Mountain Dogs > Caucasian Mountain Dog Discussions & Pictures

Caucasion Mountain Dog

<< < (3/4) > >>

Leah...:
I did not by any stretch of the imagination mean to say i did not think you were going to care for the dog properly, i simply implied that if the dog was not to have a proper job, it may not be the right breed for you. (wonderful breed, definetely, for you? maybe not so much) The breed standard says "The characteristic reaction is the active-defensive one." This is not always good for a family pet.

You said: "They live with their goats and do a job." if they are actually DOING a job (like i am sure yours are), they are good at it, and if you train correctly, they can have a good relationship with their masters. if not, they can become aggresive and un-social. you saw in pictures how powerful they are, and you wouldn't want to meet an unhappy one in a dark ally. they can also be loving, protective FAMILY dogs. (see picture below)

"Working dogs live outside." yes, they do---pets do not.

I am in Aussies. The Australian Shepherd is not a protector, but a herder. They are able to be a family dog 6 hours out of the day, and go out and be with the herd the other 6. i guess that is why i never really understood strictly outside dogs. Aussies will work and work and work until you tell them to stop, (even if it means hurting themselves) or in the case of a very versatile dog, they will sleep and sleep and sleep until you tell them to stop! (often in front of highly trafficed doorways) :P

So i guess what i am trying to say is i don't think that the reason she wanted a CAO is for protecting goats. and although i doubt she is going to chain up her dog and never give it any attention, it doesn't deserve to sit out in a yard and do nothing.

Leah

Kermit:
I have never met a Caucasian Mountain Dog of any kind, but it is obvious that they are a serious dog, a huge commitment, and not to be taken lightly. Surely they need a very experienced handler.

I would like to hear some more info from the original poster regarding what exactly they are looking for in a new dog and why they might be interested in breeding??

Saintgirl:
Completely off topic, but I have to say WOW!!! BAbs- that is one impressive boy you have there! Schutzhund training? Tell us more about his training and how its going!

BabsT:
No, he would never be a sport dog LOL... so many things required that he just wouldnt do... I just had him agitated by a professional/friend to make sure he had the will to protect.  He is still young 2 on Halloween but he (as the trainers said) has the ability to take a threat very seriously and should be a force by the time he is three....

I think a lot of breeds have their original purposes bred out of them so it is good to see Zero is exactly what the breed temp is (even if he is a little more serious than some)

LuvmyMal:
He is beautiful, but I can honestly say I would have to stick with my stubborn mals, they can be a little much at times. We studied them long before we got Tonka and it helped that I had a husky mix when I was younger as well, but Sometimes, I wish they were protective, but I knew that was not part of the breed before I got them and I can be a big push over at times with them and not be stearn enough. Will follow up with a "Thank you" to everyone for educating us on their dogs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version