Akitas > Akita Discussions

Akitas and off-leash dog parks?

<< < (6/6)

caperica:
I agree that a dog is as good as its handler, but a responsible handler. I do not believe a responsible Akita owner would put their dog or other peoples dogs into that situation. It is dangerous and unpredictable.
The Shepherd owner (above) obviously has not had an Akita. You do not want "a lesson learned" at the expense of another dog or your. I say the other dog first because the out come for the other will probably be worse. Akitas are fast and powerful.
Not a good way to "teach" a dog anything.

Take a look at the discussion on Akita temperament. It will help you a lot I think.

Bubbalove:
I have found it incredibly stressful to take our akita boy to a dog park.  When he was a pup we did it regularly (4-5 times a week) and things were always tentative.  He was naturally bigger and rougher than his same age counterparts.  It was more the people at the dog park that we dreaded.  They would react negatively as soon as they saw him ("ahhh...it's an aggressive akita")they would start scooping up their shiz tu's and heading toward the exit.  It was ridiculous. 
Now, he is 2/5 years and we will not take him because he has shown some aggression toward my neighbors bulldog.  I think it's just a bad mix (Bulldogs are known for not being tolerant of other dogs).  We are flirting with the idea of getting another dog who can really ruf and tumble with our akita since we think that him growing up as an 'only child' is going to be a disservice in the long run. 
It's a tough situation...on e I have been hoping to find a solution to as well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version