Author Topic: dogs and alcohol... obsession???  (Read 2691 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
dogs and alcohol... obsession???
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:37:15 pm »
just a question.  my mom's chihuahua does this same thing if you don't watch him, so i'm not sure if it's a chi thing or if a lot of dogs do it, as none of out big paws do.  whenever me and hubby get drinks out (i drink strawberry daiquiris (sp?) or whatever mixed drinks i want at that time and hubby drinks beer) peanut is OBSESSED with the drinks!  we don't drink often, typically maybe once a month (if that often, we just had one drink each the past two nights after 11 months of none at all) we will have a drink or two.  if i use a paper towel he will run off with it and hide under a chair licking it until i can manage to get it away from him, assuming he doesn't run under a different chair when he sees me coming.  he chases our glasses, even if we switch them from hand to hand, and he gets SO irritated at you for not letting him have it.  if you manage to keep it away from him in your hands, he then goes to trying to lick your face, or anything that remotely smells like your drink.  he's never had any of our drink, and we don't intend on letting him either, so i don't know if maybe it just smells sweet or what.  he doesn't do this with coke, or anything else, ONLY alcohol.  anyone else have this experience with their dog(s)?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: dogs and alcohol... obsession???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:45:21 pm »
well, i like my rum (or vodka) with coke, and if i leave a cup out, you will certainly find memphis trying to catch a lick of it...
lol
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:40:18 pm »
haha I had to check out this thread since two of my dogs are named after drinks- Saki and Whiskey ;)

Whiskey we named the day we picked him up, and were astonished to find out he really does have an affinity for whiskey. I had bought my ex husband a nice bottle of single barrel whiskey for his birthday and he had poured himself about an inch and a half of whiskey in a tumbler and set it on the table- then went back in the kitchen for something. When he came back 12 week old whiskey had sucked down the ENTIRE glass and was licking his lips. Try explaining that to the emergancy vet!!

Also, I thought this post could stand to be illustrated :P

My friend Sharon and one of her dogs Player attempting to get the last few drops.

Tiger, a foster goldendoodle we had for a while, proving that he IS in fact, a Drinkin' Dood

And whiskey as a puppy (he had a misbegotten youth) with the following message: Be careful just how much you drink, or you never know what you'll wake up to in the morning.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:03:00 am »
Oh yes.. Ranger loves the beer.  Case in point:  This Saturday, we were having a little Pre-St. Patty's/Birthday celebration at my house before cruising around town in the limo.  Well, my friend Russ brought over some Guinness and one semi-exploded and there was beer all over the kitchen floor, as well as RangerRoos badonkadonk.  Ranger went straight for the beer on the floor, while simultaneously trying to lick the beer of his backside.  It was a sight.. me trying to control a 130lb Swissy, while guarding the beer and trying to wipe off his badonkadonk.

I think he takes after his Mama...

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:41:42 am »
Koby could care less about booze, but my cat on the other hand will do ANYTHING to get to the yummy stuff!  He goes insane trying to swipe at the glass/bottle with is paw trying to knock it over so he can get to it.  ::)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:37:29 am »
i'm so glad i'm not the only one ha ha!  our big paws won't touch it.  as a matter of fact, if i put a blender or a cup of open liquor on the counter they won't even go in the kitchen!  the blender noise scares them and i guess the liquor smells super strong ha ha.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 06:55:26 am »
Oh gosh, Kate is such a beer-monger! She will pretty much try to walk all over Eric if he's drinking a beer, it's ridiculous :D

I found out a little "secret" of Eric's a while back though. He uses our outdoor hot tub at least once a week, Kate always goes outside in the yard to keep him company. He almost always brings a beer out with him. One day as he was heading out I noticed he had 2 beers with him. I pulled a wise-crack "do you really need 2?" and he said "well Kate always has some of mine"!

WHAT???!!! I went out there and he showed me how he would spill a bit of his beer on the hot tub steps for Kate! Needless to say, I put a stop to that one  ::)

How silly!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:19:23 am »
oOoOoOoOoOoOo!  i remember my dad doing that with our schnauzer growing up!  he was such a boozer too!  ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:13 am »
This is a funny thread!  McDougal, our Papillon is seven now and has been a booze hound since he was a pup.  When we got him, my husband and I were still going out a lot and having parties so McDougal drank a lot of beer- hmm, maybe that's why he's so odd!  At our outdoor wedding, we had a kegorater and McD hung out by the spout and drank everything that hit the ground.  He was trashed by the end of the night.  My SIL took him home for us and he passed out in the car.  Then, at three in the morning, she woke up to being peed on in bed- by McDougal!!!!  What a lush.  Now that we've "matured" poor Mr. McDOugal doesn't get to drink much anymore.  Probably a good thing!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat