Author Topic: has anyone owned a...  (Read 3824 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
has anyone owned a...
« on: December 24, 2006, 05:42:54 am »
wold hybrid?  i saw the one post and was curious about their size, etc.  just wanted to know if anyone had owned one before!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone owned a...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 07:09:11 am »
I have. Her name was Hannah, she was a wolf/german shepherd mix. She was about 80 lbs, so not very big.

"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 07:50:17 am »
was she unpredictable, or how was her temperment?  i've read that most people don't trust their's enough to bring them into public??
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 09:06:32 am »
Well Hannah came from a bad line. Infact her whole litter and mother were all euthanized because of bad temperments. I'm not saying all wolfdog mixes are like her, but she did come from a BYB who just bred the father to her mother. Infact most of the  GSDs in my town came from the breeder and have all turned aggressive by the time they were two and can't be trusted with strangers. We had a purebred male from the same breeder and he  was not at all trustworthy around kids or strangers. And a groomer friend of my mom has 2 from the breeder and while they are still young she heard about what happened to the other dogs from this breeder and is extra careful about them.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 09:34:12 am »
With wolfdogs, it really depends on the lines, also what they are mixed with. I have met 2 in person, one is very timid around people until he gets to know them then once he knows you, you are covered in kisses galore. The only bad thing with him, is in order for him to come to you he has to be alpha and you have to be sitting down. He is roughly 98% wolf I believe 2 different mixes and a small amount of malamute. One that I know is not very good, but was also not socialized when she was younger so she has her own time with her owner and no one else. On the size, both that I know are over 80 lbs.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 10:34:41 am »
thanks for all your input!  i always saw ads for them for sale in mississippi, but never knew what they were like in general.  thanks!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 10:38:55 pm »
I am backing Dahlie on this one. I have been personally involved with 2 full blooded wolves and they are not domesticated, at all. These pups were raised by humans from the time that they were born. They were bred for the wrong reasons and the person who purchased them also purchased them for the wrong reasons. Long story- but the person who purchased them also had other exotic animals, all in the persuit to profit financially from the ownership.
A true wolf, can not be house trained, they will also prefer to live in a pack. They have hooked teeth and have no qualms about nipping. They are constantly looking to hunt, even if they are fed, because in the wild, they are always looking for food since in the wild they do not know when or where they will have thier next meal.
Cross all of those wild traits with a domesticated dog, good luck, you may be lucky and get one that has the look of the wolve but the temperment of the domesticated animal. I wouldnt want to take that chance, especially knowing that if you get one of the "wild" ones, it could actually severly injure someone in its life time.
One other thing to consider. It is illegal to own a wolf or a wolf hybrid in the State of Texas. Other states may also have a law similiar to this. The only exception is a sanctuary. I have known cases where DNA tests have been ordered and the animal seized and placed in a sanctuary, once it was determined that it was a hybrid. I love the spirit of the wolve, but it is best in the wild not being bred to a domestic dog. If you can, visit a sanctuary. The sanctuary owners can really show you all of the good and the bad with these poor mixed up animals.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 11:34:47 pm »
to the both of you, the post was to see the pros and cons, not to make them look angelic!  thanks for the pros about them, i've never met one, so i was curious about them!  it's all about knowing!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 10:02:58 am »
Well Keela might have a little wolf in her. The people we got her momma from weren't sure if her momma was the one with the wolf in her or if the other momma was...stupid people.

Arisha would regurgitate for her pups when they were old enough but we don't know if it's inherited or if she learned it from the momma that had wolf in her.

I've meet a wonderful wolf/malamute cross Keeper, when I worked at the kennel. He was AWESOME and huge!!! His only bad habit that I knew of was marking inside where other dogs had been.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 10:07:45 am »
that's a neat comment about her regurgitating, i wonder if that is leaned AND genetic, or just learned...  i'll look into that!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 04:23:12 am »
I know it is illegal in certain parts of NC to own a wolf dog and if it were to escape, they are euthanized no questions asked. I personally am not dominant to own a wolf dog but do love my mals, but will want to visit Full Moon Rescue and interact with them.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 05:21:17 am »
Some people will also post a dog as a wolf hybrid just to get the puppies sold.  Some people will list huskies or malamutes as such.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 09:05:26 am »
does anyone know why the mixes cannot have rabies shots??  i think that's the biggest concern on if they escape, is they cannot receive them.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)