Author Topic: Welcome Archies Dad  (Read 6939 times)

Offline archies dad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Welcome Archies Dad
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:54:27 pm »
About 8 years ago, after being 'dogless' for a number of years, I made a stop at the New Milford, CT humane society.  I'd been looking for a golden retriever. In the first kennel  I came to I saw an enormous pure black dog looking at me.  I stopped to look at him and I stuck my fingers through the chain-link.  The dog walked over to me and leaned against my fingers.  It was instaneous, mutual love between us.  After a few more visits 'Archie' came home with me.  As it turns out, Archie was a Golden/Newfie mix who'd either been abandoned by his first family or who'd wandered away and ended up at the pound.

After having border collies, cockers, shi tzus, and a miniature schnauzer, I have to say that Archie topped them all - literally. He was always happy and always broken hearted when I had to leave him home.  He soon became our best friend - my son's and mine.

He shed to 'beat the band' leaving hair blowing across the kitchen floor like tumbleweeds.  He was scared of the wind which seemed odd since it seemed that he was large enough to have scared the wind instead.  My niece is wheelchair-bound with cerebral palsey and a host of other difficulties.  Archie never complained when she pulled his long, black fur.  He was gentle to a fault with everyone.  I do have to say, though, that there were a few dogs that he didn't get along with.  He got along very well with our corgi and the cat.

A couple of years ago Archie developed a lump on his side which turned out to be a cancerous mast cell tumor.  It was removed and soon he was back to 'his old self'.  The vet told me that it was a case of not 'if' but 'when' his cancer  would return.

Over the past couple of months Archie, now with a lot of gray hair (like me)began to slow down a bit.  He could still pull my shoulder out of joint on our walks but, after a 1/2 a mile or so, he'd let up a bit.  A week ago he developed an intermittent bloody nose along with what seemed to be a slight weakness in his hind legs.  I took him in to see the vet and, along with blood tests, he was given a general physical.  The test results showed that he had an infection of some sort so he was put on antibiotics. 

He had his first dose with his dinner this past Tuesday.  Around 10 o'clock I took him out to take care of business and he lay down in the driveway.  It took some coaxing to get him back in the house where, when I did get him in, he quickly lay down on the cellar floor.  He seemed to be exhausted. I sat with him until nearly midnight and left him  and went to bed.  Around 4:00AM I returned to the cellar and Archie looked up at me but he seemed to have lost his spark.  I went back up stairs to make a cup of coffee.  When I returned 5 minutes later poor old Archie was dead.  My wife was traveling on business and the kids are off in college and now, with Archie gone, I was truly alone.  I sat with him on the floor for the longest time and, as the sun began to come up I brought him out to the field out back, dug his grave and buried him.  He was truly the most loving, trusting friend that I've ever had.  After a week the tears still flow freely, catching me off guard. 

I'd much prefer to have the slobber on my pant legs and the hair drifting across the floor and his chin resting on the dinner table as he inquired, "what's for dinner?"

The vet speculated that he'd suffered a heart attack and there wasn't much that could be done for him in the end.  We lucky to have had this gentle giant as a huge part of our life for the 8 years that we had him.  (We figure that he was 3 - 4 years old when we got him and, according to the vet, 11 - 12 years old was pretty old for a large breed.)
He was the most marvelous dog that ever crossed our threshold.  I would advise anyone with thoughts of owning a newfie, newfie/mix that they could never do better.

We'll always miss him

(moved by a mod so that archie can have his own thread)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:14:13 pm by shangrila »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Archies Dad
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:16:24 pm »
Hello Archies Dad. Welcome to BPO! You will find a lot of comfort and companionship here so that you will never have to feel alone again in your grief. Here you can find a shoulder to cry on, stories to make you smile, and someone to empathize with.

RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:25:27 pm »
Archie sounds like a wonderful boy.  Welcome to BPO and I'm very sorry for your loss. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:35:25 pm »
I'm sooo sorry to hear about Archie but it sounds like he had a good life with you and your family.  I hope you find some comfort in BPO.
Erin
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:38:54 pm »
Oh ,I am so sorry for your loss  :'( Archie sounded like a wonderful dog and I'm so glad he got rescued by you !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:30:25 am »
  I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your story is a wonderful tribute to Archie. It sounds like you were very lucky to find each other and that you gave him a long happy life.
 Welcome to BPO.

Kirsti

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:26:24 am »
I'm sorry about your loss Archie sounds like he was a wonderful boy! Welcome to BPO!

~K

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 07:39:02 am »
Hugs to you Archies Dad.  :'(  I agree with jacksmom -- give yourself plenty of time to grieve your wonderful friend. You both deserve it. I think you found BPO at just the right time - this is a GREAT place, in good times and bad. Welcome. :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:47:32 am »
I am so very sorry for your loss.  He sounds like a wonderful dog.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline archies dad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »
A picture of the old boy

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 07:07:19 pm »
What an incredibly touching tribute to your pal Archie.  The love we share with our four legged friends is like no other.  Welcome to BPO, it is obvious that you will fit right in here. 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 07:14:06 pm »
that brought tears to my eyes  :'(  i'm so sorry you lost your best friend, i can't imagine what that must feel like, and honestly think i'm going to die the day my boys pass.  i sure hope you find some comfort in memories, and as always we're always here!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

marypyrs

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 07:20:40 pm »
I am so very sorry for your loss. Words just can not express how I feel. But you have found the right place to come here at BPO.

No one will ever replace your lovely Archie. But with this beautiful tribute you have given him, he will also be in all our hearts as well. Truely, I am touched. And reading between the lines, I feel that you will eventually give your heart and soul to another down the line.

God Bless You. And Archie. Waiting at The Bridge. And running with the others whom we love so dearly.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:50:12 am »
Hello Archie's Dad.  Thank you for the story about your sweet boy and I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm Misty and I belong to Gracie a 10 month old English Mastiff.  Archie's story brought me to tears and I thank you for sharing.  RIP sweet Archie.   
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 10:57:19 am »
I am very sorry for your loss! :'( But, you couldn't have come to a better place to help subside some of your grief!!

Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP