Author Topic: Outdoor to Indoor Dog & Territorial marking  (Read 2866 times)

Offline littleprincess

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Outdoor to Indoor Dog & Territorial marking
« on: June 08, 2005, 10:29:51 am »
Hi. I have a 5 1/2 month old Black Lab and I also take care of my mom's  5 1/2 month old Great Dane, which she impulsively bought. :-X. The lab has been with us for more than three months and the dane 1 1/2 months.

I have always wanted my dogs to stay indoors, but for my mom, never liked the idea of sharing her home with a dog.  So, my mom and I made a compromise and Pele (my dog) was allowed to stay just at our enclosed porch for more than a month.   During my break, I was able to successful train him to potty at our garden.  But, after my mom bought her great dane, Scooby, the lab started with the Territorial Marking.  The Dane, not being housetrained, constantly had accidents inside the room.  The lab also followed suit, peeing/ pooing beside where the Dane peed.  After a few days, my mom decided that they should just stay outdoors at their dog house.   The territorial marking continued.  The lab has kept terrorizing the dane not to pee at the garden.  With no choice, the dane developed a bad habit of eliminating anywhere but the grass.  Yes, pavement & tiles etc. Worst of all, the lab is now eliminating everywhere.

I’m thinking of trying to make them again into indoor dogs, because since, they stayed outdoors, the dane has had an eye infection and lot of cuts.  The lab contracted amobeasis and worms.   Do you think it’s still possible to train them indoors; counting the fact that they have already established bad habits?  I’m a new big dog owner and currently studying, what should be my approach?  Hope someone can help me.  Thanks.

GR8DAME

Re: Outdoor to Indoor Dog & Territorial marking
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:38:24 am »
Great danes, despite their size do not do well as outside dogs in general, glad to hear that you are bringing him in. Rescues housebreak dogs of all ages, it just may take a little longer, and a little more patience on your part. At 5 1/2 months he should pick it up easier than an adult. It took me about a year to housebreak my doberman rescue at 16 months old. Give a thought to crate training to make the process easier on you and the dane.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:53:05 am »
Great looking bunch you have there!  I agree with GR8DAME about the crate training.  That's the only method I would use and it gives the dogs a place of their own.  I'm glad you are bringing them inside and hope that when your mom sees how nice it is to have a house broken family she will enjoy then inside too.  Good Luck to you!

Nats

Offline littleprincess

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:05:56 pm »
Thanks for your advice. :)  I'll probably buy a crate during the weekend, but will only buy one due to budget constraints. So, I guess it will be the lab, which will be the first one to stay indoors.  I’m really hoping that my mom realizes that it’s better to have her dane inside and buy the other dog a crate as well.    :)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:16:14 pm »
Thanks for your advice. :)  I'll probably buy a crate during the weekend, but will only buy one due to budget constraints. So, I guess it will be the lab, which will be the first one to stay indoors.  I’m really hoping that my mom realizes that it’s better to have her dane inside and buy the other dog a crate as well.    :)
What cuties!  I too agree that crate training could be the way for you to go.  I am sure you probably know this, but make sure that you do not get a crate that is too large.  Look for one that (when the dog is full grown) will give him just enough room to stand up in, turn around in, and lay down in.  Sometimes bigger is better, but not in this case!   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*