BPO Breeding Forum > Breeding Questions & Information

How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?

<< < (2/5) > >>

aggghgmom:
I can't tell you what to do about this particular breeder but I can tell you that when we were looking for a flat coat we ran into some very demanding breeders.  They wanted a letter or a phone call from our vet; histories on our other dogs and one wanted us to write an essay about what we expected our experience with a flat coat to be.

I wish more breeders were demanding and then maybe there would be less people obtaining dogs they aren't prepared for.

Best of luck - how exciting a new puppy!! :D

People Whisperer:
Heather, if you know her kennel name or dam's name you can get on http://www.offa.org/search.html and see her dog's health records.
You must be super excited!!! Good luck :)

patrick:
As a breeder I can tell you a written letter of reference is NOT worth the paper it is written on!  Anyone even a convicted rapist can get someone to write a letter of reference  And yes it is good to ask a lot of questions about the breeding program health problems etc but be mindful that the breeder actually has things to do like take care of the dogs and puppies and spending several hours a day answering long winded emails may not be in the best interest of the dogs.  A lot more info can be covered more easily in a phone call.  And if you get references of past puppy buyers you can call them too.  Rescues can also be a good source but only if that breeder's dogs are ending up in rescue.  Otherwise what is the rescue basing their opinion on??

chaos270:
I'd go through the Newf Club rather than AKC.  I think she should give you the OFA info prior to you having to meet her. Recommendation s from a vet I could understand but employer and such is being a bit paranoid. Does she have a website where you can get a list of her dog's names? If so maybe get the list and then look them up yourself. We're in the New England Newf Club...I'm not sure when the next meeting is but you should try to go to one once you get a list of breeders you may be interested in. They have a breeder's list on their website and I know there are a few good breeders local as well as in New York.

Tspanos:
Hi Heather, I think I can actually know which breeder your talking with. i think its a bit excessive what she's asking for but ultimatly thats for you and Dan? to decide. I will say I would give Cathy (rescuer Cordinator for NCNE) a call or email. I will pm you her info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version