Author Topic: Don't dogs WANT to be with their owners???  (Read 5826 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Don't dogs WANT to be with their owners???
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:34:37 pm »
Stella, we sleep in a king size waterbed and I was very concerned about waking up in a lake with my springers.  Then we got the cats and John is a kneader.  I watched him almost shred a sheet one night.  We went and bought a pillow top cover which encases our waterbed mattress.  Now I don't worry about the cats or dogs getting in bed, even with these big guys.  Jake will occassionally growl at Joe, when he rolls him over in the morning when he gets home from work, to go to bed.  It is more of a "You're disturbing me." type growl, as he doesn't even pick his head up.  The trainer we had with Max told us not to allow him in bed, not for dominance issues, but to eliminate him getting protective of it, in case we divorced or one of us died.  The other might have a hard time inviting a stranger into the bed, without him having something to say about it.  Needless to say, we both called him into bed that very night.  LOL
Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 12:51:13 am »
I am suddenly feeling very lonely with only one POOCH!!! :D
I have been asking my husband to get Kana a play friend...he has been hesitant.  I guess it's grad school and 2 jobs, plus real life that has him second guessing it!!  But, I really feel left out with my bed SO empty!  I need a few more fur friends and then I wouldn't even notice Kana in the garage overnight!! ;D ;D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 01:16:17 am »
We also have a waterbed. When Zoey was younger she put a toe nail thru the bed, she and I woke up wet, Zoey now refuses to sleep on the bed now- I think that she still holds me responsible and is convinced that I was trying to drown her. We have purchased one of the pillow top mattress covers for our bed an no longer worry about them puncturing the mattress. Last nite Tugs decided that he needed in on the fun and so it was Bella, Bailey and Tugs. Also I can usually get them off the bed fairly easy when I need to by asking who wants to go out side- By the time they get to the front door and realize I wasnt letting them out- I have claimed my spot, my blankies and my pillow.
The past 2 days I have come home and my down comforter and pillow have been pulled off of my bed- I think that it is Annie. Tonight we are going to get into the low 20's, it will probably be a 3 dog nite for me.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 04:35:50 am »
We have a waterbed also. As long as it is covered it is not a problem. Several years ago when I took the cover off to wash it and left the room for maybe 15 minutes the cat tore the waterbed matress to shreds, water pored out everywhere, through the floor, into the basement etc. And the cat had all 4 claws declawed before this, so he had to do it all with his teeth. We replaced the waterbed and never left it uncovered again. The cat continued to sleep with us, dogs too and we've never had another problem.  They do sleep in the bed if they want and they do know who is in charge most of the time