Author Topic: NAMES  (Read 6597 times)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
NAMES
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:02:06 am »
We are planning on getting another dog soon... but we can't decide on a name. I know you have to see the dog and know the personality before you name him, but I want a couple of backups  ;)

I absolutely LOVE the name Sydney, but my mom doesn't like it because it can't really be shortend... so, if you have any suggestions for female names, please respond!!!

Thanks   ;D

-Samson's Owner
  "The more boys I meet the more I like dogs..."
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

lins_saving_grace

Re: NAMES
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:05:00 am »
I named Grace before I got her!

Another Lab?

1.) scarlet
2.) Mandy
3.) Olive
4.) Rose(y)
5.) Ginger

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:14:03 am »
What does she mean it can't be shortened? How about "Syd". Say the following like you were talking to the dog (a.k.a. baby talk)
"Whatcha doing Sydney? How's my Sydney-Syd-Syd. You're so Syd-alicious!"

Works for me!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:14:51 am »
Sydney is cute.  Grace was almost a Sydney.

Offline Jenn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 07:36:30 pm »
A couple suggestions:
1. Griffin
2. Shay
3. Cleo

Offline daynakb

• Gnawer
  • This is Klaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:08:19 am »
Female names?  My only female dog is my min pin and her name is Lily.  She got her name because she was the runt and fit in my hand at the time we got her.  She was my little delicate flower - hence Lily.  She made friends with the dog two doors down from us who happened to be a Rottweiler named Rose (they loved to run the fence together).  Then those same neighbors got a yellow lab named Daisy.  With my dog they had their own little garden!

I've always thought if I ever got another female I would name her Iris.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 07:35:24 am »
I always like to get unusual names too.  Try taking a name you like and spelling it backwards (I had a kitten named Ybara, which is Araby backwards), or pick a language (I pick Gaelic because I'm Irish) and go to an online dictionary.  Pick a word that describes your dog and use that word for a name ie "Wild" is Allta, or "Sweet" is Cumrah.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:32:44 pm »
Thanks so much!!!

I really like the names you suggested... especially Ginger, Daisy, and Lily   :D

Maybe my mom will come around and I'll be able to name my pup Sydney  ;D

If you have any more suggestions, please post!!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:43:29 pm »
my sister is cydney...spell led different of course.

My female pom - Irie - jamacian for everything is good

My dane  Willow Sidhe (willow is my favorite tree and she is going to be as big as a willow.  And sidhe means fairy.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:14 pm »
Tulsa was named at the Shelter that I rescued her from. So city names would work.
I like Daphne, Oleander, Sweet Pea. Or Boston, I knew a Gordon Setter named Oakland, he was black and silver!
Saw a dog on petfinders.com named Phoebe Buffay!
There are lots of options.
If you're stuck on Sydney, that works!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 02:36:04 pm »
Thanks!

The only reason I don't like Sydney is because I don't care for the name "Syd"... doesn't seem very feminine  :P And my mom says the dog might get confused because it's very similar to "sit"

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 05:31:08 pm »
Don't worry about the sounding like the command thing.  Hobo, who we also call "Bo", def knows the difference between his name (Good things) and No (Bad things)

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 03:36:10 pm »
I love to help but I've been told I'm not good with names. Lets see I've had Toester-my Dane, Thor-Dane, Krayzie (crazy)-a bosont terrier, Stinky and Dribbles-Lab mixes, Tiny-Dane mix, Snowball-a black lab mix, I could go on and on I've had so many dogs but names are just mot my thing.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 10:42:47 pm »
I think you have to meet the dog before you know who he or she is....Samson was supposed to be "Bullwinkle" but when we met him we knew he was no Bullwinkle at all!

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 10:41:04 am »
Haha, cute Dane names Lesli  ;)

Thanks!! Keep up the postings!!

;D