Author Topic: How many people have multiple dogs and young kids  (Read 4560 times)

BabsT

How many people have multiple dogs and young kids
« on: July 18, 2005, 10:05:18 am »
Right now I own a 8 month CAO and want to get another one...Curious what it is l ike owning multiple dogs and young kids

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How many people have multiple dogs and young kids
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 10:15:46 am »
I have two dogs, Apollo (my big baby) and Zeus, who is a medium size but you'll never convince him of it.

My sons are 8 and 6. They love having the boy-os (dogs) in their lives. I don't think you could seperate them for anything. I think having the two pups helps, as then the kids don't feel the need to "compete" for a single dog's attention. (They're boys, everything's a competition!) My eldest loves to hang out and explore the woods with Apollo, and my youngest lives to throw the ball for Zeus to chase. They naturally picked out their own pecking order.

We also have two cats, they love the kids as well. Stitch thinks he's just another dog, so his mannerisms are the same as the boy-os. Mysti disdains us all, and allows us into her universe only to worship her.  ::)

We're actually contemplating adding another fur-kid this winter. The two boys want to enter 4-H next year, so we're tossing about adding another pup, or a goat. (My husband's praying that a goat will eat the blackberry bushes that are invading!) 4-H recognizes all manner of critters for their programs, so in the end, we'll probably let the kids decide.

I heartly encourage you to add another pup to your home. The kids will love the cuteness of the puppy stage, and the dog can grow with your children, giving them a bond that will last all their lives.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:39:41 am »
Thanks for the response...Rig ht now I have a 7 year old and my hubby and I are considering adding more children.  I would like to get another pup this winter of the same breed but female.  Zero was so easy to train, he was 110% full run of the house by 4 mnths old but I am not sure if I should have a baby and then wait a year or get the puppy and have the baby 6 months later. LOL

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 03:21:50 pm »
I have 3 dogs, The Dane, the Chinook and a Setter.  I don't have any kids right now but we watch our godkids (4 year old twins) for a few weeks a few times a year.  Everyone loves everyone else, and luckily all of our dogs are natural mothers (Especially the boys!).  I mean you still can't leave them alone, for the dogs sake.

I remember a little girl I used to baby sit for, they had a German shepherd, the OLD German long haired lines, gorgeous gorgeous dog.  Well I came to sit one night and Marenna had no tail!  I asked what had happened and the mother had left them alone, because she always bragged about how she could trust her dog, and that the dog was her babysitter.  Anyways the baby bit the dog's tail, and GNAWED THROUGH IT!  The dog's beautiful plumy tail was gone.  I was so sad.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 03:50:24 pm »
We have three kids and three dogs (how sad that sounds) I have always had big dogs, so when the kids came along, they had to adapt to a life with big dogs with hard tails (when Malin was little and we had danes) I heard things like "are you going to keep those big dogs now when you get a baby" yhaaaaaaa..... ... duhhh. The danes were super good with the babies and the human kids had to grow up knowing that animals are no toys and you can not pull ears or tails or lips, so today I see that my children have a much greater respect for animals than a lot of other kids that has grown up without any pet (or like my sil, who let her kids treat the pets as if were they nothing worth)

Jennifer is 5 now and love our dogs, and they love her. all the kids here could not think of living without all our animals and I think it teaches them respect and responsibility . I have nothing bad or negative to say at all about having multiple dogs and multiple kids of any age in the same home.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 04:54:46 pm »
I have raised two kids, Nick (boy) is now 17 and Casey (girl) is 11 and have always had at least two dogs, sometimes three. Nick was an only child until we moved into a house when he was 3, then got the dogs, then Casey came along. Started out with dobermans when the kids were toddlers, and have added danes in the last four years. Although some of my dogs were better with the kids, more gentle than playful and careful of their size than others, I never have had a problem. The kids of course, have brought tons of friends over for play dates, overnights and such, and that is when I watch extra well, until the friends learn the way to be around my bigguns. I agree with Marit, the dogs adapt to the kids, and the kids adapt to the dogs, and both take their cues on acceptable behavior from you.
Stella

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 06:46:48 pm »
YES TWO CHIHUAHUAS AND A BOXER ,  Dan dixie, dewy
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 07:00:46 pm »
I currently have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a rabbit. Also the farm animals. My sons Chris and Tyler have always had dogs and various other pets. Husband says if it doesn't eat and s--t I don't want any part of it. LOL.. Tyler is still at home he is 10 years old. Chris is away in college( Nebraska Corn Husker). First thing Chris did when he got settled in a house was adopt a black Lab.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?