehe. I love the country side too, but it is and has alwasy been chris's dream to move somewhere like that.

Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog