Author Topic: SURVEY: What was your Experience like with Gentle Giants Rescue & Adoptions?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
A question has been asked in another message board (Tiergan's ROAR Yahoo Group) by a user named Rustyshacklefo rdjr. 
Here is Rusty's question:

To:  Tiergans_Roar@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Tiergans_Roar] Just curious ? a Poll of sort
Date:  Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:53:38 -0000

How many people on this board has ever stepped foot on the GGR property? How much of these so call testimonials are frabricated to make the story look jucisy? Well, I've been there several times. I got my beautiful princess from GGR almost two years ago. Tracy and Burt have always been there for me if I had any questions or concerns. I have witnessed Tracy down on her knees crying her eyes out because just minutes before we arrived a very sick dog had basiclly been dump on her door step. I have never met a women with such dedication, presurverance and the properbly the most beautiful heart that I"ve ever seen. The grounds at GGR are beautiful and well kept. The inside facilities are well keep. I've seen serveral rooms/areas of the house.

All, I'm saying it to please think before you throw that stone. Propaganda and rumor ruins peoples lives. BYW, The don't have to do this, they are loaded. They both do it becasue of the love they feel for the animals.There, I've sad my say!

Tooles, a HAPPY RESCUER FROM GENTLEGIANTSRE SCUE in Norco, CA. I look forward to the day I can bring home another one of thier angels.

R

What a great question Rusty asked. So, since some of you may not be a member of Tiergan's Roar Yahoo Group, and since Rusty Shackleford's question/poll isn't as detailed as I would like to see … I thought I would also do a similar poll/survey

Here is the link to the Survey:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=875051642986

For those of you that have had an adoption experience with Gentle Giants Rescue, we would love to hear your response.

Sincerely,
Barbara Laird
www.gentlegian tnews.com

Offline Pookie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hello All:

Someone asked how many have actually stepped foot on GGR property. This is important I agree. It is possible that some people might just make up the stories.

I can only speak for myself.

I have been to GGR personally.   
They do handle it all themselves. Burt & Tracy personally told me so.
They do seem to free feed as the food is there all the time. The dogs aren't but the food is in these huge bins.
I did not see anyone cleaning anything up ever in the 9 hours I was there.
Many of the dogs were dirty. OK I understood that. The grounds were not that clean. I was OK with that too. After all..what a great service they provided to dogs everywhere. ... 
Regardless of the red flags I still had rose colored glasses on at the time.

I got two dogs that day. I loved them then and I totally love them now.
They were however very sick.
They were also ALOT  older then TRacy said according to my VET.

Do I still love them? YES!
Do I feel I was swindeled and misled? YES!

I would never ever adopt an animal from them again. It is just a crap shoot as to the health and temprament of the dog.
I was told the Vet records were somehow misplaced that particular day. I believed them. When I e mailed several times to follow up tp get them for my vet, my e mails went unanswered. Never got them.

Our dogs were sick, underweight and one was on her way downhill fast from chronic diahrreah, giardella as well as other infections.

You ask if we been there to see it for ourselves?
I have been there yes. Belive me the reality of it stays with you.
Did I make this up? No.
If this is similar to the other stories then you must decide. It would seem odd that so many have the same details.

It was not easy realizing that we had been "taken." It was heartbreaking actually.

Keep in mind when you ask who has seen the GGR, you are not permitted to just go visit the grounds, unless you go back to adopt another dog. If you want to go look at the place to see if they are on the up & up, forget it. If you want to revisit the dogs before making this important decision to adopt, that is not allowed.
You must make an appointment (OK) but you MUST choose that day. You can not evaluate and think it over, as they call this "Looky Loo" on the website.
Adopting is a commitment 5 to 20 years depending on the breed. It involves money ($600 per dog in my case) and it involves turning over your heart and wallet. They want you to do it only on their terms. 
t is not always the best thing for you nor for the dog. It needs to be a smart carefullt thought out decision.
I personally do not feel the adoption should be done hastily and that sometimes a few return visits might be in order. Since this is not permitted, makes we wonder if there is aomething to hide and if they indeed want the adopter to be a good fit.

I want to ask the readers if any of you have been turned town by GGR?
I know there was no home inspection in my case. I know I live far away, but with the many well meaning volunteers defending them, perhaps someone near me could have checked me out, no?  Just a thought.

Certainly, they say they will stay there with you all night if necessary. They offer you all the time you need to choose, as lomg as it's on their terms after 3 pm till all hours of the night. They don't allow access until well after 3 pm (they ran one hour late for me )
By then most of the day is gone 4 pm and night falls soon after in the winter. I assumed they were busy around the property working up to that time.  I doubt it from the looks of it Burt is not hands on. Maybe Tracy is..But two cannot properly take care of the multitude of dogs arriving there. All that Free Inventory is how I now see it.

So my reply is this:
YES my experience was EXACTLY like the others's.
Draw your own conslusion if you wish to adopt would you go there? 

Offline meemors

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I adopted my dearest St. Bernardo Pumpkin from GGR...and what a stange experience it was indeed.  It had an underlying Hunter-S.-Thompson-Fear-and Loathing-in-LV quality, very surreal.
We arrived at the time she indicated and were made to wait an additional hour until they opened the gates for us, with an edgy, messy-haired lady (who I later found out to be Tracy) darting out occasionally to tell us that we were NOT to get out of our cars.  Let me add that this was with our 9 month old son and slightly over-the-top basset hound.  In addition, the old mercury was hitting somewhere around 95 degrees that day.  I began to wonder how someone who had such a love for dogs would condone us sitting in our cars with our poor panting dogs.  We broke the rules and let the dog get out of the car finally...
What were some of the stranger occurences of our 9-10 hour ordeal?  (And please allow me to remind you that I was trying to nurse my poor little boy through this madness)  Definitely waiting about 30 minutes in between showings of the dogs, covered in flies, sitting in dirty plastic chairs and fighting the need to go "peepee" because did you see the state of the bathroom, ick!! Which, btw, how the heck does that compute to see one dog at a time when there are supposedly 50 available dogs?  Maybe it's just me, but the logic doesn't quite register with me.  And why did Tracy come back after one particularly long absence with her shirt turned inside out and backwards?  That one really had my hubbie looking at me sideways like, Where have you brought me too???  Oh, and if she told me one more time that she breastfed her daughter until she was 4 and did it in (and I quote) "high-powered, corporate boardrooms", I was going to scream.
NEways, after taking home one dog and then returning him two weeks later because we were so desperate after 8 hours of waiting (and there were still adopters waiting when we finally left, those poor people staring at us with resentment because we were allowed to escape the fences) that we just kind of thought he might be the one, I did manage to find the love of my life, Ms. Pumpkin Pie.
Now, yes, she was very sick and underweight when I got her, but I'm sure that with that many dogs passing through their property they must have a heck of a time keeping them healthy.  She was a little expensive for a rescue, at $850.  Apparently that was because she was transported from N CA.  And, yes, the vet info and age were a little hazy...but oh well.
To their credit, I do think they are doing a valuable service and I know they must love the dogs...but that is one crazy show!  My advice to anyone considering the experience?  Try, try, try to make it up there on a weekday.  It will probably save you a lot of hassle and make selecting your new partner in life that much more enjoyable.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
We looked into them in great detail and were horrified by what we found. 

They require a contract be signed stating that you will buy their dog food, 40 bucks for a bag, for the life of the dog, but refused to give any information about the ingredients.  They had dogs advertised on Petfinder that had been gone so long that nobody there remembered them.  They have been cited numerous times by the city of Norco for filth and noise.  They also do not answer their email.

I didn't see this, but a neighbor who went there said she saw a dead dog in their dumpster.

I hope they have been closed down by now.  Horrible, just horrible...
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Kirsti

I've looked into it and was wondering the same things...they really didn't sound credible, and some of the stuff they do with the pups I don't agree with...but I didn't think I knew much about the breeds (though I study a lot when I think I want a breed, or even a breed mix)...I hope those pups find a good decent home somewhere else... 
I hope they get closed down soon....

~K

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
After giving up on GG, we found a fantastic lady who is a breeder of Cane Corsos with an older female who needs a new home.  She will arrive Dec. 10th and we are soooooooo excited!!!  Cody will be thrilled to have a little playmate.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua