Author Topic: someone mentioned 501c & rescue...  (Read 3224 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
someone mentioned 501c & rescue...
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:00:04 am »
in another thread this was started, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents...but didn't want to take away from the original post...
I have already spoke to my CPA about it- he will support me and help me in what ever way is possible- and I have enough land. Its a major decision, and not one with out forseeable heartbreaks. I am seriously trying to do the research. I am not sure if financially I could do it on my own though, thats the hard part. In the past 2 weeks I have spent a LOT of money on Zoey and I dont know if I could do that on a regular basis.

I feel the same way. I would love to have a rescue for Danes. The thing with rescue is many people don't plan it out. I know many people that have started parrot rescues...need less to say in a year or 2 they have 50 parrots that aren't really any better off than where they started. A limit has to be set before you start, it is hard, but the most successful rescues I have seen set limits and stuck to them. I occasionally take in birds in need If they come to me, and then make sure they are healthy and adopt them out. I have 5 macaw parrots that are my pets, so I will only take in 1-2 "rescue" birds at a time. Yesterday I gave a Calico Macaw to a woman because she wasn't happy here with the others, I could have sold her for $1000 or more, but I wanted a good home and this person has a daughter in vet school, and she is a manager at a small petshop in town. I know Kyla will be happy with her and she will spoil her rotten.
My problem with taking in "rescue" dogs here is that my older parents live "with" us...well they live in a house on the same land as us. And we share a yard (4 + acres), I don't think they would be happy with dogs that have behavioral issues etc. My mom is a bit scared of big dogs.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:00:38 am by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

bigdogs@5501

Re: someone mentioned 501c & rescue...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:09:22 am »
Its not something to do on a whim. So thats why I still havent done it- But its not out of the question. I just need to make sure that it is doable.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:02 am »
I wasn't saying you would do it on a whim(sorry if it came across that way)....I was just agreeing with ya. :) I would love to do it, I always feel like there is more I should do for animals...and I have the same worries about $$$ time etc. and after seeing people get overwhelmed FAST, I want to plan it out if I ever do some sort of rescue. Plus I have to get it in my head AHEAD of time that they are TEMPORARY just here waiting for a forever home. LOL I too suck at fostering. :)
...I am hoping by the time the kids are graduated I will be in a better position to do something more.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:28:29 am »
OH no - it didnt- Another one of my problems is that I am a foster failure. I would have to get over that before I could seriously do the rescue thing. I personally believe that a dog that is rescued needs to have constant attention and love - and then I get attached and thats why I live with over 800 pounds of dog as we speak.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 09:41:56 am »
I do need to do that and I also need some BPO help with getting them all lined up for another picture so that I can update the Avatar. I have tried and they are all wanting to go in a different direction.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:41:58 am »
LMAO good luck getting them all together. :)
I actually took in a Bull Mastiff that showed up in our yard about 25 pounds to thin. I never found the owner, we named her Sydney, and after getting her weight back on and some training, I actually did adopt her out. She went to a great home, but man did I miss her. We lived in town at the time, and the house was small...2 kids and 2 danes were more than enough.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

lorim2

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:19:02 am »
in another thread this was started, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents...but didn't want to take away from the original post...
I have already spoke to my CPA about it- he will support me and help me in what ever way is possible- and I have enough land. Its a major decision, and not one with out forseeable heartbreaks. I am seriously trying to do the research. I am not sure if financially I could do it on my own though, thats the hard part. In the past 2 weeks I have spent a LOT of money on Zoey and I dont know if I could do that on a regular basis.

I feel the same way. I would love to have a rescue for Danes. The thing with rescue is many people don't plan it out. I know many people that have started parrot rescues...need less to say in a year or 2 they have 50 parrots that aren't really any better off than where they started. A limit has to be set before you start, it is hard, but the most successful rescues I have seen set limits and stuck to them. I occasionally take in birds in need If they come to me, and then make sure they are healthy and adopt them out. I have 5 macaw parrots that are my pets, so I will only take in 1-2 "rescue" birds at a time. Yesterday I gave a Calico Macaw to a woman because she wasn't happy here with the others, I could have sold her for $1000 or more, but I wanted a good home and this person has a daughter in vet school, and she is a manager at a small petshop in town. I know Kyla will be happy with her and she will spoil her rotten.
My problem with taking in "rescue" dogs here is that my older parents live "with" us...well they live in a house on the same land as us. And we share a yard (4 + acres), I don't think they would be happy with dogs that have behavioral issues etc. My mom is a bit scared of big dogs.

I would absolutly die for a macaw!  My daughter is going to be a Zoologist and is in school for that now and we have to small birds!!  So keep us in mind!  haha I am also a traveler so I can drive for pickup!!  I am really kind of kidding but would seriously do about anything for Macaw!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:36 pm »
Lorim2, I will call you today. I have been asked to find a home for a Quaker- nope- not a Macaw, but a neat bird and this one already talks and is sweet- comes complete with a really nice cage- Or any other takers out there?
I had a green wing Macaw for about 10 years and right now I have an African Grey. He will be 19 on August 20 this year. I have had him since he was 3 weeks old. He is one of the meanest darn birds I have ever met in my life-and I am the only one who can pet him, even though I hand fed the feathered ingrate for months... He is a part of the family though and is loved as much and the furry beasts.