Author Topic: Lady is limping  (Read 5736 times)

lins_saving_grace

Re: Lady is limping
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 07:24:23 am »
Lady is allowed to get off the couch tomorrow.  She wants to do more which is a good sign.  She took the leash this morning for a morning spin in the yard.  (i must get a video of that to explain it well) 
She still favors her leg a little but should be ok. :) 

lins_saving_grace

Re: Lady is limping
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 07:26:59 am »
Which ligament is torn and how severe is the tear?  I ask because the cruciate ligament, when torn, can require surgery.  I'm sure your vet knows the ropes, though.  Greta has a cruciate ligament tear.  It's an old injury and wouldn't you know it had to be on the opposite hind leg as her hip fracture.  So, when she limps it is because of the cruciate ligament in her knee and not the bad hip.  I looked into repairing the cruciate, but opted after a long debate that it is better not to put her through it.  She tore it over four years ago and has not torn the other one.  They say that sometimes they tear both and then it is best to do surgery.  But for Greta's problem there is a special surgery called TPLO surgery.  I will post more about this for everyone's reference in the articles, reference forum.

One thing I do for Greta is massage.  I think it really helps with the healing to increase circulation and relax the beastie a bit. ;D
I saw Grace's breeder's handler saturday and she mentioned that too.  It's her left leg...and her foot seems to be more sore than her knee...but I'm sure it's all related somehow.  If she's not better soon...or if she seems better but has a replapse I'll ask the vet about that curciate lig.  :)  thank you! 
Oh I give them doggie massages often.