Author Topic: American Akita  (Read 3516 times)

Offline arfondavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
American Akita
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:23 am »
Hi, I'm all new on this site/forum....please be nice ;) LOL

I'm trying my best to find out as much information as possible about an American Akita as I'm interested in getting one.

But like any other dog, I know I need time to be with 'em and a good living environment.

At the moment I'm not sure if our back garden is suitable - we have a wall around 6ft and where we share the wall with our next door neighbour is approx 3ft. We just have a normal semi-detached house (not sure if the Akita will be suited living in an average sized house)

We don't have any children, but we do have small children within the family which would be coming over on a regular basis.

Also I'm unable to find breeders within the North Wales (UK) area...does anyone on here know of any?

Thanks  :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: American Akita
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:23 am »
ok here goes.  the "american" akita is a lot bigger than the original japanese version.  for instance, males can get up to 120lbs, mine weighs 140 lbs unless he's sick or we try to get him on another diet.  they are VERY hard headed.  a 3 foot wall will NOT keep them in your yard.  they need lots of training, they are a very hard headed dog.  exercise is also a must if you don't have a large area for them to be in.  this frustration can translate into a form of aggression, or a new habit of destroying things in the house, etc.  we have a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, on just shy of an acre and axle still gets frustrated b/c of the lack of room and he's 4 years old now.  the good thing is they are VERY smart.  sometimes, too smart for their own good!  mine knows how to open doors, which could be a problem if you don't keep your front door locked when you leave.   they do very well with routine, but if you do go the routine way be prepared if you upset that schedule because they'll figure it out and if they've been on it long enough they'll get very upset.  you must be very well versed in dogs, because they will test you.  even the most submissive akita will test you horribly.  also, be prepared for insurance companies and renters, etc, to deny you because you own the breed.  also note the vet bills will be more since they're a large breed, and remember they shed HORRIBLY.  we have fur bunnies everywhere when axle blows his coat twice a year, and that's after i fill a few bags with hair i've brushed off of him!  if they're around kids a lot as a puppy they're GREAT with them, but at the same time if they're not exposed to them on a daily basis they can be a nightmare with kids and can cause a lot of damage if they were to bite!  axle will let a kid do anything to him, but at the same time i've seen akita's that have seriously hurt kids b/c the owners thought the "breed" was good with kid.  the breed "is" if the tolerance is nurtured.  socialization is a MUST with them.  when they're puppies, yes, it's cute that they jump on you.  when they grow up and turn into huge misbehaved dogs, it causes a lot of problems, especially if you don't teach them they're not dominant and they push people around and possibly become aggressive.  also, check the breeder out, go to a kennel club and ask for advice because aggression can be bred into them and if the wrong people breed (remember, for a while they were bred for fighting), you can come home with a very predisposed naughty dog.  also ask about health problems.  akita's can get hip displasia and elbow displasia, as well as other problems and it is very heart breaking to watch a dog with genetic problems (trust me, axle is from a BYB and it kills me sometimes when his joints flare up).  research the breed so you know what they're known to get.  anywho, if you raise a well trained / socialized akita they are awesome dogs to own and will be a lifetime friend!  i'm not trying to scare you away from the breed, but a lot of people get them and then say they didn't know how big they'd get, how much they'd cost, or how hard they are to raise correctly.  if you do get one though i'd LOVE to see pictures!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 02:41:11 am »
i'm sure you know, there are two types of akita.  the "short" coat and the "long" coat.  don't let it fool you, the short version sheds horribly also, ha ha.  also you should consider your vehicle, do you have room for a big dog in it?  this is axle, he's starting to show his age  :'(  btw, welcome to bpo!

32" at the shoulder
140lbs
4 years old
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:10 am »
And, OMG, Steff, I didn't realize that Axel was so big!

axle is 4 inches over the breed standard, and 20lbs over it.  he's not "obese" by any means, he's still got a waist to him also.  when he's completely chunky, he can get up to 150-160lbs but that's with him still having a figure.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline arfondavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:16:34 am »
How nice is Axel!!!

Thanks for all of your help and warm welcome :)

Am I correct in thinking that you need to spend a lot of time with the Akita? I have 2 jobs (a "normal hours" during the week and night work on the weekends) But I'm at home if not at work.

Sorry if I'm been a pain just asking questions :-\ But I'm just finding out if my dream of owning an American Akita can be a reality and not just a dream.

P.S Just seen this clip on youtube....Cut e!! Ha ha ha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:21:06 am by arfondavis »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:46:11 am »
thanks for the compliment!

akita puppies need a TON of time.  they need constant supervision, and constant training.  they probably wouldn't do very good being left alone all day unless you had someone come by and potty / play / walk with them twice a day or something.  they can become very destructive if they're left alone.  when axle was 4 months old, i had my first son.  the first day i was gone he ate completely though the crate, getting out into the bathroom. he ate the door framing up to 3 foot, the cabinet in my mom's bathroom, the shower curtain, and started on the door and the plumbing under the sink.  that was while my mom was gone 1 hour to get some groceries!  the day he did this, he also wore his nails down to the point they bled and yanked a few teeth out because he was so upset.  he also did this when i had my second son, thankfully now he's "almost" outgrown his destructivenes s. 

you may consider seeing if there is a rescue somewhere near you, this way you skip most of the destructive phase, and also adults can entertain themselves much better than puppies! 

also, if you do get one, consider doing something so they have a "job."  things such as letting them carry packs with something in it on walks, or even pulling carts after the second year (or some other "job") will help them be a LOT happier dogs.  remember, they're a working breed and they MUST have something to "do" or they'll get frustrated!

keep us updated, whatever you decide!  when you get a dog we'd all love to see pictures!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:26 am »
here's an akita rescue in the UK, it's called "the akita rescue and welfare trust"

http://www.akitarescue.org.uk/

they have akitas from 5months and up on their site.  one is 13 months and looks a TON like axle!

here's a breeder in the UK

http://www.dantiakitas.co.uk/litters.shtml#litters
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline arfondavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 12:18:00 am »
Thanks for the two links schelmischekitty will have a good look at them at home tonight.

Also the information about the amount of time needed to spend with 'em as a pup.