Author Topic: Bad Betti Behavior! Open for discussion!  (Read 5940 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Bad Betti Behavior! Open for discussion!
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:27:45 pm »
Yep!  We all go through stages.  I forgot how much transition there is between the second year and third year of a dog's life.  Greta changed drastically in temperment during this time.  Now, I can see some "issues" that may arise with Betti.  These are all things that I take responsibility for and I already realize I've not done everything the way I should have, so there is no need for discussion there.

Anyway, some may know little Betti's story: she came to me from a breeder who confiscated her from neglectful owners.  Supposedly, these "owners" had a big yard and just wanted a "cool looking" rottweiler to add to their collection of other dogs.  So, Betti ended up occupying their back yard.  She was not too well cared for as she was very timid, unsocialized and afraid to confront the other dogs in order to "eat".  She was malnourished, with anal gland infection, ear infection and UTI.  Furthermore, she required intense socialization, which ended up being a bit slow and "unintense", such as attending Social Skills I class and going to the park frequently.

But, Betti, first of all, lunges at my son while his back is turned.  She been doing this for a while and the obedience instructors at the "positive reward" school she attends said that my son, who is fifteen years old, needs to take it upon himself to make every interaction with Betti a positive one.  Therefore, he should always carry treats and offer them to her "non-confronationally" every time she comes to him.

Of course, my son is uncooperative and can barely bathe himself, let alone understand canine body language.  Plus I just don't think he cares, either.  I've explained to him pack order and dominance and how it is up to him to assert himself with Betti in order for her to trust him.  Because if I step in I believe she is smart enough to realize that when I am not there she can take the opportunity to harrass him worse than ever before.

I am thinking of reverting to my prior training methods with a choke collar and treats as rewards.  We did begin with clicker training due to Betti's shyness, but now "I"...not "we"...face some challenges that are becoming more significant day by day.  I do not want it to become intolerable, so I am thinking about going back to traditional training and also using some dog language, such as pushing her onto the floor and holding her there whenever she lunges at someone's back.

What do you think?  Does this sound like a good way to break her of this nasty and increasingly alarming habit of snapping at people as they walk by?

Her other issue at present is the fact that once she moved in with me she was with someone (human) 24/7.  Last week she encountered her first episodes of "home without an adult around"...she was with my son and Lou and Greta, our two other dogs. 

I also have a new bf who does not want dogs to sleep on the bed because we are both tired actually because of the jobs we do and our early schedules, so Betti's anxiety is something I need to curb as soon as possible, because I do not want my bf to develop a disliking for her and to feel she is out of control.

She is up all night trying to get into things...such as the trash.  I am unable to keep people in check as far as making sure the cabinet door is secure, so I think I will need a covered trash compartment that is Betti proof.  Yet, my son swears she retrieved the squirt gun from the top of the fridge last night.  She has been grabbing things that my bf has with him and shredding them when we are not looking.  She loves junk mail and books, too.

She seems to do this when she is anxious and I know that with my previous bf gone now it has been really hard on her.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help Betti adjust and to help her refrain from snapping at people when they walk by?

I do not want her to end up biting anyone.  Should I go ahead and return to the former dog training methods of being more firm and rewarding good behavior, etc.?
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

Re: Bad Betti Behavior! Open for discussion!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:08:10 am »
sounds like an easy habit to break her of.  Lady is forceful sometimes and a simple NO doesn't work.  I take her by the scuff of the neck and force her to lay down on the floor or grass or whatever.  This seems to make her calm submissive.    She's starting to nip playfully.  I take her muzzle and hold it tightly...some imtes tight enough for her to moan as if to say ok ok ok i get the point. 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:55:04 am »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It is so easy to feel stumped when dealing with one's own situation, even if the answer is right there.  This really helps level my head and gain perspective.  Great advice!  I will come back to it again and again for reference when I get confused.  It's the emotions that get in the way.  Too close to home and I get stumped.  All I keep thinking is, "I need to do something about this!" over and over, but do not know where to begin.  Now I do!
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:56:40 am »
they notice change like no one's business.  They'll be ok.  I've had dogs go through divorce and break ups...and they adjust fine.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 09:02:21 am »
have you tried doggy downers?  I hate them...but it might calm her down just until the stress wears off.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 09:04:10 am »
Hmmm....suffic e to say we were joking about that.  The bf said, "Just give her an Ativan and it will all be good!"  He was kidding, of course.  I suppose I could call the vet about it, but I'd like to try some behavior mod first.  She tends to be a bit high strung.  Is Grace that way, too?  From what I gather she is.  Grace is the smaller pup, right?  Lady is the big girl?

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 09:06:02 am »
I think the above suggestions are terrific. I started out  clicker training our one female rotti and she started to show some issues too.  We had moved to a different city-I think she found the move stressful. I found a really great trainer for rottis and started more tradition training with her. The results were phenominal. We went from having a dog that we thought we may have to find a new home for due to  beginning agression and dominance prob to a very loving family dog. I believe it changed because we did find a great trainer that understood the breed etc,and we stayed on top of her at all times with corrections for showing any of the unwanted behaviour.
Best of Luck  ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 09:08:20 am »
where does one get a clicker?

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 09:11:50 am »
Ice -

That is exactly what I am beginning to think.  I've taken her to class for nearly a year now and have not had the same results as I did with traditional methods.  Not to say that the clicker method does not work.  But, I think sometimes there are dogs that need a different method.  Betti is not food motivated, but she can also be very timid.  Now, she is beginning to show signs of being pushy and bratty...the prima donna is coming out!  I think I need to "nip it in the bum" so-to-speak before it gets out of hand.  The traditional methods are easier and require less effort and I am familiar with them from training Greta and Lou for CGC.  Perhaps the fact that it is familiar to me will cause me to spend more time on it and, therefore, receive better results...

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 09:11:59 am »
You can usually get clickers at PetSmart, Petco, pet supply stores.  They usually only cost a dollar or two, and are often right up by the registers.

I agree with the comments from everyone else, and do think that Betti is just reacting to the stress of the changes in her environment.  This stress, combined with the whole "coming of age" thing that she is going thru is causing her to try to re-evaluate where she fits into the family group, and whether all the same rules apply...

Stay consistent, and don't feel bad if you need to shake up your training a bit.  Different methods work on different dogs.  I am a huge fan of clicker training, but it is is not for Betti, then bravo for you being a perceptive enough mom to realize that.  Plus if you feel more comfortable with your other method of training, you are going be more confident with it, which will translate to Betti.  Just pick what works for you and be consistent...   ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:21:14 am by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 09:15:09 am »
Yup. Lady is the big one.  she's the calm one.
Grace is the one that only needs 4 hours of sleep at night.  I got some "dog liesure" pills at the pet store...$12 for 60 pills.  It extends her sleep by about an hour...and on top of that I run her tired till about 11:30 pm.  She's got so much energy.  I hate doing it...but she really needs to relax a little.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 09:19:53 am »
Thanks for answering Lins's question about where to get clickers, Marsi!  I received them at class, so I am not sure where to buy them.  I tried to find a very short lead...I forget the name, but they are about three or four inches long and dangle so they can be grabbed during activities like canine dance class, but the pet store here did not have them nor know what I was talking about.

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 09:21:35 am »
I  agree Moonlitcroatia .  I have seen amazing results with clicker training. I think it depends on your dogs personality. Betti seems to have a similar personality like Katie had. It was funny because Katie was timid to a certain unkknown things. Then the exact same thing started happening the pushy, bratty  attitude came. The one vet said that Katie should have  had "balls"  with her attitude. He treated her at the beginning when we were clicker training. We went back to him after we had moved and started the more traditional training--he could not beleive th difference. She was the alpha dog in this house...poor Puck endured some harsh scoldings from her and he outweighed her by 40 pounds.lol  :o

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 09:23:14 am »
Thanks for answering Lins's question about where to get clickers, Marsi!  I received them at class, so I am not sure where to buy them.  I tried to find a very short lead...I forget the name, but they are about three or four inches long and dangle so they can be grabbed during activities like canine dance class, but the pet store here did not have them nor know what I was talking about.

Yeah, I know what you mean - almost just like the loop part of a leash with nothing else attached?  Really short?  We used them when I taught obedience, but we always just called them a "tabbie", and I have no clue what they are really called!   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*