Author Topic: pack status or placement or whatever lol  (Read 4686 times)

nickerbokker

pack status or placement or whatever lol
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:46:28 pm »
ok.  in a different post, it was brought up that i should feed cody first cuz he is older and supposed to be the alpha according to me LMAO.  i personall, have always eaten first cuz im a hungry girl lol, but here's my question. 

when feeding cody first, what do i do with angus.  do i feed cody in the bathroom so angus can't get him, or do i put angus in the bathroom and feed cody in the kitchen, or do i feed cody in the kitchen and have angus on a leash so he can't get the food or what?  angus will try to eat me to get to codys food, so im looking forward to that lol, but what exactly do i do with mr cody, or does it matter?

second....does taking them out to pee matter with order i go?  i always take angus first, cuz im scared if i take cody first, angus will pee in the house, but should i make him wait and take out the codester?  does this even matter?

thanx dudes

nickers

lins_saving_grace

Re: pack status or placement or whatever lol
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 12:51:06 pm »
I take Grace out first for the same reason you take Angus out first.

I feed Lady and Grace at the same time...put their bowls far enough apart they aren't bothered by each other.  :)   
I know there's the whole alpha thing...but they have to deal with it my way.  I'M THE ALPHA!  <---I think.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:53:09 pm »
I put baby gates in the kitchen..so I feed the mojos 1st and try and make Willow sit so she doesn't break through the gate...  then I let them out and Willow in and feed her...I  make her sit 1st before she can eat so she doesn't maul me getting to her food...  she actually now is starting to sit before I even have to request her to do it...  she is a smart girl.

As for the peeing thing - lol don't know what to say about that...  I know I always put on the mojos leashes 1st then Willows

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 01:00:09 pm »

It really is almost impossible for YOU to decide who is going to be dominant amoung your 2 dogs.

HOWEVER, here is how I handle things in my pack.

I always reinforce the pack hierarchy here. The alpha bitch (subordinant to THIS alpha bitch, of course..... ;) ) is always first in line for everything. She is the first to be petted, fed, get new toys, to go out, to get a cookie, to get in the car, you name it.

If she is interacting with one of the other dogs and it is getting out of hand, I correct the subordinant. No matter if she is wrong or not. It is the fault of the subordinant for not backing down.

If I were you, I would use crates to confine the dogs at meal time. That way you can put them in the crates, and the #2 dog can WATCH you feed the #1 dog.

Same with going out. If you have crates, you can put #2 dog inside it, and let #1 dog go out first without worrying if your house will be soiled.

I really like feeding multiple dogs in confined areas. This way the dog can eat in peace without feeling that he must defend it from others.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 01:02:10 pm »
you always have such good advice red

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 01:11:19 pm »
thank you VERY much red!  you do always have great advice!!!!!!!!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 01:16:45 pm »

Well, I can be a little quick getting to the point sometimes, as you all know.

;)

But I have a lot of experience, and I really do enjoy being able to share it when it might help someone.

I come to boards like this for just that reason. So many people mentored me and helped me along the way, and they were very generous in sharing with me what they had learned over the years.

This is just one way I try to give a little of it back.

;D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 01:46:18 pm »
well we love and are so glad you are here!!!  ANd I like the quick to the point...lol

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 01:57:12 pm »
I like the advice too. I'm planning on getting a second dog some day, so this is very helpful. Kiah already knows that I'm alpha and she even obeys my two year old.

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:41:22 am »
ok. red, I've seen you give a lot of good advice so I have a question. Savannah hasn't been a big eater since we got her, when she stands up you can see her ribs. Then we got Neo, he is a big eater and Savannah watching him eat has made her more interested in food, so I let them eat together, and she has been eating a lot more. Is this a bad idea???

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 01:19:30 am »
I know you asked Red, but figured I'd pop in if that's ok?  :)  Tenchi is a poor eater and I find that he eats better when with the rest of the crew instead of seperated.  If they're not having issues, then I don't see why you can't feed them together.  Just make sure each puppy eats out of their own bowl.  Then when they're done make sure that their bowls are picked up.  You don't want to inadvertantly teach them to be food guardians.   :-\

If there was already a problem, then I'd feed the dogs seperately, but as close as possible that they can get comfortably.  Clicker training works wonderfully for teaching these kind of behaviors.   ;D  If the problem is food aggression, I'd feed the aggressor OUT of the crate on a loose leash and the other one in it.  Don't need to redirect food guarding to space guarding also. Occasionally treat the aggressor for good behavior and slowly increase the distance over a period of weeks. 

I've heard that a wonderful book to learn more about resource guaring is "Mine !" by Jean Donaldson.  I haven't read it personally, but have heard it being recommended to others by many people that I respect.

As far as who's the alpha in our pack?  I am.  They don't get doled treats, attention etc in any particular order.  If there is a scuffle(which there rarely is), whoever's involved gets a downstay timeout and a glare.  As far as pack order, I find that mine is pretty fluid.  Depending on what's involved, different dogs get "first dibs". 

My guys usally eat scattered around the kitchen now, but they ate like this for the first couple of months living here. 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 06:29:41 am »
I love the picture all lined up like that. ;D ;D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 09:35:29 am »
My guys eat at the same time out of a raised feeder.  I put the food in Rocco's bowl first because it is closest but they have to wait until I'm done filling the bowls to eat.  I don't know who is alpha, probably Rocco since if Maia is being too crazy he holds her down by her nose.

I don't know they are kinda equal, is that possible?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs