Author Topic: Off Topic: Motor Scooters  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Off Topic: Motor Scooters
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:04:12 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a motor scooter to get to and from work to save on gas money. Does anyone else have one of these? Any advice? Do you think they are cheesy??

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Icerotti

Re: Off Topic: Motor Scooters
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:09:01 pm »
Our neighbour has one. He rides it in the summer to work. You would save a lot on gas ;D.   I like them , they are funky looking. If I had the weather to ride one all year long, I would get one. ;)
What colour would you get?

Or you could get one of these  http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/ Roco would look great pulling it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:15:41 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:11:20 pm »
RED, naturally! It's my favorite color. I already have a helmet 'cause hubby used to have a motorcycle. I just don't think I have the ability to drive a motorcycle. I failed stick shift 101 so I don't know if I could get the hand of shifting the motorcycle and scooters are automatic - and a lot cheaper.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:13:21 pm »
Oh red would be nice. ;D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 03:07:23 pm »
Jeanne, how old are you?  And how old are your kids? 

Because, I have to tell you, if your kids are older than 10, it's not fair to them

My mother got a moped for riding back and forth to work when I was in HS, and people in the neighborhood STILL give me and my sibs a hard time about our mother's 'hog.'  :-[

If you get one, you have to PROMISE not to wreck it.  My mother wrecked hers about 3 years after she got it--landed right in the middle of the lawn at the end of the block, with the front wheel of it looking like a PacMan where she hit the curb with it, and had almost 40 STITCHES between her nose and her chin  and her arm, etc., etc. 

Are you sure that the savings in gas money is worth the trauma to your children?   

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:40:35 pm »
Well, GOOD NEWS!! I have NO kids to embarrass. I am (only) 35 and have no plans to wreck it. Your story is hilarious, though!!

I'm trying to decide if my personality is strong enough to withstand the jeering I will get from my biker friends. I think I'd look kinda cool on one, though - especially when I start flashing all the moolah I save from gas money. Do you know these things get 70mpg??

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 04:25:21 pm »
If you have no kids to embarrass, go for it.  Your biker friends will be jealous because your scooter is so cute.

Now if I could just get my mother off the little red scooter she bought to replace the moped...

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:53:41 pm »
But can you get a sidecar for Rocko?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:00:38 pm »
OMG!! Jeanne, go for it!!  It would save so much money on gas and I agree with ya, you'd look AWESOME on a scooter!!  Do you have to have a huge orange flag hangin' off the back?  That's the only downfall to owning one here, you have to have this HUGE gaudy orange flag sticking up off the back of them. ::)   I say do it!!  Then take pics of you and the new scooter so we can all see how cool ya look on it!! ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 05:18:04 pm »
But can you get a sidecar for Rocko?

hahahahahaha! I'm definitely going to have to check into the sidecar option!!  ;D

We don't have to have a huge flag hanging off the back - thank goodness - I'd feel like an 8 year old with training wheels on my bike if I had to have that!

I'm looking at the Honda Elite 80 and the Yamaha Vino 125. The Vino goes faster - up to 55 mph, the Elite only goes up to 48 and there are some streets in town where the speed limit is 50, which means most people go 55 so I don't want to be the one holding up traffic, you know?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:53:56 pm »
I have a scooter that I got when I was young for horse shows and it was awesome. I loved it! It is in my mom's garage collecting dust until I get a new license plate but it was great on gas and was super fun to drive. It still is!  ;D Although it doesn't go very fast (40 mph) I think it is perfect for the streets for quick store runs, etc.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

enuffpaws

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 01:42:47 am »
Jeanne,
Scooters are fun and great on gas. But please remember they are still like a motorcycle. You have to watch everyone, as people in cars will not watch for you as they should. Not trying to scare you, but concern from two who ride all the time. Safety classes are a fantastic idea, and alot of fun too. From one "biker" to another soon-to-be, keep the rubber side down and the shiney side up! ;) ;D
Dale and Stella (GR8DAME)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
Thanks for your concern about my safety everyone. Rest assured, I had every intention of taking a safety/training class before letting myself loose on the roads as I have no idea how to drive the thing. I'll probably ride it around the neighborhood and the school parking lot 'til I get comfortable with it.

I looked at the Metropolitan, too - mostly 'cause it was so cheap, but I'm not sure it will go as fast as I need it to go. Can you ask Charlie about that.

I like the Reflex, too, but those are about $6,000 'cause they are highway legal and that's more than I need.

You guys are getting me really excited. I'm glad to see it's a popular idea.

Jeanne