Author Topic: Chester is a TRUE Newf!  (Read 7329 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Chester is a TRUE Newf!
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:08:00 am »

Since we've been at the lake, Chester and Cowboy go swimming a couple of times a day just to cool off.  I finally have been able to get both of them in my canoe (to the neighbor's hysterical laughing!!) to go along the shoreline (more on that episode later) and have wondered what was going to happen when Chester's antics would flip us all in to the lake.

Today I got the brilliant idea to jump off the end of the dock to see what dog would come in after me (since Cowboy and Chester are both Newfs, I was sure they'd both come).  Well, WRONG!!  Neither came.  They both stood and watched me swim away.

AH HAH!  Chester remembered that he IS a Newfoundland and he's supposed to save people who are in the water.  And his person who adores him and fixes his favorite breakfast and dinner was in the water!  And swimming away!  Chester sped up the dock, along the rocks (think Superman with cape flying), on to the beach and swam furiously out to me.  Of course, by this time, my swimming is slowing considerably (he was RUNNING not FLYING, for heaven's sake!) but I had just enough strength to turn him back toward the beach and hold on to his coat....AND HE SAVED ME!!  He actually pulled me back in to the beach!  YEA!! He IS a full blooded Newfie!!

.....and Cowboy would really, really miss me.  He was still sitting on the end of the dock.  Oh, well.....at least he's really, really cute!
 *****sigh*******

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Chester is a TRUE Newf!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:38 am »
Oh my!  Yay Chester!  (and also, Yay Cowboy, just for being such a cute sweetie!) :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:13:40 am »
Oh that is hysterical!
Way to go Chester - you saved your mama!Soooo proud of you!
And I am sure Cowboy was preparing himself to take the second half of the rescue... to wake his tired mama and brother with lots of kisses!  :)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:20:34 am »
What a cute story!!!  LOL!  My Labs always seemed to think that clawing you to death while swimming would save you.  Lifeguards they were not!!!
Daphne

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:26:17 am »
We were at a friend's pool who has a Newfie.  Oddly, he only found it necessary to try to save my daughter and would not leave her alone......   yipping, crying, barking, trying to grab her arms when she got close enough to him.  He worked from the pools edge.

As far as the rest of us, let 'em drown!!  He was absolutely hilarious.  I have to try to get her to join us.

Krista

Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:10:10 am »
HA! MARI! That is a GREAT story! Hysterical! I can just see the wheels turning in Chester's head. Gosh, I can't wait for my Newf...

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:20:42 am »
The visual of that had me on ROTFLMAO.... ;D

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:44:21 am »
way to go big boy.....we are so proud!
NICKI

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Good job chester :)
RIP former BPO

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:33:44 pm »
What a hero!  Maybe if Cowboy sees the extra treats that Chester gets tonight..... hehehe
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 12:41:28 pm »
That is so awesome!  I wanted another puppy and was going to lean toward a little paw rather than a GIANT Paw but your Chester story has rekindled my love of Newfies tremendously! 
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 12:55:49 pm »
YAY Chester! The tow back must have been fun :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 01:00:15 pm »
Way to go Chester!...That is seriously cool!...& Cowboy, lets not sell him short, he knows that with all water sports it is safe to have a watcher! :D

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 01:18:47 pm »
Great Story.  Chester is quite the hero while Cowboy has management written all over him.  Maybe he's Chester's agent and expects 10% of any treat dispensed tonight.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 03:11:41 pm »
OMG Mair! Chester is the cutest thing in the entire world! I can't wait to see him and Cowboy again.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.