Author Topic: So, I was thinking, Irish Wolfhound or Mastiff...  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
So, I was thinking, Irish Wolfhound or Mastiff...
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:26 am »
It's official, I am having puppy cravings!  I have been researching Mastiffs and Irish Wolfhounds.  The problem with the IWs is that I've read that they live only for 6-8 years.  Anyone know if this is true?  I don't think I could bear losing a dog so soon. 
The drawback of the Mastiff is the leaning thing.  We're thinking about kids and everything I read says no toddlers or babies with Mastiffs.  Any of you Mastiff people have an opinion on that?  Thanks.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: So, I was thinking, Irish Wolfhound or Mastiff...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:02:51 am »
the leaning thing?  You mean where they lean on you?  That can be trained out of them.  Gunther is not allowed to lean on anyone unless he has their permission (and I would rather he not do it even then). I am afraid he will do it to an elderly person or child and just knock them right over.

As for the IW and age, I think they are living a bit longer than that nowdays, but still a relatively short lifespan.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:00 am »
I didn't know that Danes leaned-good to know. I am sort of considering a Great Dane too.  Hmm, so many breeds, so afraid that my husband is going to have a nervous breakdown when he realizes that I'm really serious about getting another dog and that it won't be the last!
Another question, anyone know if Mastiffs, IWs, and, might as well add Danes to the possible list, are good with livestock?  I am looking into getting some goats and possibly mini donkeys when we move to the farm!  I can't wait to have my zoo.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:56 am »
If you are going to have livestock, an Irish Wolfhound might not be a good idea. Since they are sighthounds it is in their nature to chase things that run. Just a thought.
Otherwise I understand that they are well worth having as companions even despite their shorter lifespan. :) I have been researching them for a while. ::)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:49:22 am »
I spoke to an IW breeder before we got our first Newf and she finished it for me when she said that an IW starts to die as soon as they stop growing.  Now, I don't know if that is true throughout the breed, but it was enough to scare me away. 

The irony is my first two Newfs only lived to be just over three years old.  So I guess my new feeling is get the dog you love and take your chances.  As we are all watching with Barkley, a few great days with the dog you love are better than none at all!  JMHO.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:46 am »
I always say if they grow up with them, more than likely they will be good with the "family" animals.  Even greyhounds can get used to cats.

I do know that Gunther's breeder had horses and 2 danes.  And I saw a video once on tv of a great dane that had it's own pet........... a miniature pony. He would even lead the thing around by a rope.....lol

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:05:16 pm »
I know that our Mastiff/Golden mix (looked a lot like a great dane) was really good with our animals, he ignored the horses and cows and chickens...tri ed to share the pigs slop, was great with the cats and ferrets. My neighbor has an English Mastiff and she's great with all sorts of animals too, they have cats, 2 mojo's, a horse, a mini, and a bunch of goats! We didn't have many animals when we had our dane but she did well with the cows, cats and POA that we had while she was with us.

I tend to think like Zoo Crew, if they grow up with them, then they usually will be good around them. The only dog we've had so far that really can be a pain sometimes is Arisha my dad's husky/mal...but not in a bad way she likes to sit and watch (and help herd) the cows and will go out into the corral and sit on the manure pile and watch Finnigan (my 3 week old foal)...she doesn't chase them, or bark at them or try to hurt them...she just watches them.