Author Topic: I have very upsetting news.  (Read 11962 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I have very upsetting news.
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:26:17 am »
My 3 yr old american bulldog passed away this morning.  :'( The weird thing is that we have no clue why.  I fed all the dogs like usual and we let them out for their morning hour run in the yard.  We called all of them back in and everyone came but cotton which isnt uncommon if she finds something she wont come.  So i shut the door and went and got dressed.  While i am doing this winston my giant is frantically running to me and then back to the door which he does if someone is left out or if he has to go potty. 

I walk outside and mind you i have 8 acres all fenced in that the dogs can have full access to but my bf had locked the gate last night because it got to be 25 degrees last night which is freezing for mobile alabama.  When we let them out last night we didnt want to have to bunddle up and get on the forwheelers looking for dogs.  So last night they only had access to about an acre. 

We went out side and cotton is nowhere in site.  we go to the gate and it is open weird huh!  So we go to the barn and all the horses are in the stalls waiting to be let out and still no cotton.  I am getting very worried at this piont.  Then i saddled up my mare and rode her up and down the fence line to see if i could find her still nowhere in sight.  I ride back to the barn because at this point it has been an hour past she was suppose to be back inside and thought i might have just missed her and she is at the backdoor waiting on me.

I go to the barn and call my bf at the house to let the other dogs out cause she might be wondering the property and they probably could smell her and i had checked the entire fencing and all was secure.  Well all 4 of the other dogs come running into the barn barking at the horses running up to me.  And then my boxer started to act really funny and was running to the tack room and then back to me.  I thought she had found a rat and the barn cats were inside last night so it was very likely.

I look around and see nothing out of the ordinary and brooklynn then jumps up on my tack box.  I look behind it and sure enough there is cotton shaking.  I pet her and new she didnt feel good.  We carried her back to the house where she was still shaking.  Now at first i thought she was hypothermic or something but that tack room was fully heated all night nd it was like a boiler room when i walked in there. 

Well we rushed her to my vet and she died on the way there.  I feel like a horrible mom cause she was acting fine when i let her out her same goofy self.  The vet was going to do an autopsy to see what happened.  Has anyone of you ever heard of a dog just dying like this.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: I have very upsetting news.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:31:04 am »
I am so sorry for your loss. Never have I heard of anything like that. Do you think one of the horse's could have kicked her? again I am sorry.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:33:24 am »
Oh Amber,

So sorry. Poisoning can have those symptoms, but could be many other things. I do not want you worry with alot of what ifs until the vet gives you the final word. How terrible. Prayers are with you. Please let us know the results.

Deena

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 11:33:55 am »
That thought did go through my mind but the only thing is that all the horses were in the stalls so they couldnt have.  thnk you so much for posting

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:41:01 am »
I have no idea either, but please accept my condolences!  How awful!  Don't blame yourself...you have no idea at this point.  Maybe a blood clot?  I am so sorry :'(

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 11:41:45 am »
I had a puppy have a pulmonary anuerism (sp?).  She was acting a little weird for a couple of days but when I took her to the vet she had a UTI and then the next day she started shaking and drooling and then just dropped.  On necropsy her chest was full of blood.  Maybe the same thing happened.  I felt really guilty about not knowing and doing something about it at the time but then I realized there was never anyway to tell about an anuerism.  Sorry about your loss.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:26:46 pm »
I'm very sorry for your loss Amber. We'll send good thoughts your way.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 12:54:08 pm »
Oh no... I'm so sorry! That's terrible news!
Do you think she might have been bitten by a snake? I just can't imagine how she could go downhill so very fast.  :'(
You are in my thoughts.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 08:39:23 pm »
Amber I am very sorry for your loss  :'(
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »
OMG Amber, I am so sorry.  Please give me a call if you would like to chat .  I wish Sugar Bear could give you one of his face lick kisses.  Sugar Bear and Dixie miss Aunt Amber, so we have to get together.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:32:46 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

There are a number of things it could be, and i don't really want to speculate about any of them.

Please keep us updated if you find anything out.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 12:50:32 pm »
Hi Amber, just wanted to check and see how you are doing today?  Call if you need anything.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 03:44:23 pm »
Oh, poor baby.  I'm so sorry to hear.  That is strange
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 04:25:35 pm »
Alright everyone i have the results. 

Thank you so much for all of you through this really rough time.  i really appreicate it.  Well the vet calle dme and told me that she was poisoned.  She had ani freeze all in her blood.  I freaked out trying to think if i had any in the yard or something and i didnt we think someone did this to her.  Well i rushed the other four dogs to the vet and ends up that my giant schnauzer and my boxer also had it in thier blood but they are doing fine and they are coming home tomorrow. 
  It really makes me mad.  I have contacted the local spca because a year ago my nieghbors got really upset because they told me that i had a pit bull in my yard and that she was going to get out and attack everyone.  Well one cotton is not a pit bul but an american bulldog and two what is so wrong with pits this is what makes me so mad about stupid ppl.
    Well they moved two months ago and it didnt end very nicley some words were said over the fence between my fiance and the husband and so we have an idea it might be them but the spca is going to investigate it.
   I will keep yall posted.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »
I'm glad that everyone will be ok. I hope that justice prevails.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.