Author Topic: Any tips on how to keep my 10wk old pyr. from nipping my kids??  (Read 3099 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I have a 4 1/2 yr old and a 8 yr old and Phoebe just goes right for them as soon as they try to play with her they try to be firm with her but she aint buying it. they really want to pet her and love her but her nipping makes it hard I intervene and she stops she does'nt do it with me.  We have alot of kids in the neighborhood that come and want to see her how can I keep her undercontrol at this age, What should I do? She will soon be bigger than them I need to get this under control.   
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on how to keep my 10wk old pyr. from nipping my kids??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:49:36 pm »
Tell your children NOT to play with her as soon as she starts her nipping game. They can say loud "ouch" and have to ignore her until she stops. She will learn pretty fast not to do it if she wants to play  ;)
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:54:11 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:41:32 pm »
Check out these links on bite inhibitian from Dr. Ian Dunbar.  Holly has posted them in the past and they are REALLY excellent:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

http://www.siriuspup.com/behavior_problems.html#

I agree!  If you do nothing else, study Ian Dunbar's guidance on developing good bite inhibition.  He says it is the number one, most critical thing to teach a young dog and what so many mess up.

The key is not to punish the dog every time she nips or uses her mouth....the goal is to get her to learn the strength of her mouth and how to properly use it. She needs to learns that she doesn't use teeth on human skin, but can on toys and to a lesser extent, other dogs during play.  This is an acquired skill that comes from developing bite inhibition carefully and positively.

Youngs kids and puppies are a dangerous mix. You will have greater success training your kids, then the puppy.  Your kids understand english.  If they get exciteable, raise their voices, move quickly - all play signals for the puppy and she will want to nip.  They need to be calm and assertive - and if the puppy nips, scream ouch and turn their back on her - game over for 3 minutes. If it happens again, just keep screaming ouch and ending the game...she'll learn.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:25:31 pm »
^ i agree with all the above. thats how we tought Chloe about playing. anytime she nipped, i let out a screatch, not an "ouch" but a puppy "hey you hurt me" screatch. then play stopped. she learned right quick!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:58:42 pm »
Ditto two points--train the kids first, and holler OW and break off contact with the pup. No eye contact especially.

We use that on our dogs and people are amazed that I can let them stick their hands in our dogs' mouths and there is no biting.  It also makes it easier to inspect and brush their teeth if they know not to bite.

If a pup is biting a person and won't let go right away, depending on the dog, I sometimes put a bit of their upper muzzle over one of their teeth and push a little bit.  This confuses them enough that they let go.

We are working on the no biting thing with the new rescued little paw, Squeakers the Chihuahua.  Those little teeth are SHARP!
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua