Author Topic: can anyone gimme advice on why my dog wants to eat everything? -nicki  (Read 13648 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone gimme advice on why my dog wants to eat everything? -nicki
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 08:38:05 pm »
no marit it didn't

;)

lmao hehehe too bad..... now I might have to post a two pages long post about it, and I expect you to read it nickers hehe  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 08:39:51 pm »
I think a lot of billybooker's ideas are very sound.  Using similar methods, Ranger has come a long way in his comfort level with meeting people he doesn't know, especially children. 

I think if you were to work on the edge of Angus' threshold, as suggested, with a ton of treats, to position the presence of strangers as a positive thing for him, it certainly couldn't hurt! 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 04:52:47 pm »
Billybookers has some great points. Rewards for good behavior is the best. How you deal with bad behavior is a bit different.
I'm fortunate, Tulsa doesn't want me out of her sight, so I can confine her and walk away. When I come back to her, she's eager to please, and has the intelligence to put it together.
As I said in another thread, she was leash aggresive, didn't like men, or children, would lunge and snap when on leash.
It took daily sessions that lasted several months to get her over these issues.
It doesn't happen in a day!
That's why we have so many dogs with GREAT potential in our shelters.
People with no knowledge of dogs expect them to be good dogs in a day.
It takes a lifetime of positive training to turn a dog into a companion.
It may look like 'work', but "Love" is another four letter word.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

dohertyswissy

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:59 am »
Nickers - Sounds like you've gotten some very good advice here from everyone.  I've also heard that by saying "It's okay," you may be inadvertently (wow that's a big word ;) ) praising them in a time of instability.  Swissys are notorious for alerting their people when something is out of place or different.  It comes from years of being bred as an all purpose dog, including protection of the family.  For example, I moved the recycle bin to our back deck when we were having a party.  Well, Ranger flipped!  Look at the bin like "Wait a minute!  That is SOOO not supposed to be there!"  Then, he started barking at it.  A good thing that we picked up from obedience class was "Go say Hello."  Basically, you take a treat, place it in front of the object, then tell your pup, "Go Say Hello."  So, the dog associates the object with something positive (the treat).  We use this with objects, as well as people, although we've never had much trouble with Ranger with people. 

Just a thought...mayb e it'll help?

Hang in there, girl!  There is a fabulous dog lurking inside Wangus who deseperately wants to come out!  :-*

Hugs,
Swissy