Author Topic: I think Izzy had a Seizure ...  (Read 11400 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
I think Izzy had a Seizure ...
« on: August 21, 2006, 10:22:05 am »
I was on the phone with my husband , Izabelle ( my 1 year old daughter that recently fell down our basement stairs) was right next to me on the floor when suddenly she gasped for air , like when a child is sucking in all that air before they let out a full blown cry or tantrum , but she wouldn't let it out , and she was all stiff and turning blue , I kept saying her name over and over again , thinking "Just let it out hon" and finally she sighed , and she had this far off look in her eyes for just a bit , then she was back . She let out a little wimper and fell asleep in my arms . I wasn't sure what had happend and neither was my husband . I thought maybe she hurt herself somehow ( I have no idea how as I was RIGHT there ) and just held her breath too long ??? And then it was right about the normal time she takes a nap so I wasn't surprised she fell asleep . Was talking to my Mom about it though and she is certain it was a seizure , so now I'm waiting for Izzy's doctor to call me back . I'm really scared something is wrong , maybe something they didn't find when she fell down the stairs ??? Does anyone here have any experience with seizures ? Please pray for my little girl that she'll be okay  :-[
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: I think Izzy had a Seizure ...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
One of my kids tried to fly off a jungle gym when he was two and ended up with a depressed skull fracture.  He got very sleepy and started vomiting....so off we went to the ER.  Don't mess around, make sure your Dr.'s office knows how serious this is.  Tell them you suspect a concussion.  They'll probably want to you go to the ER.  I'm sure she's fine, but it's better to have her thoroughly checked out and be wrong than to dismiss it and have a problem down the line.

Oh, by the way, that young man ended up being fine and I ended up with a lot of grey hair!!!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:37 am »
My son was diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 1 1/2. Let us know what your Doctor says, and if you have any questions or need to talk, PM me and I'll be happy to share what I know.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:16:05 am »
I have never had that experience with my own children but I had a couple of pretty intense seizures as a toddler...They never did find out what caused them.
I will certainly be saying prayers for Izzy...How frightening Mom! :(

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:02 am »
Just wanted to let you know I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Please keep us posted.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:15 am »
Well I've talked to the doctors and they said there's not much they can do as it happened over 4 hours ago . So I'm supposed to watch her closely and if it happens again I must bring her in ASAP and they'll do all the bloodwork , etc . Now that I've had time to sit back and think , I'm wondering if she didn't have a seizure at the top of the stairs and that is why she fell down them ??? Because her actions today mimic what she was like at the bottom of the stairs . So anyways , now I just sit and wait . I'm praying that is it and she'll never do it again . Thankyou for praying with me !
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:28:47 am »
It does sound like she may be experiencing petit mal seizures.  I would watch for that "far off look" and document all episodes.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:33:38 am »
It does sound like she may be experiencing petit mal seizures.  I would watch for that "far off look" and document all episodes.

Thankyou , I will most deffinetly be taking her in ASAP if it happens again . I've wrote down everthing that's happened so far also .
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:23:28 pm »

Thankyou , I will most deffinetly be taking her in ASAP if it happens again . I've wrote down everthing that's happened so far also .

Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 01:36:14 pm »
I was baby-sitting a 5 year old a couple months ago and his mom had told me he had seizures every once in awhile. He and I were sitting at the table and he was eating a snack and talking to me. Suddenly, he got very quiet, stared straight ahead and started to lean to the side like he was going to fall out of the chair! I put my hand out to catch him, but he didn't fall, and literally seemed to "snap out of it" and then looked back at me and repeated the very last thing he had said before his seizure. The way it sounds like your daughter just "snapped out of it" afterwards makes it sound like it was a seizure. Take her to your doctor right away if you think you need to or she has any other problems.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 02:07:39 pm »
You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope she doesn't have any more episodes.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:14:28 pm »
Our family doctor is her pediatrician . She did it again a little while ago , it was super short . It happened when I told her no for opening the pellet stove door and she got mad at me . So now I don't know what it is , is it a seizure or a really good tantrum ?? I have no idea what to do ? The doctors of course was already closed ....
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 06:03:29 pm »
I hope that Izzy is doing fine,times like these are what make parents get grey hairs.or white if you prefer.

I have no experience with siezures sometimes it is what my mom used to call growing pains,but it sounds like you are on top of things and know what to look for.

Keep us all posted
Are the four legged kids acting any different towards her,sometimes they can tell things we can't even imagine.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 06:24:22 pm »
We'll be keeping Izzy in our prayers.

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:16 am »
You and Izzy are in our thoughts and prayers. If the fur kids aren't shaving enough years off our lives from worry, the skin kids get out that razor, I swear!
Stella