Author Topic: Hello from Sailor/Special's Mom  (Read 5006 times)

mooheather

Hello from Sailor/Special's Mom
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:18:57 pm »
Hi, I am Heather. I have been meaning to post for weeks now, but I have been so wrapped up with spending time with Sailor (newly adopted Newf- thanks to the TLC and hard work of some amazing BPO folks!) and Gus (senior St Bernard) that I have barely had time to wipe drool from the walls.

I am also blessed to live with Annabelle, a 4 yo rescued St Bernard, who has been amazingly resilient at handling the new additions to our home. In fact, she has been more playful, more affectionate, and no longer licks her paws either- so I guess she is as happy as I am about our expanded family.

I am very grateful to have found this wonderful community, and I hope to learn a lot, and even contribute some too.

I work with a local animal rescue, am a vet tech, and have recently developed a keen interest in working with transports to get dogs into forever homes.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Sailor/Special's Mom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:13:22 am »
Welcome, glad you finally made it to BP. What an awesome thing adopting 'Sailor' Glad to hear everything is working out,can't wait to see pics of the whole family soon. ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:31:45 am »
Hi and welcome!  I'm so glad that Sailor has a wonderful new home and also that you've joined us!  We're really looking forward to hearing about how Sailor and your whole family are doing.  Welcome! :)

Jessica, Sasha, and Bella :)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:12:04 am »
HEATHER!

I'm so glad you're here! Sailor sounds like she is doing so well, it makes me cry! I didn't realize that you guys were in Wilmington! So, she'll get to go to the beach, too! WHOOOOOH! Sailor loves the beach!

I can't wait to see pictures of her and her new sister and foster brother. How is her fur doing? Growing out?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA Y! WELCOME TO BPO HEATHER!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:22:07 am »
Welcome Heather, Sailor, Gus and Annabelle!!!!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:22:56 am »
Hi! Welcome, and congrats on Sailor! This is such an amazing place to be part of.  When you get a chance I would love to see pics of the extended family! :D

I'm Angeleen, and Bella is my almost 7 month old Saint. :)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:24:39 pm »
Welcome to BPO Heather, and CONGRATULATION S on Sailor! ;D

Sailor's story really touched me, such a sweet girl that just wasn't given the fairest start in life.  SO GLAD to hear she is doing so well adapting to her forever home, that is just the best knews ever!!! ;D  Bless your heart for adopting her  :) Not to mention all the BPO girls too for all of their hard work!  ;D

Great to have you on board, I'm sure you'll love it here!  Would love to see pics of Sailor and Gus and Annabelle when you get the chance!

Oh, by the way I am Kelly and that's my Leo girl Kate, she's 1 year 5 months  ;)

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:15:58 am »
Ooooookaaaaay. ...

SO WHERE ARE PICTURES, HEATHER?!

I'm waiting. um, patiently. hehehehe!

mooheather

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 09:13:57 pm »
Hello friends..,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and for understanding the special issues that can come with fur-babies from less-than-ideal beginnings.

Sailor has quickly become a treasured part of our family- she is beautiful and energetic and enigmatic, and may be the most 'spoiled' canine currently, by virtue of her neediness and desire for affection, and my inability to understand what she really needs.

But she gets tons of attention, and has as much contact as she will tolerate with 2 adult St Bernards- and she is learning to play with toys- especially paper towel rolls. And even to play 'chase' or 'follow' with trusted humans and dogs.

My most precious moments with Sailor are alone- driving in the car with her head on my lap, or strking her while reading on the back deck, or playing alone in the grass- when I know that she has no fears, and is just revelling in the attention and physical contact. It can sadden me that she is so needy, but I try to focus on fulfilling her needs, and proving to her that she will never be neglected again.

I know that I am relatively ignorant of the ways of Newfs- no matter how much I read- and I would be happy for any suggestions or words of wisdom from those with more experience with the breed. Sailor is a delight to me, but also a mystery in many ways. I want her to have the best life possible.

Thanks for any help you offer!

Heather and Sailor and Annabelle and Gus

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:07:46 am »
Heather!!!  You finally made it to BPO!!!  It's me, the other Heather  ;), that completed the route to deliver that special girl to you!  I am soo glad to hear that things are working out with you and Sailor.  Your dedication to her does my heart good!  Also, big THANKS to all you donated to the rescues in this area.  It was very, very appreciated!!   :-*

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:53 am »
Heather!

Sounds like everything is going well. I think that with the love, attention and CONSISTENCY you are giving Sailor, she is going to blossom into a beautiful creature. She's well on her way.

I can't wait to see PICTURES! *hint-hint*

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 07:49:54 am »
Welcome to BPO!  I am glad to hear everyone is settling in well and I am sure in no time all the pups will be best friends.  Congrats!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:47:08 am »
Welcome to BPO!  Thanks for sharing your prescious moments with your new girl.  Does us good to hear stories like yours.

Please post some pics when you can.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!