Pit Bulls > Pit Bull Discussions & Pictures

Judge orders 2 dogs be euthanized for barking

(1/3) > >>

ZooCrew:
Ridiculous!!  >:(  >:(

http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=147061

Talk about being proactive..... ........puttin g a dog to sleep for barking at someone?

CadillacQueen:
I have a mixed opinion on this one.

If I was out for a nice ride, and was suddenly threatened and was consistently threatened for over 10 minutes by two dogs acting aggressively towards me, I wouldn't be willing to just 'let the matter go'.
Obviously they have threatened an intent to be violent, and that has to be rectified in some way.

I would setter for a court order on muzzling the dogs when outside family property, not death.

My dog Shanty has growled at my daughter before, so I know that any dog can show a display of violence, no matter how sweet and cute.

The thing is, the judge obviously thought that this was the beginning of a show of violent behavoir.
A THREAT to attack must be taken the same way as an ACTUAL attack, or next time they're out without their owners controlling them won't be so lucky.

Note, before the flame-war begins, I have not stated that it is right for them to die.
a tough restraining order on the dogs would be sufficient for me. Restraining order, as in order that they must be fully restrained from a situation in which they might conceivably attack a stranger.

ZooCrew:
Actually it never said they acted aggressively.  It said that the man felt threatened.  I have to ask........... ..would he have felt threatened if it were another breed that had approached him?  That is my main concern with the ruling.  Say it were 2 german shepherd, do you think the judge would have come to the same ruling?

Viking Lady:
I think their reputation does do damage to them. I was scared to death of them, having never met one, just based on what I had seen on TV and hearing stories about them. Then a friend of ours had one that is one of the sweetest dogs in the world. I did the same thing with Dobermans because I had only seen them as guard dogs. I think the judge's decision is rather drastic but I agree that there needs to be some assurance that nothing is going to happen. I just don't know what that would be since they had gotten out of their pens. You can't muzzle them if they sneak out.

Rajas Mom:

--- Quote from: Viking Lady on January 07, 2009, 04:50:28 pm ---I think their reputation does do damage to them. I was scared to death of them, having never met one, just based on what I had seen on TV and hearing stories about them. Then a friend of ours had one that is one of the sweetest dogs in the world. I did the same thing with Dobermans because I had only seen them as guard dogs. I think the judge's decision is rather drastic but I agree that there needs to be some assurance that nothing is going to happen. I just don't know what that would be since they had gotten out of their pens. You can't muzzle them if they sneak out.

--- End quote ---

I know some of the sweetest pitt-bulls in the world, and have no fear of those individual dogs when I'm around them.  At the same time, I see one walking down the street and I am much more anxious than I would be if it were a lab.  Far too many of the wrong people have and improperly care for and train this breed. 

I think it is terrible for dogs with no prior complaints who have not harmed anyone to be "proactively" put down.  Should the owners better contain their dogs and be fined and given a severe warning of future consequences, yes! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version