Author Topic: I love my dog but...  (Read 4592 times)

Offline bunim

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I love my dog but...
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:26:50 pm »
I have a wonderful 6 yr old male rottie. Very very social to both people, cats and other dogs. The issue I have with him is that whenever I take him out and run into a store, I tie him up and within 30sec he usually starts crying and barking. Same thing happens when I have guests over and put the gate up to keep him out the room. He will cry and bark unitl they leave. Never is this done with aggession it's more like a spoiled brat throwing a fit.  Is it to late to correct this behavior, if not what can we do?

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: I love my dog but...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 01:37:16 pm »
I baby gate mine out of certain rooms at times, and the kitchen (cat's "safe" room)all the time (they could step over it, but for some reason respect it). 
I take the child-rearing approach to it when they 'fuss', which is to ignore it.  They usually will stop on their own in a few minutes when they realize that it isn't accomplishing anything.  The thing is to not react or give attention to the behvior, which is what they are looking to get. 
Mine are younger (1.5, 1.5 and 4 y/o) so if this is deeply entrenched behavior, it may not be so simple.  If you have crate-trainer your Rotti, you could try crating him, rather than gating him out of the room.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline bunim

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:34:04 pm »
Thank You both for your advice. I'll let you know how we do.
I have another question-  If he( the dog) is unhappy with me for example if I have to go out and don't take him with me he will go in the house. Even after he's done his business out in the yard. Time is not a factor. He could have just gone when I leave. 5 mins to 5 hours it does not matter when I come home I have to clean up. This has been going on for years. The catch is he only does this to me not to my mother who also lives with us. Help!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 04:36:54 pm »
what does he sleep in...or does he run free?

Offline bunim

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:46:42 pm »
He runs free.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 04:50:21 pm »
He runs free.
I would suspect that if you crated him while you were gone that he wouldn't make messes in the house.  I've had dogs that run free and Lady and Grace were the first ones I crate trained.  The puppy mess was to be expected...the y don't do it now...they wouldn't want to mess in their beds. 
You think you could crate train him at this age?  or confine him to a mess-ok space in the basement...lik e on a cement floor with pillows for him to lay on?   Some dogs really need to have their boundaries made for them or they tend to think they can do what they please.

Offline bunim

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 05:10:39 pm »
To crate him now would be hard I think. When he was a puppy I did crate him but he cried all day. I would get calls from my neighbors about his crying and had to stop. There are times when I travel a lot for work and it is just my mom and the dog, he does not do it when I'm not around.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 05:22:31 pm »
To crate him now would be hard I think. When he was a puppy I did crate him but he cried all day. I would get calls from my neighbors about his crying and had to stop. There are times when I travel a lot for work and it is just my mom and the dog, he does not do it when I'm not around.
maybe confining him with baby gates into a particular room or space would be your best bet then.  Structure is good for some dogs.
the crying i know is hard to deal with.  I still deal with it to a point at home with little Grace.  6 of one half a dozen of another.  Have to talked to your vet?  Some vets have great solutions for big problems and "behavioral" issues.   I've had dogs that make messes in the house out of spite...but Rotts aren't really spiteful dogs.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:26:10 pm »
Boy does he have you trained  ;).  I have taught my large dane to be crated just 2 weeks ago.  She cries about it for 20 or so min now (it was real long before), but I don't let her out and she gets NO attention while in-I don't even look at her for now.  She has her toys and a nice bone that is just for her when she goes in.  After a while you'll hear her lay down, sigh, and then start on her bone.  I crate her when I leave the house (I don't leave often as I homeschool my kids, so we are here a lot, but I still go out at times) and she bites and paws at the door and trim so to keep her from damaging the house or hurting herself with wood splinters I crate her.  I crate her when people come over-she's big and they sometimes let my other dog in unknowingly and she's not real keen on him yet so...I crate to prevent incidents.  She gets crated sometimes, just to hang out or when I'm vacuuming-which she's afraid of.  I try to make the crating pleasant for her, although she fusses about it, but she's still a dog and it needs to be done for her and others safety.   It can be taught, but you've got to be consistent and strong about it.  Otherwise it's like having a 3 yr old throw a tantrum and always winning because we can't stand to see them so upset... ;)  I have kids so I know that one well, but I've learned my lesson.  Good luck!
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline bunim

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 05:40:42 pm »
We do the baby gates. He is a big baby and Yes he has trained us on some levels.
How can or what should I do to correct the relationship he and I have. The crying and going in the house only happen when I'm around.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 10:05:10 am »
It sounds like your pup needs a refresher course on who's in charge.  You say that he doesn't behave the same way when your mom handles him, so it sounds like he accepts her in an alpha role.  It does not sound like he accepts you that way, however.  How does she behave around/handle the dog that is different from the the way that you do?

That may be a good place to start.  Any dog will push the boundaries if it thinks that it can.  If your dog thinks that he can push you around because you are not as firm as 'grandma' he definitely will do so. 

Obedience lessons, if he's not already been through them (and even if he has) may be a good experience to share with him.  Find the right instructor and it will be a great bonding experience and will put you back where you belong in the hierarchy.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)